V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Yep - some pics would be cool! Glad you like the bike and hope you'll keep posting about it as you put on more miles. IMO, they did a nice job!

·
Registered
433 Posts
No it was not a troll but people who have had problems with their thunderstroke engine. These problems are documented and real unless your flavor of kool-aid is Indian. No engine is perfect no matter how many R&D test miles they say they have on it. BTW, HD said they tested TC engine for 2.5 million miles before release.

I'm curious have you not visited the Indian forums and read about these problems, they have even been posted on the Indian FB page?

Clack clack.
I never read any of that stuff on the forums before I bought mine. In fact this is the first I am reading about it now.

I test rode a Chieftain a year or so ago and loved it. Last month I went to look at a Scout and came home with a 2015 Chieftain. I am sure there will be a problem or two but I am not worried.

This is the best bike I have ever owned/ridden!

IMHO...I am not sure why anyone would buy a Street Glide over a Chieftain unless you don't care for the Indian styling. You get a lot more for your $$$ with this machine. Each to his own.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Talked with a long silver haired Harley rider in billings,mt coming from California with 3800 miles on his 2016 Indian chief today and Alls he could say was he wished he'd got it sooner. He made some modifications like replacing the stock seat with a HD tractor seat w/out the springs and a leather tour pack. He couldn't say enough good about it. He felt because Polaris had it was a plus for longevity. He was initially concerned about engine heat in hot weather as it was 95 degrees out but that had been an issue in earlier models that have since been resolved.

I may pull the trigger on a Roadmaster? Will go to the nearest dealership when I get home. Doesn't hurt to Intel the bike.

A few concerns for me is the nearest dealership is 60+ as opposed to 10 miles for my local HD shop. Polaris. Harley really has what they do dialed in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Go on a Indian form. Complaints of a lot oh heat coming of the motor, sound familiar doesn't it. They have had a recall, motor running very hot, bike could catch on fire. A good bike, but not perfect. One owner took his bike to the dealer, his pipes were glowing red. Dealer " it's ok, they all do this". On this form, of course a Indian is going to tell you how great his bike is. In his eyes it is.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Go on a Indian form. Complaints of a lot oh heat coming of the motor, sound familiar doesn't it. They have had a recall, motor running very hot, bike could catch on fire. A good bike, but not perfect. One owner took his bike to the dealer, his pipes were glowing red. Dealer " it's ok, they all do this". On this form, of course a Indian is going to tell you how great his bike is. In his eyes it is.
Even for the 2016's?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Friend of mine has one ... a 2014 I think. It caught fire a month or so ago.... apparently a gas tank weld failed and leaking gas ignited. Damage repaired under warranty.

Other than that he loves the bike.

Anybody else have fire problems?
That's not surprising.

I would NEVER buy anything made by Polaris, I don't care how nice it looks or rides. As a guy who has to work on their horribly designed poor excuses for ATV's there is no way you could get me on the open road with something that they've made.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Keep us up to date on how the bike is going.
Looks like so far so good. Hey, Im not brand loyal unless the brand gives me a reason to be but I never trash other brands.

So far my 2014 Road King, due to hit exactly 2 years old next week and 13,000 miles on the clock (almost) has not been in for warranty service until this week.
Bottom line?
1. They ordered a front spark plug wire at my request, it was rubbing against the frame/gas tank and a little chaffed.
2. They replaced the saddle bag latch on a recall.

Thats it! Im amazed, bike is awesome. Love the RK.

Rider Magazine did a comparison between the new Springfield and Road King in the Sept 16 issue.
Bottom line it was a toss up but the toss was in Springfields favor, YET, so close it was a matter of what you were looking for in the bike.

To the RK, hands down they said the RK handled far better. Make no mistake, I was shocked in the handling dept how they trashed the Springfield.
Also, heat, the RK was better. Even though the RK engine is smaller they said the RK had more get up and go.

In comfort and seating position they gave it to Springfield.

All is good, I just feel for the same cost and more I could not buy a product on the market for just one year or 3 years vs another one that has been for decades unless there was some glaring reason..

Polaris has not sold me yet, the Victory line has struggled for almost 2 decades and they just about give up on it and take on a new name, Indian. Leaving out in the woods the Victory owners and resale in the trash. Victories last Road King killer was supposed to be the Cross Roads, didnt work out to well and they killed it and its resale value.

Polaris motorcycles are a tiny part of Polaris business, less then 20%. Be wary of a company known to buy, sell and trade names for profit.
At the same time, competition is great. I kind of like the Springfield, Ill never get over that fender though but I like the hardware feel to the bike, like I do the Road King.

BTW - without photos, posts on so called new bikes do not exist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Crack me up!

This is a mechanical device. As with all machines you will have a failure every now and then. However one out of thousands of Thunderstoke motors is not bad odds. Even 100 out of thousands is not bad. Some people just like to take the worst of something really good and bring light to it. If you look at any brand you can find a tread about failures. Not to mention HD because it would take years to go through all of them. Just enjoy your new Indians and ride them. They will give you years of reliable service and fun. Indian is here to stay. Polaris is a company just like Harley only more diversified in it endeavors. They are very committed to the Indian brand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got to ride a used 14 chieftain last year but only 6-7 miles demo route-not able to go all the way thru the gears. noticed vibration in 12&3 so will stick to my Harley.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Thats a 14..they're on to the 17's and like HD they seem to always be on the improvement trail each year.

the 17's are already a leap and bound above the 16's.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Reading on the Indian Form. According to Indian factory reps, the 2014-2016 are "clackers" the jury is still out on the 17's. Recall on the
2014-2016 - Chief Classic,Dark Hourse,Chieftain, Roadmaster, Vintage and the Chieftain Dark Horse. Bikes manufactured April 15 2013 to
June 16 2015. The engine may misfire,unburied fuel may pass through parts of the exhaust system, raising exhaust temps. This may cause an increased risk of fire. No motor cycle is the "greatest" They all have their problems. This form is very friendly to all bikes. Can't say that about other forms.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
I like this forum pretty good. A friend from another forum didn't want to join because he thought this was another club. I said this is not a "G" rated forum. The mods are over here calling each other
a$$holes. That was a couple months ago. Anyways my buddy joined the fun.

tarheel

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rode a new Springfield yesterday on a demo ride and was totally impressed with the handling & power and a lot less vibration than my Harley.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just had a buddy's Chieftain engine fail this summer while under full warranty. Polaris had zero engines available and no parts. Would be two weeks before they could put something together. So instead of getting a replacement engine, or everything internal (the case's we fine), they did let the dealer pull a used one out of a used bike and put in his. Not sure how ID feel about that, but, it did solve the problem.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rode a new Springfield yesterday on a demo ride and was totally impressed with the handling & power and a lot less vibration than my Harley.
I really liked the Springfield Best on Looks and Handling , but with the wife who does like ride along now and then, approved the Chieftain so with Tunes and Fairing , that's what I have with no regrets .. As least the Chieftain Fairing Windshield is Adjustable ..

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Just had a buddy's Chieftain engine fail this summer while under full warranty. Polaris had zero engines available and no parts. Would be two weeks before they could put something together. So instead of getting a replacement engine, or everything internal (the case's we fine), they did let the dealer pull a used one out of a used bike and put in his. Not sure how ID feel about that, but, it did solve the problem.
The Dealer network,and support by the Company, are Pitiful.. especially when they took the time to create a pretty good product... Cheap made... but pretty nice.

I really liked the Springfield Best on Looks and Handling , but with the wife who does like ride along now and then, approved the Chieftain so with Tunes and Fairing , that's what I have with no regrets .. As least the Chieftain Fairing Windshield is Adjustable ..
Oh My!!! I cannot get away from the Vintage!!!
Ours was a bit Pricey, dressed this way... but, My Bitter Half, will have no other...
http://www.amraonline.com/BikePics/IndianRig.jpg

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
I've heard that Polaris/Indian is bleeding money and actual Indian sales aren't so good, does anyone have any numbers of production? Saw pics of the Indian FTR-1200 production bike and it looks NOTHING like the prototypes or the actual Indian flat track bikes. That would have been something i was interested in, but not if i had to drop it off at Roland Sands shop to make it look like a street tracker.
Tim

21 - 40 of 71 Posts