V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Friend of mine has one ... a 2014 I think. It caught fire a month or so ago.... apparently a gas tank weld failed and leaking gas ignited. Damage repaired under warranty.

Other than that he loves the bike.

Anybody else have fire problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Im having a hard time getting behind it.

The name is bought and paid for.

In my eyes its another knockoff Vtwin unless it steps up with some innovation that gives it a leg up.

The Gilroy Indians were horrific abomonations, I'm in wait and see mode.

Not a hater, but I saw many more than one get burned the last time around.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good morning,
The chieftain is one of the best motorcycles I have ridden because, without going into great detail, suspension, power, comfort, lo speed and hi speed maneuverability. I have an affinity towards American Indians, the heritage of Indian motorcycles of the past, and the machine looks retro. :))

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im having a hard time getting behind it.

The name is bought and paid for.

In my eyes its another knockoff Vtwin unless it steps up with some innovation that gives it a leg up.

The Gilroy Indians were horrific abomonations, I'm in wait and see mode.

Not a hater, but I saw many more than one get burned the last time around.
Polaris is a corporation, profits are the motivation, they buy, sell, trade any "group or division" that is doing well or not doing well, from jet skis (now sold off) to snowmobiles, to generators to ATVs to war machines to people moving electric cars.

It certainly is not a specialized motorcycle manufacturer like HD. They bought a name, Indian and seem to have done a terrific job with it, lets see what the next decade holds, the Victory brand at one time was supposed to be the HD killer, they failed with that, and came up with another.

I dont really care, except some comments in here, one would think Indian is taking over Harley, being HD commands over 50% of the cruiser market and Indian less then 3% (im being generous) I think they have a way to go. If they dont move enough product, like any multi conglomerate they will cut prices, like they did with Vics to move them off the floor, that is fine too but will hurt the guy who paid sticker.

Competition is good though, another person in here states the "modern" oil system of combining transmission,primary and engine oil in one. The inexpensive metrics have been doing that for decades, cost effective and cheap.

I have nothing against a big corporation going head to head with a speciality bike maker, the consumer wins, but lets just remember, Polaris industries, is just that, Polaris industries. Trading, buying, selling names and companies with other companies for profit. If a division does bad, they dump it.

HD has one business and a commitment to that business or they are in DS.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Makes sense alarmguy. Seems Polaris has done quite well with Victory. Around here there seems to be a decent dealer network and I see quite a few Vics on the road. As you say though, far from being an HD killer.

I really do hope the Polaris Indian succeeds. There's a heritage there equal to HD (as far as I'm concerned), and the classic looks are very cool, can't be beat. And it would be great to have another USA sickle on the steady and rumble'n down the road. If I was not on the verge of retirement, and had the coin to spend I would defineatly be taking a serious look at Indian.

·
Premium Member
14,468 Posts
I think its great that there are two more American cruisers in the competition mix--it often sparks innovation of both build and quality control.
Just as it should be.
I see a few Vics and Indians, but up here in NH--there is no comparison of numbers.

Its interesting to watch the road by my house, where there is a near constant flow of bike traffic and nearly all Harley's. And I'm hear to tell ya, by no means are they all old codgers. In fact, I'd wager the majority between 30-50 years of age.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Same here, tons of HD's, and riders ages and genders vary quite a bit. Not all old phart white guys by any means.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Polaris is a corporation, profits are the motivation, they buy, sell, trade any "group or division" that is doing well or not doing well, from jet skis (now sold off) to snowmobiles, to generators to ATVs to war machines to people moving electric cars.

It certainly is not a specialized motorcycle manufacturer like HD. They bought a name, Indian and seem to have done a terrific job with it, lets see what the next decade holds, the Victory brand at one time was supposed to be the HD killer, they failed with that, and came up with another.

I dont really care, except some comments in here, one would think Indian is taking over Harley, being HD commands over 50% of the cruiser market and Indian less then 3% (im being generous) I think they have a way to go. If they dont move enough product, like any multi conglomerate they will cut prices, like they did with Vics to move them off the floor, that is fine too but will hurt the guy who paid sticker.

Competition is good though, another person in here states the "modern" oil system of combining transmission,primary and engine oil in one. The inexpensive metrics have been doing that for decades, cost effective and cheap.

I have nothing against a big corporation going head to head with a speciality bike maker, the consumer wins, but lets just remember, Polaris industries, is just that, Polaris industries. Trading, buying, selling names and companies with other companies for profit. If a division does bad, they dump it.

HD has one business and a commitment to that business or they are in DS.
Yup. Well said,covered all the bases and left no room for a rebuttel. You put your thoughts to words very well. One of the few intelligent posts I ever read on any forum. Fact based,pleasant, not rude and informative.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chieftain is a better bike than the Rushmore street glide I rode by far. The engine design is technologically superior, longer lasting, lower maintainence, one resoviour to fill. The ride is more comfortable, the frame doesn't flex during hi speed turns, almost 5" of travel in rear suspension, the glide has 2" and comfort is paramount for me. Boom box, gps, not a deal breaker for people that like to ride, I'm fine with the mediocre stero sound. The breaks are great and low center of gravity makes low speed handling light and more than manageable. Some have complained about "soft paint", kinda has a antique look, yes a little soft, fits the bike IMO. The speed is about the same. The Indian is less expensive in comparison for what the stock bike is. I said it was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, not the best. Polaris is kicking ass and taking names, but have no fear it will take years for HD to lose their market share.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Glad to hear from another Indian rider. IMO Polaris is doing things right and building bikes that are superior to their competition. Not knocking HD, but no comparison in regards to engineering, performance and value between them and HD. HD makes a good bike and they'll make it better. We all win.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Chieftain is a better bike than the Rushmore street glide I rode by far. The engine design is technologically superior, longer lasting, lower maintainence, one resoviour to fill. The ride is more comfortable, the frame doesn't flex during hi speed turns, almost 5" of travel in rear suspension, the glide has 2" and comfort is paramount for me. Boom box, gps, not a deal breaker for people that like to ride, I'm fine with the mediocre stero sound. The breaks are great and low center of gravity makes low speed handling light and more than manageable. Some have complained about "soft paint", kinda has a antique look, yes a little soft, fits the bike IMO. The speed is about the same. The Indian is less expensive in comparison for what the stock bike is. I said it was one of the best bikes I've ever ridden, not the best. Polaris is kicking ass and taking names, but have no fear it will take years for HD to lose their market share.
Except for the heat, the clacking and possible engine failure

http://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/finally.8420/
http://www.chiefmotorcycleforum.com/general-chief-motorcycle-discussion/uh-oh-motor-went/

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The heat? I live in south fl. It's always hot. All the bikes I've owned have heat coming off the engine, mine doesn't seem to be any worse now than before. Clacking ? Sounds like something a HD troll brings up on the indian forum. My 2015 is no louder up top than my Harley's. From what I understand they put a million miles plus in R&D on the 111 thunderstroke engine. For a newer bike on the market Polaris have done an amazing job. Hope the trend continues.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The heat? I live in south fl. It's always hot. All the bikes I've owned have heat coming off the engine, mine doesn't seem to be any worse now than before. Clacking ? Sounds like something a HD troll brings up on the indian forum. My 2015 is no louder up top than my Harley's. From what I understand they put a million miles plus in R&D on the 111 thunderstroke engine. For a newer bike on the market Polaris have done an amazing job. Hope the trend continues.
No it was not a troll but people who have had problems with their thunderstroke engine. These problems are documented and real unless your flavor of kool-aid is Indian. No engine is perfect no matter how many R&D test miles they say they have on it. BTW, HD said they tested TC engine for 2.5 million miles before release.

I'm curious have you not visited the Indian forums and read about these problems, they have even been posted on the Indian FB page?

Clack clack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What's up biped people's ? Time for a Indian chieftain update.
Have had my latest and greatest bike since last December, black on chrome, Vance and Hines exhaust, big sucker air cleaner, leather fringe on floorboards and rear fender, chrome fender bumpers. The whole look of the bike has really grown on me, from the TS engine to valance fenders. Have about 5k miles on her now with no mechanical problems. 41 MPG, feeling more comfortable as time goes by and I love the way she handles, lean angle is incredible, 5 inches of rear shock travel gives me a cushy but we'll handling ride, should be called a sport tourer. She will actually pull the front wheel off the ground in 2nd gear, which has more than pleasantly surprised me. The electric windshield I thought was a gimmick at first, now it's invaluable in my eyes for looks and functionality. Electric locks for the bags work well, the digital display has tons of info, but speakers could be better quality. The top end "noise" I've read about is no louder or even more quiet than my road King was. In closing, this bike is simply terrific, and it's kinda nice being the only Indian on the block when out and about. Thank you Polaris, for not only rebuilding an iconic American motorcycle, but doing it incredibly well.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts