V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Zippers Redshift 577 cams? any dyno sheets? Thinking of using one on my street glide with 98 inch kit

·
"Pimpin aint easy"
182 Posts
"Just put any old thing in there. These are just air pumps, right?" LOL! Welcome to my world a month ago. I can sell you some nice lifters when you figure out your cam.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no one used this cam yet ???????????

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I almost went with a Redshift cam with my current build I am putting together and ended up deciding on a Woods. I have heard good things about the Redshit cams and I don't think you can go wrong with them. If it has the lift / duration you want then give it a go.

·
Registered
266 Posts
sure have

Needless to say, there are so many engine variables, any prediction of performance is relative.

I ran the red shift 577 in a 98 ci build up to a 114 build on a daily basis. I have run it in my current build, but it is a bit too small for touring baggers in over 114 builds, in my experience. CCP is a bit high but quite acceptable. Nice cam if you match up the heads for the cam, at a minimum. Rev Perf can tell you about them and probably provide dyno sheets.

In a 114, the red shift 577 is a really nice bagger touring type small cam with the right heads. Still, 120 hp is easy to get in a 114 with this cam. The torque is like turning on a water faucet: it keeps comin' if you keep twisiting. You can run 10 to 1 compression with it and still get power. 10.5 to one is no problem either. Dave Mackie has a little bigger cam that is pretty nice too at about 590 lift or so. Look at the duation of the red shift pretty closely; its a bit long for EFI bikes according to some builders but I had no problems with it on an EFI bike. This cam has a lot of TDC lift. the specs on nightrider.com for this cam are not correct the last time I checked. Zippers can give you accurate specs since they changed its profile (I suspect) a couple of years ago. Consensus of opinion is the 577 is a bit better cam than the closest Andrews according to Wolfgang Grasser (ami shootout TC winner a couple of years ago) who has run both in the same engine. Easier on valve train than comparable SnS cams, IMO. Not noisey. High valve seat pressure required, near 200. So consider running titanium retainers and keepers to keep weight down and you can use the lower seat pressure recommended by Zippers: low 180s at installed height. The beehive single valve spring might be an advantage for the same reason, but I have not used it, yet. Flouro treat the valve springs; large base AV&V springs with damper will do the job or use the Zippers springs for that cam.

Seabrook Trick Bagger

·
Registered
266 Posts
sure have

Needless to say, there are so many engine variables, any prediction of performance is relative.

I ran the red shift 577 in a 98 ci build up to a 114 build on a daily basis. I have run it in my current build, but it is a bit too small for touring baggers in over 114 builds, in my experience. CCP is a bit high but quite acceptable. Nice cam if you match up the heads for the cam, at a minimum. Rev Perf can tell you about them and probably provide dyno sheets.

In a 114, the red shift 577 is a really nice bagger touring type small cam with the right heads. Still, 120 hp is easy to get in a 114 with this cam. The torque is like turning on a water faucet: it keeps comin' if you keep twisiting. You can run 10 to 1 compression with it and still get power. 10.5 to one is no problem either. Dave Mackie has a little bigger cam that is pretty nice too at about 590 lift or so. Look at the duation of the red shift pretty closely; its a bit long for EFI bikes according to some builders but I had no problems with it on an EFI bike. This cam has a lot of TDC lift. the specs on nightrider.com for this cam are not correct the last time I checked. Zippers can give you accurate specs since they changed its profile (I suspect) a couple of years ago. Consensus of opinion is the 577 is a bit better cam than the closest Andrews according to Wolfgang Grasser (ami shootout TC winner a couple of years ago) who has run both in the same engine. Easier on valve train than comparable SnS cams, IMO. Not noisey. High valve seat pressure required, near 200. So consider running titanium retainers and keepers to keep weight down and you can use the lower seat pressure recommended by Zippers: low 180s at installed height. The beehive single valve spring might be an advantage for the same reason, but I have not used it, yet. Flouro treat the valve springs; large base AV&V springs with damper will do the job or use the Zippers springs for that cam.

Seabrook Trick Bagger

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STB said:

Seabrook Trick Bagger
I already have the 98" with 9.7 comp pistons/ beehive springs/titanium retainers (from HDWRENCH) rev perf is the ones who thought I should run the 577, I just didn't know anything about it, also this is a EFI bike.

" Flouro treat the valve springs"?????

·
Registered
266 Posts
Rdubu

you might check out the Redshift 575 and see what Brian thinks of it. It is a somewhat new grind for Zippers and is fairly close to the Redshift 577. I think Zippers is running the 575 in their 103 engines. I would be interested in knowing about the performance of the 575 up against the 577 and exactly what Zippers had in mind when the designed it.

STB

·
Registered
45 Posts
The redshift 575 was designed for the low comp CVO 103s as a bolt in cam. It has a torque curve as flat as the plains of Nebraska. My guess is that it will work well in 9 to 1 up to 10 to 1 motors since the Muscle Kit from Zippers is set at around 10 to 1. I just put one in my 04 SEEG but no dyno yet. I hear the gear drive version will be available very quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts