V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting the Zippers 107 muscle kit for my 2006 streetglide. Want to know if anyone has used this kit or knows anything about it, I understand that it sells for about $4300. Would also be interested in less expensive but similiar builds, I don't want to go with a stroker. Also I ride solo most of the time and use my bike for daily commuting and long weekend rides.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
What do you get for 4300??? Seems way too much for parts and now enough for them to do the build.

The kit is a axtell cylinder as for the piston I had thought they where using JE as the kit that I did for a customer from them was a JE piston but have since heard they use wiseco . But not that it matters really I am not a fanof the Axtell jugs period. DO a search you will come up with some intresting post' s. I have a set here that I had on my own engine and they would never seal, long story but what you will find is that I am not alone in the area as many others have had same problem with oil usage, smoking and so on.

As I do not bash other products please understand that I myslef had huge problems with this. The customer service was great they bent over backwards to fix the problem . It was to no avail but they did try .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98" kit looks interesting, how much would the whole set up cost for 2006 efi flhx. What hp and tq can i expect with thunderheader or vh pro pipe 2-1.

·
Registered
136 Posts
trucco said:
I am considering getting the Zippers 107 muscle kit for my 2006 streetglide. Want to know if anyone has used this kit or knows anything about it, I understand that it sells for about $4300. Would also be interested in less expensive but similiar builds, I don't want to go with a stroker. Also I ride solo most of the time and use my bike for daily commuting and long weekend rides.
I know a person who has a Zippers 107 kit on his Dyna. He runs neck to neck with 117's and 120's. He as the carb kit. Do not know anyone who has the efi kit. Note: he beats the hell about of that bike and it just keeps running.

I have the Axtell 107 jugs and pistons matched to Hillside heads ported and flowed for the Woods 9F cam. I am happy with my setup.

I think you would be happy with the Zippers kit, My total build cost was $4300. Re-using some parts I already had like roller rockers, lifters etc. Mine is carb also.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The basic kit is 4395 then you add gear drive 384, 235 for case boring, 50 for cam clearancing, 70 to machine rocker boxes. That comes to 5100 and some change AS well you still have to buy new timken bearings, have a shop press out races ( special tooling for case support) and then set crank end play more tools needed or pay a shop. I like the 107 as I like the 114 even more but they are not a easy on the pocket box build.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I like what I've heard about the 98" cylinders not having an iron liner...meaning the cylinders expand at a more even rate with the forged pistons for better seal...plus the aluminum will shed the heat quicker than the iron lining, making for a cooler running motor than a 95".

I've only got 20,000 miles on my 95" build, but when it starts feeling tired and needs a refreshening, I think I'll go with a Millenium 98 too. I was thinking of a 107, but why not save the money I'd spend on the case boring.

HDWrench... What do flat top pistons, with a .03" cometic gasket give you for compression? I run the Branch Flowmetrics #4 heads...sorry I don't have a cc volume to reference for you...but I know they mill off .05" and they fill and shaped the combustion chamber so I assume them to be fairly small. The website claims a 95" kit with flatops and .03" gasket makes for 9.8 to 1 compression. The reason I'm asking, is because I currently have domed JE pistons for 10.5 compression...which is what my cam is designed for. I'm hoping a flat top piston in 98" with thin gasket will atleast be 10.2 to 1

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The basic kit is set up to produce 9.7 compression with stock chambers so you are in the 80cc range with that much removed ,..your compression would be 10.1 with a .030 head gasket.

·
Registered
136 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
The basic kit is 4395 then you add gear drive 384, 235 for case boring, 50 for cam clearancing, 70 to machine rocker boxes. That comes to 5100 and some change AS well you still have to buy new timken bearings, have a shop press out races ( special tooling for case support) and then set crank end play more tools needed or pay a shop. I like the 107 as I like the 114 even more but they are not a easy on the pocket box build.
HD I agree. If I would of known about the 114 setup before I did the 107, I would of went that route. Still over squared and if boring the cases why not. I wish I would of known.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts