V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '04 Electra Glide, and I'm having a BIG probem with the exhaust: she's HOT. Damn hot. So hot there are things cookin' inside my jeans, that ought not to be slow-roastin'.

I'm planning on getting HD's "Fan Kit for Touring Models" (91550-00C), which is designed to blow air between the cylinders... but the trouble is, that kit is designed to cool the cylinders, not my sack.

In real life, it's the heat from the exhaust pipes as they cross under the frame, just beneath the seat, that's giving me trouble. Even on a recent 30* commute, once I got stuck in Godforsaken Fairfax's 24x7 traffic jam, I found myself catching the scent of well-done meat.

Does anyone know of any way to shield / baffle / eliminate / blow away this heat? How do others cope?

Traditionally, I've seen HD's pulled off the road in hot weather, and the riders always said it was because their motors needed cooling. That smacks of denial - there are things that cook a lot faster than a 1550 V-twin motor!

Help? :unsure:

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
Dibubba said:
I've got an '04 Electra Glide, and I'm having a BIG probem with the exhaust: she's HOT. Damn hot. So hot there are things cookin' inside my jeans, that ought not to be slow-roastin'.

I'm planning on getting HD's "Fan Kit for Touring Models" (91550-00C), which is designed to blow air between the cylinders... but the trouble is, that kit is designed to cool the cylinders, not my sack.

In real life, it's the heat from the exhaust pipes as they cross under the frame, just beneath the seat, that's giving me trouble. Even on a recent 30* commute, once I got stuck in Godforsaken Fairfax's 24x7 traffic jam, I found myself catching the scent of well-done meat.

Does anyone know of any way to shield / baffle / eliminate / blow away this heat? How do others cope?

Traditionally, I've seen HD's pulled off the road in hot weather, and the riders always said it was because their motors needed cooling. That smacks of denial - there are things that cook a lot faster than a 1550 V-twin motor!

Help? :unsure:
True duals run alot cooler as far as rider comfort goes.
RB

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
thinking about this some more...

- what about a couple of small muffin fans (like found in computers) under the edges of the set, blowing down?

- what about an oil cooler with some fans on it that you could switch on or have temp controlled?

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Dibubba said:
...In real life, it's the heat from the exhaust pipes as they cross under the frame, just beneath the seat, that's giving me trouble. Even on a recent 30* commute, once I got stuck in Godforsaken Fairfax's 24x7 traffic jam, I found myself catching the scent of well-done meat.

I had similar problems - it is the crossover pipe Harley uses to boost low-end torque in the heavier touring models. Works great for a little torque, but not so good for the rider, sometimes.

Here are things I did to promote better cooling:

switched to a 2:1 thunderheader - the rear cylinder exhaust is directed away from your thighs. Still great torque (unlike duals) but no exhaust headers right by your thigh/seat.

added Harley oil cooler - makes a difference, cooler oil is happier oil, and cools the engine a lot better

The cooling fan may be a good idea but I have not heard a lot of people happy with them; relocating the horn is a pain and the (very reliable and smart) parts guy at my old dealer said they had a lot of problems getting them to work as intended. I don't have specifics off the top of my head, but it makes me want to ask why.

Good luck - these are great motorcycles to ride, but the cooling issue is definitely key for warmer-weather riding.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
What did you use to tune the F.I. ? If the bike is running lean, then it will overheat very quickly. True duals do take some heat away but is only a band aid.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I'd start with a good dyno tune if you haven't already. I had problems with my bike running hotter than norm from day one. I've got (computer) cooling fans on my oil cooler and they do very little. As far as personal comfort I put exhaust wrapping on my thunderheaders and that helps alot. You might just wrap the cross over pipe if you can live with the look. If not maybe you can wrap your nads.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Dibubba said:
I'm planning on getting HD's "Fan Kit for Touring Models" (91550-00C), which is designed to blow air between the cylinders...

This is a mistake in my opinion. They look like crap. And it is tough to estimate their utility.

The oil cooler suggestion is a good one. Have a look at the HD super premium kit - PN 62895-03A.

Eliminating the cross over, as previously suggested, is also a good idea. If you can stand the look of a 2:1 go for it. Otherwise there are plenty of true dual systems that work.

regards,

wyo

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
someone told me an old texas expression this weekend when we talk about my apehangers, it hurts to be cool!!! My solution is just ride faster........

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
to chime in with wyo.....

wyodude said:
...Eliminating the cross over, as previously suggested, is also a good idea. If you can stand the look of a 2:1 go for it. Otherwise there are plenty of true dual systems that work.....
There are some 2:1 systems that have a false pipe if you want to clean up the looks. I have a false pipe on mine, and the D&D Fatcat offers one, too.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Welcome to the world of the TC engine.

Chances are if you take it to the dealer and complain about heat, they will say "that's normal", and it is for a stock TC88. In order to meet the EPA requirement, these bikes were made to run hot, and lean. To allow the least amount of fuel to be burned, the air fuel ratio is a lean as can be. To make sure all the fuel is used up in combustion, the heads are designed to flow slow and retain heat. To make sure that all the exhaust is burned up, the timing is retarted. The ending result is a very hot running bike.

Everyone has great suggestions. And as you hang around here long enough, you will no doubt be bitten by the modding bug (pipes, heads, cam, tuning and so forth). So take your time and do your research. Find out what your riding style is and build accordingly.

Here is my advice. Start from the least expensive and work forward. First pick up a set of those heat deflector things, Kuryakyn, Cool Thighs, and RJs Original No More Fried Thighs. I use the RJs because they are bendable and adjustable, but I'm sure the others work as well. They will help deflect the heat away from your sacks. If you are still not cool enough, then get a tuner for your bike to richen the fuel mixture and advance the timing some. This gets much more expensive. There are many tuner variations out there, the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner, the Power Commander, Twin Tech, Terry O2 Terminal Velocity, Race Fueler, TFI, DFO and so forth. Some like the Power Commander and the SERT can adjust fuel and timing. Others like the Race fueler, TFI, DFO only fuel, and the Terry is an O2 sensor self monitoring system with limitations. Here is where you MAY need to make some decisions about your modding future. By adding pipes and and a better air cleaner you WILL need to adjust fuel. If that is ALL you intend to do, and for a lot of folks it is enough, then maybe a TFI, DFO, Terry system and a dyno tune will work fine. If you plan on head work and a cam (this really helps the bike run cooler) and maybe a Big Bore kit, then you will probably need the expensive tuners like the SERT or PC.

A lot of folks plan way ahead and piece meal their build. They start first with an SERT, oil cooler, the pipes they want and and a better flowing intake. Then next winter comes head work and cams, and while the heads are off, a big bore package too. Then when they go to dyno tune the big build, they already have the SERT to tune it.

So take your time and think about where you want to go if you choose to modify. In the mean time, start inexpensive and pick up a set of the heat deflectors.

·
Banned
871 Posts
y2kflhr said:
kuryaykn makes a plastic thingy that goes under the seat
Huh? Plastic + heat = mess. :) Geez... when did they start putting PLASTIC crap on Harleys? Sign of the times, I suppose.... and a bad sign at that.

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
ToddM said:
Huh? Plastic + heat = mess. :) Geez... when did they start putting PLASTIC crap on Harleys? Sign of the times, I suppose.... and a bad sign at that.
That's why I chose the RJ Original No Fried Thighs http://www.rjsoriginals.com/index.html
They are made of bendable aluminium so you can form them how you want, and are covered to match the saddle. Plus he makes an extended left side to deflect the extra heat that comes there after installation of true duals.

Mark

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The Kuryakyn Heat Shileds come in clear and reflective smoke. I have the reflective smoke on my '05 Ultra (Black Pearl and Black Cherry Pearl 2-tone) and they 1) look clean, 2) draw very positive compliments, and, 3) work to move 'some' of the hot air away from my thighs. They install easily, look like they belong on the bike, and do not look 'placticy' - and, no, they don't melt.

FWIW

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your bike could be running lean, which significantly increases the exhaust temperature. get your bike jetted using a wide band o2 sensor and you will probibly be ok. If it is still to hot for you I would suggest putting some exhaust wrap around the pipe below the affected areas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Your bike could be running lean, which significantly increases the exhaust temperature. get your bike jetted using a wide band o2 sensor and you will probibly be ok. If it is still to hot for you I would suggest putting some exhaust wrap around the pipe below the affected areas.

·
Banned
871 Posts
SDLuthultz said:
The Kuryakyn Heat Shileds come in clear and reflective smoke. I have the reflective smoke on my '05 Ultra (Black Pearl and Black Cherry Pearl 2-tone) and they 1) look clean, 2) draw very positive compliments, and, 3) work to move 'some' of the hot air away from my thighs. They install easily, look like they belong on the bike, and do not look 'placticy' - and, no, they don't melt.

FWIW
Don't matter to me... I still don't like plastic on my bike (except for the lexan windshield and gauge lenses). :D I really don't care if others like the looks of it, either. ;) Whatever floats your boat....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've had the Kuryakyn heat shield on my RG about 7 months. Bought them right before I left N.C. riding to Sturgis and was glad to have them as it was around 105 or more from Sioux Falls to the Badlands. They DO look like they belong on the bike and a lot of people have asked me about 'em. I got the smoked ones and they blend with the bike so well you don't even notice they're "plastic crap". Much better looking IMO than those leather thingys. :flames:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts