V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out for 3 days and came home on Monday, Aug 3. I tried to avoid driving into the interior of the Hills (like Hill City, Needle Hwy., etc) due to heavy traffic. Stayed mainly on western edge around Newcastle WY and Devils Tower. Traffic still got heavy during the afternoon hours. Got up early to beat the traffic into Sturgis the Saturday before opening. Traffic was heavy from campers, trailers and bikes coming in. Only came across one accident. Looked like someone could not make a curve, EMT was attending to the rider.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
What I have thought is funny is people who never been there saying how busy or expensive it is. I wait longer to get a beer around here. Motels are expensive, but the rest isn't so bad.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya it's always going to be busy and expensive. Especially in and around Sturgis. I've been there about 6 times but usually the week before. I was wondering how much busier the hills are this year.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I've been there 4 times during the week of the Rally. I never found to to be that bad. Not as bad as people say. The last two times I did not go to Full Throttle. It can be a pain getting over there. Once you learn where to park and some short cuts. I really don't think it is that bad.

·
Registered
189 Posts
once you have been there a time or two. You find the best place to park or a faster way out of town. I rode up and back Sunday. Went to check the venders at BH harley. On the way out instead of putting up with the traffic heading back to the interstate. I turned right, wound up with an open road that lead back to the highway. Living in Rapid for 12 year had its advantage.

Tim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sturgis is a real nice area when you don't have a million bikers there. I go when everyone else leaves it is much nicer and the roads have less traffic which leads to a nice ride.
To each their own but I don't like big biker rallies it is way too crowded. JMO

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I stayed at Sheridan Lake(5 miles ne of Hill City). Came in Sun. afternoon the 1st. I put 600 miles on the scoot in 4 days. All was within the Black Hills. It was more crowded than I have ever seen. (My 13th trip). I would go out to ride at first light in the morning and had some excellent rides on Iron Mountain road and the Needles which are almost deserted until about 11 a.m. when the party crowd gets up. After that you had to wait til about 5 p.m. when they all started headin back north then could get another 50 miles or so of decent riding before dark. Just had to avoid the choke points at certain times and choose your direction of travel wisely and still have some great rides. I went into Sturgis Tues. morming and was out of town by 10:30 a.m. and it was already a zoo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I went..

The wife and I rode out, the ride out was good. We stayed at Glencoe, that place was awful. Thats about the best I can say for it. We had a great time around town, it was crowded as expected. The riding around the Black Hills is spectacular, I would recomend any one to go. We went 2 years ago (the 73rd) the week before. and honestly I dont think it was any more crowded the week of, this year.

·
Banned
247 Posts
There was a new kind of biker there ( I have not attended in years) .
At first I thought "what wimps to trailer in, whats the point?"
But considering all things - you can use the trailer for your home too, as room situation is as at a premium , so they get a pass.
Next, the couple that were in our camp ground trailered in, nice folks, good conversation.
Then they got ready to go dwn dwn (good luck) did i say crowded?
They went in, showered changed.....
THEN !-
OMG
When they came back out I felt embarrassed !
WTH..who had I been talking too? !
She was dressed like a cheap hooker, hi heels, leather top bra,etc, and the dude looked like he just rode in from the coast non stop.
Shock. gasp. jaw drop.
Well as days pased, We did all the usual rides......met a lot of people.
Yup - things have changed.
Its more a costume or masquerade party now.
lots of folks...lots and lots . showing up to be there.
Most hardly knew which side their kick stand was on....
Gone are the days when you could talk with most anyone about engine VE , piston speed, final drive(s)
How the best way to get a neck bearing out....yup gone.
Its a whole new plastic generation with loud speakers and chrome gadgets of every sort.

·
Registered
92 Posts
We (9 people - 5 bikes - no trailer) got to our hotel in Rapid City on Fri. the 7th. Yes a hotel - too old to camp. Hit BH H-D.
Sat. morning early - went to downtown Sturgis for most of the day & Full Throttle.
Sun. - Deadwood - Spearfish canyon
Mon - Badlands - Hot Springs
Tue - Devil's Tower - Sundance - Hill City
Wed - Mt Rushmore - Needles - wildlife loop - Iron Mountain rd
Thur - headed for home

ALOT of people were leaving Fri. & Sat. By Monday there were more tourists than bikers. We hit everything just as planned & had no issues. We have been there once before. We had a good time.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We went the second weekend.
Was busier than the last few years, felt about as busy as it was in 2000. That's the busiest year I've seen in a while.

I heard it was super busy first weekend, but wasn't there for that. As usual it slows down late in week.

Went to a few events, most notably, the hill climb on Friday was WAY busier than I've ever seen. That was good to see though, the Jackpine Gypsies work hard to put on a good show, always wished the crowds were bigger.

Overall, was clean this year. Nothing rowdy happened around me, and was very, very organized from traffic flow perspective.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts