V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the Dyna forum, but, it's probably better suited here...

OK, I've installed the SEII slip-ons and got the EFI download for my 06 Street Bob. I ordered the SE A/C (29440-99c) and will install it next week. This will complete my Stage 1 mods. I plan on ditching the football cover and running the [paper] filter exposed with just a custom small cap to cover the metal top of the element. Matter of fact, my wife just IM'd me that the cover arrived. (woohoo!)

Since I have no intentions of getting a SERT, PCIII or any other tweaking mechanisms for the EFI other than the Stage 1 download I just got, I'm wondering if you guys think the exposed element will allow too much air in, therefore, putting my bike close to its stock "too lean" condition again. (I'm aware that the download is still on the lean side.)

Or, will my goal of getting much better sound with a little better performance thrown in have been successfully reached with this setup?

I'm aware that the bike can run better with more tweaking/dyno/etc. I'm also aware of the water/washing issues with running an exposed element. We can leave these points out of the discussion.

Thanks!

Whiff

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So running without the football cover (or other full cover) makes that big of a difference? Enough to offset the download? Enough to make it leaner than stock?

Whiff

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
i dont think you can get leaner than stock and still have the pistons go up and down.
but yes, critically lean.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
I originally posted this in the Dyna forum, but, it's probably better suited here...

OK, I've installed the SEII slip-ons and got the EFI download for my 06 Street Bob. I ordered the SE A/C (29440-99c) and will install it next week. This will complete my Stage 1 mods. I plan on ditching the football cover and running the [paper] filter exposed with just a custom small cap to cover the metal top of the element. Matter of fact, my wife just IM'd me that the cover arrived. (woohoo!)

Since I have no intentions of getting a SERT, PCIII or any other tweaking mechanisms for the EFI other than the Stage 1 download I just got, I'm wondering if you guys think the exposed element will allow too much air in, therefore, putting my bike close to its stock "too lean" condition again. (I'm aware that the download is still on the lean side.)

Or, will my goal of getting much better sound with a little better performance thrown in have been successfully reached with this setup?

I'm aware that the bike can run better with more tweaking/dyno/etc. I'm also aware of the water/washing issues with running an exposed element. We can leave these points out of the discussion.

Thanks!

Whiff

You are doing yourself a dis-service by not adding a fueling computer. You'll be amazed at the incremental difference in smoothness and power that you will get when you add one on top of your stage I or StageII flash. They make the big difference right off idle and mid rpms. And, you'll run 20 degrees cooler oil temps to boot. With a PCIII, it is very easy to remove for trips back to the dealer, and the flash to the ECM will get you home should the PCIII fail somehow. Your air filter mod won't even be a factor until the engine is turning high rpms and becomes constrained by the normal filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts