V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may know from my earlier posts I am going to have my Softail Standard custom-painted.
Nothing too radical (a chequered flag motive over a black background) and the result chould give the bike a nice '50s look.
A friend of mine says that the bike will loose 20 to 30% of its value for this.
I think it shouldn't.
After all each Harley is unique and the paint is part of it.
I think that a bike is either stock or it ain't.
Once the bike has been worked on it is a question of how much it is worth for you and not of the actual market value of the bike.
Someone could be prepared to pay 20K for that bike whilst another guy would not buy it for 5K.

Do you think custom painting my Standard will significantly drop the value of the bike?

Thanks
Antonio

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just depends on what the next buyer thinks of it. He might not care or he might want you to lower the price about $1000 to $2000 for a paint job.
But it doesn't sound bad to me so it shouldnt make much difference in price.
Anyway your makeing it for you don't worry about resale value you might just keep it forever.

·
Registered
307 Posts
half the fun of owning is customizing to make it "yours". I say it's your bike, do whatever you want to it. Personally, I've never worried about resale value with anything I've owned, just enjoy it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
it won't lower the value but may reduce the number of people who would want to purchase it, but it will sell.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Dealers will regularly tell you that buyers want "stock" bikes. And are NOT willing to pay for your customizing. So, how much do you want that custom paint job? If you are doing it for you to enjoy, GREAT. If you want to get your money back from the paint job, DON'T count on it. You may not.

What does that mean. Well, if you're going to have the bike for 3 or 4 years, you'll have a long time to enjoy the customized paint. And YOU will get your money back in enjoyment. If you might sell the bike in a year or two, well, you may not get your money back. Your friend is mistaken, based upon your description of the paint job.

Would I do it? Yes, I did paint my FXR. I owned the Low Rider for 8 years. I have NOT painted my FLHTC. I'm likely to sell the Dresser in less than 4 years.

Make your own choice. However, remember, the more radical the paint job, the smaller the customer base. (Naked women on your bike may look wonderful but not everyone wants a naked woman painted on his/her bike!!!!) Doesn't sound like that will be a problem for you though.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Antonio, I agree with most of the previous comments. Before buying my new King a few weeks ago I did look at several 01-02 used Kings. A couple with custom paint I didn't bother to look at. One was wrong color (I wanted black), and another wanted extra $ for the paint which I wasn't interested in negotiating. However, I don't think the custom paint decreased the value. Additionally, if the paint had sounded precisely like something I may have wanted at the same or similar cost, I would have at least looked (I think I would also worry about the quality since I would not know who did the work etc).

That said, if I wanted custom paint i wouldn't hesitate based on resale. Life's too short.

good luck, greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts