V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How about some performance views for a late model (e.g. 1998) Evolution 1340cc motor in a TOURING bike?

Specifically, if you owned a stock late model FLT EVO dresser, what "recipie" would you choose for a performance upgrade, with emphasis on lots of torque, ride-ability, and reliability? Let's give a hypothetical budget of $2000 for parts and head work (if necessary).

I imagine there is a "sweet spot" (in terms of TQ/HP) that exists between not enough performance and too much performance for a bike designated for high-mileage touring duty. Just curious as to what your opinion is on this?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!:D

Unfortunately, upgrading to a TC88 bike right now is out of the question. Realistically, I think I've missed the boat as far as getting any decent chunk of $$$ for my '98 FLHTC. So, I've convinced myself that I'll ride it until Harley comes out with the next generation of Touring motor, be that a more powerful (from the factory) TC or a watercooled motor VROD style.

Being relatively young (32) and new to Harleys (got my first in 1999), I just wanted to ask some people who have experienced owning EVO dressers (those that have "been there, done that"), what your favorite EVO engine configuration was for your style of riding. Some questions that come to mind:

Would you advise against bumping compression to 9.5:1 via head work/gaskets? Why?

What was your favorite cam (if other than Andrews EV13)?

Anybody have experience with a stroker motor in a Touring bike? Bad idea? Would it vibrate more than with stock stroke?

What will bumping the motor to 85HP/92TQ (via a kit such as Head Quarters System 85 which provides 9.5:1 compression/.580", .500" cam/ignition/carb jet/gaskets/head work/manifold porting) do to the "manners" of the bike? Would you advise against trying to get these numbers out of a late model EVO meant for Touring? Why?

Thanks for your opinions:cool:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Nothing against the EVO, but in a touring bike there is no substitute for cubic inches
My riding partner had a stage4+ in his EVO and I could still take him with a stock TC. Last week he got his FLHRSEI and it was a revelation, now he understands.

Yeah you missed the boat trading bikes, but now the track is coming to you again. This year with all the 100 bikes there are a lot of good used bikes on the market and a lot of people are afraid of the 99 and early 00 TC's. Nothing wrong with them as they can be upgraded with all the new engine parts for a couple hundred bucks.

If it were me rather then dumping a bunch of money into a bike you will never recover look around for some rich dude that has to have the newest and latest toy, preferably for an older one that left the bike stock, if at all possible with an 02 because of the chassis improvements.

The trade in the dealers are allowing these guys for their bikes are falling like a rock, plenty of good hunting out there right now.

If you insist on the EVO I always liked Competition Cams, somewhere between the 3010 and 3040. The 3010 is a great cam for a bagger.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HIPPO said:
This year with all the 100 bikes there are a lot of good used bikes on the market and a lot of people are afraid of the 99 and early 00 TC's. Nothing wrong with them as they can be upgraded with all the new engine parts for a couple hundred bucks.

HIPPO - What engine parts on a 1999 or early 2000 Twin Cam would have to be upgraded to come up to the current 2002-2003 technology? Cam bearings? Anything else of significance?

What kind of labor would be involved?

Ya got me thinkin' TC now, uh oh:D

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Mostly cam bearings and lifters, O rings and gaskets, maybe tensioners, small stuff. For all purposes there is no labor as one would put cam into them anyway.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HIPPO said:
I always liked Competition Cams, somewhere between the 3010 and 3040. The 3010 is a great cam for a bagger.
HIPPO, if you don't mind one more question...

Do you prefer the Competition Cams V-Thunder 3010 over say the Andrews EV13, for a EVO motor with stock heads/compression? Why?

The V-Thunder cams seem to be advertised as "the quieter cam"? In your experience is there a noticeable difference in "noiseiness" between V-Thunder and others? I would prefer less engine noise if I had a choice.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
More of a sort of some guys like blondes, some guys like brunettes thing.
The EVO's never really had a noise issue like the TC's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
TC vs EVO

I will try to answer your question rather than get into to much of a TC vs. EVO debat. The TC is a great improved V-Twin motor, designed to build on with a lot of room for upgrading. The EVO in it's time was a good motor also, a lot can be done to them to improve performance, problem, they have a performance limit that is a lot lower than a TC. If you already have an EVO, like I have, happy with your bike, like I am, would like a little more pep out of it, than go for it. The EV23 and EV13 are perfect cams for baggers, they are low torque cams, the EV27 is a real good cam with a good torque curve, but it works better in baggers if the compression is incressed to 9.5-1. You can mill the stock heads to bump the compression. Your talking about a motor that has more guts and long term relability, not a all out comp. motor. Radical cams, higher compression will not be as streetable as a milder cam and compression set up in the long run, remember the EVO cases are not as strong. Do the cam, compression and throw in a single fire igniton, good mufflers, K/N filter, rejet your CV, switching to a Mukuni won't give you any more horsepower, just a crisper throttle, the CV is more of a progressive throttle, and you will be more than happy with it. I have ridden a TC88 dyna low rider, and a ultra bagger, I was not overwhelmed enough with them to go out and buy one, nice bikes, but for a little bit of work the EVO will run better than a stock TC88 by far. Don't campare a modified TC to a EVO, you can't. The TC's might beat me wide open throttle, but I have been beating them in shows over the last 4 years. Besides I don't ride like that anyway, just like to putt and wide open throttle through the gears every now and then just to feel the power.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Roadhog, I completly agree with what you said. This is what I did to my EVO, ran the pants off the TC88's and Stage 1 TC's. But alas, new bike fever hit and now I am fighting the urge to purchace the 1550 stage 2 high output configuration HD has put togather. My only concern is with the 257 cam and ride ability. I usually do the coast to coast trips and don't want to spend the nite in Blythe CA, anymore. Hippo, may some advice also. Right now no one seems to have much knowledge of the HO setup in a Dresser.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I think I answered you somehere else, at leat the question was similar.
It isn't going to work well. Not only do you have a CR issue, but the .570" lift is very risky with stock heads and serves absolutely no purpose as the stock heads achieve max flow at .500" lift. In other words the additional lift will not achieve anything even if it were to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bagger question

I have a 98 ultra w/EFI and I am simply looking for more torque and want everything else left stock. I cant' seem to leave the wife at home so I always ride 2-up. It has the stage 1 kit with SE touring mufflers. I have been looking at the EV23 but now am also considering the EV13 also, which one do you all like better? Will I have to do a re-map when the cam is changed? If so, would I be better off putting a Power Commander on? Are the stock injectors good enough? Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts