V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a sudden loss of air pressure from the rear tire (split valve stem) while traveling on the highway at about 80 MPH. The first thing I felt was a slight wobble which quickly developed into a faster wobble with a sense that I was about to be thrown to the ground either left or right. I was able to loosely hold the bars while I coasted to the shoulder and slowed, without using the brakes, as I didn't know yet which tire was the culprit. I was able to bring the bike to a safe stop on the shoulder. The main point of this post is to explain this all happened in a matter of seconds and not tightly fighting or holding the bars and not using the back brakes, when the wobble began, I think kept me from going down. Suffice it to say I was really fricking busy for a few moments! Just a PSA for my fellow riders.

Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
917 Posts
Damned lucky you didn't go down! I had a blow out on the rear once only going 40mph and that was freaky. Check out this poor guy...

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Damned lucky you didn't go down! I had a blow out on the rear once only going 40mph and that was freaky. Check out this poor guy...

OUCH!!

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Woo hoo! Ride em cowboy. Great you kept it upright. No easy feat. One of the real concerns i try not to think about.

i had that happen going 40-45mph and wasnt as lucky. I ended up sliding under bike sideways.
glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Woo hoo! Ride em cowboy. Great you kept it upright. No easy feat. One of the real concerns i try not to think about.

i had that happen going 40-45mph and wasnt as lucky. I ended up sliding under bike sideways.
glad it worked out for you.
OOf! Sorry to hear that. Any indication of why yours had a different outcome? Did you use brakes did the tire blow and hang up on the frame? etc.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
wow...been there...80 mph in the fast lane with full camp packup....rear tire...was life or death to get over to the side in 3 lane hyway traffic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, that can be a scary ride especially if it comes off the wheel. Had a bike seize on the highway and lock up the rear tire. That was a fun ride.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
OOf! Sorry to hear that. Any indication of why yours had a different outcome? Did you use brakes did the tire blow and hang up on the frame? etc.
Once home i saw brake pads were worn. I figure, and might be wrong,that at some point i had to put the bindrs on to stop, slow down, whatever and the needed pad was not there.

The slower I remember going, the more wobble occurred from lack of air in the tire. If i could have stopped at some point, i think i would have been ok?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Happened to me on a country road at 50. I heard a rear squeeking before, then the tire went. The belt guard came loose and wore a slice in the sidewall. Definitely pucker time. Kept it up, and got a tow.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Picked up 7 nails in my rear tire on the 60 fwy in SoCal after going underneath an overpass they were working on, maybe doing 70 mph at the time. The rear end started sliding around and it was sorta spooky until I pulled off onto the side of the freeway. Riding solo which was good because I think two up could have been really hairy; bike control was touch and go there for a bit. Scares me to think of a front tire going out like that, but hopefully the stiffer sidewalls will help in that situation? Don't want to find out and am very proactive about tire condition since then.

That's one of the reasons I get irate when someone rides my ass; it was all I could do to keep the bike upright. If the person behind me isn't paying attention they may not notice the guy in front of them crapping himself.....

·
Registered
2001 Road King 95” and 2007 Dyna Lowrider
22 Posts
My Road King’s brand new (650 mile)Dunlop rear tire blew at 60+ mph in remote eastern Washington a couple months back. It had a 1 inch slice, from something I probably picked up going past some road construction a few miles back. Luckily, it was a straight stretch of road and like Yee Hog, I backed off the throttle, resisted the urge to apply brakes and wobbled to a stop on the side of the road. If I had been going a lot faster, or leaning into a curve, the outcome could have been much different. We were able to seal it up with some goop and two plugs. It held for the next 50 miles until I got to Extreme Powersports in Okanogan, WA, where they quickly slapped on a Shinko SR777 and sent me on my way.

·
Premium Member
1947 FL 1972 XLCH 1989 FLST
50 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have a flat after sitting @ a light, gave it some gas to make a left turn everything felt real greasy. Probably happened while traveling, but did not go out till I stopped, I am absolutely sure it did not leak down because of the Michelin AirStop tubes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a sudden loss of air pressure from the rear tire (split valve stem) while traveling on the highway at about 80 MPH. The first thing I felt was a slight wobble which quickly developed into a faster wobble with a sense that I was about to be thrown to the ground either left or right. I was able to loosely hold the bars while I coasted to the shoulder and slowed, without using the brakes, as I didn't know yet which tire was the culprit. I was able to bring the bike to a safe stop on the shoulder. The main point of this post is to explain this all happened in a matter of seconds and not tightly fighting or holding the bars and not using the back brakes, when the wobble began, I think kept me from going down. Suffice it to say I was really fricking busy for a few moments! Just a PSA for my fellow riders.

View attachment 270947
I had a similar incident going 75 - 80 on interstate I-16 in S GA. when both front & rear tires went flat in seconds. I always check my tire air pressure every week or two. It's a pain to remove the valve stem caps so I put on two "brass extender caps". You can air the tires through the cap without removing them. At that high speed the centrifugal force caused the extended brass caps to hit the brake calipers. Both valve stems ripped off at about the same time, ripping them off at the threaded part of the steam . I was able to slow down like you without crashing. I DID NOT BRAKE. The tires never broke loose from the bead of the rims. I was able to ride it home for about 1.5 miles at a crawl. This happened about a year ago at 11:00 PM on a clear dry night. I was riding a 2006 Electra Glide Classic with new tubless Metzeler tires . I survived ONLY by the grace of God. My underwear was a total loss......... Do not put valve stem extenders on a Harley FLCHTCI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently picked up a utility knife blade on a nearly new rear tire on my 2016 Heritage (pulled out some in the image after airing up the tire to find the leak).

I was going 55-60 when my FOBO 2 let me know of a sudden loss of pressure.

I feel it gave me the extra second heads-up on what was about to happen...as the OP poster described...no brakes and luckily coasted to a stop.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Automotive design

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
144 Posts
DITTO, I was on my way up the summit hwy as I Hit 75-80 MPH my rear tire went Flat, she started to wobble, So I shifted my wait to the front wheel, turned off the hwy , and took the Frontage road back to a Motorcycle shop Slowly, ( 4pm).
This was on a 06 Heritage, luckily the rim did not get grounded from pavement.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Prior to my fun episode ...mine was a 16 penny nail that i had removed weeks before and plugged and worked fine the only problem that it bent over and rubbed a ditch in the side wall that i had not noticed and blew there...so if its a long one remove and inspect all the tire inside..or replace the tire....btw...this was years ago when i took more risk's

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
My pucker moment was on a friends Honda 650 about 5 years. She had broken her leg, and needed her bike moved, I was on I-95 and just peeled off onto the exit ramp when the front went flat. Just glad it wasn't my heavier HD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Heading to Milwaukee back in 88 for their first reunion run (85th) Riding my pan with 3 others guys. We pulled out to the left lane because one of the semis in front of us had a hot tire. Running about 80ish my front 21" went flat, semi on the right and a bike on my left, only though was flat, stay off the brakes. Let off the gas till the bike on the left was clear and made my move toward the median. On the Indiana turnpike the median is kinda dished, going in fast so kinda high sided it and slid to the bottom. Had just enough speed left that at the bottom instead of going up the other side the bike flipped and stopped. Got up, got the bike up then checked for injuries and serious damage, none luckily. Truck driver chased the front 2 bikes down and told them what happened so they came back. Jumped the kick starter and she fired right up so I motor hiked up the hill and back to a service plaza we just passed. One guy was a HOG member and his book showed a dealer not far away so they went after a tire and tube while me and the guy riding on the left got the tire off. So we got her fixed and the delay put us in Chicago at rush hour, that was almost as hairy as the blowout. Anyway finished the run and enjoyed the welcome in Milwaukee. Not used to seeing people along the road and on overpasses holding welcome signs and waving. Back then when a bunch of Harleys rolled into most towns people grabbed the kids and locked the doors. Times have changed, that's for sure.
Like the OP said, it happens in a second. You never know so ride loose and aware.

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Had the same happen to me on a test ride after putting Garmin TPMS caps on my rubber stems even though it said not to...and now I know why. Got metal T-stems now and all is well. Definitely a pucker moment and a long time sitting on the side of the road to think of how stupid I was.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I never had that happen,,, I think it would be real exciting in a negative sort 9f way...
I did have a primary drive belt break and lock up the primary drive, locking the rear tire,,, that was exciting,,, I was doing about 6200 rpm in 4th gear, or around 120mph..
I had to trailer it home,, went to chain drive up front afterwards...
Bikes do some things, that make you religious quickly.... it's all part of being a biker..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts