• 50-55

Votes: 1 7.1%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone here installed an Yost Power tube or Thunderslide kit and had a huge decrease in gas mileage? I dropped down to 30 m.p.g., is that normal?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get better gas mileage? Maybe take out the Yost and install a different jet?

thanks and ride safe.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
33 Posts
sadlerb
I know its been a while since u have posted your request , c if this will help you. I have installed a few Yost systems but I got out of turning wrenchs for a while , and now getting back into this ,I am in the process of installing a couple of Yost systems within the week. I know that the older systems ( racers) made good hp and fuel mileage for the money , proven on dyno.
Butt if you have any problems u can call yost and he will help u if u have problems. I know for a fact that he does take pride in his business as I have called and talked to him and emailed with great return . The bottom line is that if all companies responded to the consumer as he does we as consumers would be a hell of alot better off. I hope this helps u.
;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
sadlerb, how do you like the performance of the yost power tube? Is the performance gains worth the gas milage loss? J.T.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am in the process of contacting Yost and I will ask if that is the norm. and I will get back with what they tell me .Like I stated it has been a couple of years that I have been out of the industry of turning wrenchs but yes I did like the proformance that was acheived and a couple of MPG in my book is worth the HP and the cost was alao alot of the deciding factor if u can get cheap HP that works for alot of people.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ronr89 & fearnot69,

Thanks for the information. I like the perfomance of the Yost. I could tell the moment that I picked it up that I had more horsepower. For instance, I noticed that when I go through a intersection that I have to be careful because my back tire will now break loose on those big white strips painted on the road. It didn't do that at all before. So I think the loss in gas mileage is worth it. I just didn't expect it to be that much of a loss. But, it never pops or backfires and sounds great with my V&H Longshots.

Thanks again for the info and please let me know what you find out.

Ride Safe,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Has anyone here installed an Yost Power tube or Thunderslide
No, but I have taken a lot of them out. The Yost kit used to come with a blue and a red needle. The red needle is way to rich for any bike anywhere near stock.

The problem with these kits isn't so much the kit but the fact that the jetting requirements change a lot. If you already paid for them they can be tuned to where the fuel mileage is close to normal.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HIPPO,

Thanks. I guess I got to find out which needle they put into mine. I guess the only way to find out is to take it apart.

At my 1000 mile service the HD dealership also adjusted the carbs. I could tell that it ran better after that but still the gas mileage is low. I will wait until I go back to the harley dealership for some work and ask them to check and see which needle was installed.

Thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
33 Posts
sadlerb, I had contact today with Yost and it is like hippo said if they installed the red jet then in all in all it is to rich for the near stock application if you have problems find out what the dealer put in your scooter and the steps that they did and if you have problem email Yost at http://www.yostperformance.com or call them at 1-320 983-5410 and ask for tech support and ask for help . They have always in the past helped me before .,butt like I have said it has been a few years since I was in the industry and just getting back into there has been ALOT of major changes ..Good Luck and hope this helped

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ronr89,

Thanks a bunch for the info. I will call the dealer in Alabama and see if they can tell me which one they put in. If they can't remember I will get a friend to help me take the carb off so that I can find out.

I will let you all know which one I have.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
33 Posts
just glad to help , That is what we all are suppose to do HELP EACH OTHER ,,,

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't agree more!! I am about to go try and see which one they put in. Wish me luck.

Ride safe,
Bobby

·
Registered
33 Posts
good luck email me if u get in trouble ill walk u thru it it aint hard

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello,

I looked and then called the place that installed the yost. They installed the red jet. I then called the Yost company and talked to Bob Yost himself. He said with the exhaust system that I have that I should stick with the red jet. He said the V&H Longshots require more fuel to run correctly and the red jet is ok for that. He suggest that I check the mpg using highway miles and if I still want to squeeze a few more miles out to change the slow jet and try tweaking it a little.

I am going to leave well enough alone for now as the bike runs great. I will keep an eye out for any good ideas.

thanks again.

bobby

·
Registered
33 Posts
did u change the slow jet I believe it is suppose to change to a 28 or 48 (went brain dead) check on that it willl show u alot that is what I use to change to and had real good luck with them email me and ill give the shops # and ill look it and give u the jet size and ill walk u thru setting it up that should help u

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks. How do I find out what slow jet is in it? I am learning a lot about this stuff after the fact I guess. I should have known more before I got the stuff installed. That way I could have made sure about all of this. I probably won't be able to do any of this until at least next weekend. Work takes up so much time...

Thanks for the tips. You sure do know a lot about this stuff. Helps to get good advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will send u the number and a step by step on how to do this tommarrow it will only take u about an hour

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ronr89,

I was washing the bike today and noticed the exhaust looks dark grey on the inside but when I wipe my finger inside the pipes I get a almost black soot like substance on my finger. Is that the proper color or does it mean it is running too rich?

thanks,
Bobby

·
Registered
33 Posts
Probly a little rich , pull the plugs and see what color they r

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey,

I just pulled the plugs:

Front plug is pretty dark but the actual tip is still got some grey color to it. The back plug is completely black. What do you think?

thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts