V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was near the factory yesterday and decided to stop in to see what was gone on with all the new construction I saw going on a few weeks ago. While there I went through the plant as it has been awhile. The new construction is a new visitors center that should be complete this month, but looks like another month to me. They are also adding more on to the factory itself to increase production (can do 750 per day now).

The Dyna line was moved to Kansas City and all they make now are the Softails and touring bikes (lots of Roadkings on the production run).

Something I didn't know. The Softails are done like a regular assembly line where the workers man one station and the line brings the bike to their station. They then have about 2.5 minutes to complete their task. But the touring line has 25 stations I believe and the workers follow the bike from station to station and complete the bike as a three person team. Interesting.

The paint room was off limit (the 100 year colors are being worked on) and is very hush hush concerning the colors. Thought the tour guide would slip up and say something, but security is very high. Another thing different was no camera's on the premises anymore.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the interesting info.
I live near the KC plant, and took a tour last September. They are building Sportsters, Dyna's, and the V-rod there. While most companies are laying off workers, the KC plant is consistently hiring hundreds of new workers.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Harley stock is pretty level. Dipped a little in September (of course), I've seen worse.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The wife an I tried going on the tour last year, but the tour guides had the rest of day off.

We went through NYC on Sept. 9th on our way to Maine. Our plan was to go home via the same route that we had taken to get there, but obviously that changed. The NYC tunnels, bridges and so on were all closed. Not a problem! Our new route took us very close to York, Pa. What the heck! 50 or so miles off the interstate and we were there!

Got to York and went to the visitor's center. Went to the desk and asked about the tour only to find that the tour guides had all gone for the day to donate blood. It was VERY disappointing not to tour the factory. But, because of the current events taking place, I don't think anyone would have bitched too much about it.

One of my Navy buddies lives in Mechanicsburg, Pa. When I visit him, I'm sure I'll stop by the factory and take the tour then. Maybe I should go ahead and order a new bike and watch it being built! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts