V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is MoPower and I'm a 2-wheel addict. At 11 yrs old or so, I bought a motorscooter. I was doing up to 10 mi per day, and the habit was eating all of my paper route money. In my 20's, the 2-w monkey on my back grabbed me with both arms and squeezed hard until I caved in and bought a Big Bear Yamaha. I sold that bike to help pay for an education. I thought that was the end. Then, about 15 years ago, I began backsliding. I scored a '90 Softail. It's been through many changes--paint, Branch heads, pipes--all the usual stuff.

Along my path to ruin, I've experimented with Road Kings, Heritages, baggers, and even a home-built Softail, but have always gone back to The Ninety. It's still with me. I am the magnet, it is the steel.

I hope to learn here. I'll also pass along what I've learned whenever I can. I have a large background in commercial ECM development, engines, electronics, and software/firmware.

Thanks for listening.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the cyber world of chrome, fine paint and leather. The V-TwinForum.com IS the website for people of your magnetic ability.

Great people here: Gear heads, Paint heads, wrenches, Hot chicks and comics.

You have met or exceeded all of the qualifications to get a BANG out of this fine place.

Post up and ride that HD...........

POPS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
springer- said:
Ever mess around with a MegaSquirt?
Hi Springer.
I've never messed with the MegaSquirt, but I'm familiar with it's history. I think the original version was a fuel-only system. A more recent config will do ignition and IAC, but requires a daughter board. It's fairly cheap, which I like. However, I don't like the requirement for a daughter board. I also don't like filling a table (Map) with VE values. I prefer mapping the base IPW (inj. pulse width) directly. This is an interesting subject.

BTW, I read your post on SERT. You did a fine job.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
The daughter board is really just a processor upgrade, all surface mount technology and comes assembled and tested. The Version 3 board has a lot of mods built in. I am currently building one for use on a 4 cyl Ecotec w/supercharger for a boat. Then I would like to build one and use it on my shovel.

www.megasquirt.info

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
springer- said:
The daughter board is really just a processor upgrade, all surface mount technology and comes assembled and tested. The Version 3 board has a lot of mods built in. I am currently building one for use on a 4 cyl Ecotec w/supercharger for a boat. Then I would like to build one and use it on my shovel.

www.megasquirt.info
I looked over the Version 3 specs. The upgraded processor is an improvement, but 32K Flash and 2K RAM is pretty thin as far as ECMs go. I have this 96" Evo stroker that I plan to setup with EFI. I'll write the ECM/ECU code myself in C or C++. To get the fuel, ignition, IAC, diags, and com code on 32/2 of memory would be nearly impossible. The Ver 3 could probably be used to develop pieces of the code, but I don't think it could handle the entire control task plus the extras I want to implement.

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
YO! MO! Welcome to the VTF! I'm sure some of us could use your expertise. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted. Ride safe,

Carrie

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum!! Post up often and enjoy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts