V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Harleys don't leak oil !
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read every single post on this forum reguarding this topic but I'm not completely clear yet{please consider that I have cabin fever and of course alcohol brain fade from having way to much fun in the eighties,so they tell me.}So here goes;I have a 2000 roadking [carb] totally stock,14k miles.I will at some point get stage one done but,not now.I do want a little more harley sound out of it[it sounds like a snowmobile].So what I was thinking I'd do was drill out the small 3/16 hole thats on the rear baffle plate next to the main [bigger] hole on the back of each muffler.That way I don't even have to remove the mufflers.I thought I'd drill them out to a little less than 1\2.Now here's the question part;Do I have to re-jet?Should I re-jet?Will this hurt my engine?Will it hurt reliablity?Just a little bit of noise to get me through till I can get it done right later.Thanks.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
From experience, what you're doing is very minor, and will probably not affect any of that. But, if you are interested, here's what I learned by experience: pound it first, and make a mental note of how it pulls in low to high rpm's, and whether it coughs upon heavy acceleration or pops and crackles upon heavy deceleration. Then, drill your holes.

Pound it again. Note the differences in performance, if any. If it seems to be ok at lower rpms, but feels like it's "starving" more than before at high rpms, you are too lean, and need to fatten it up a bit. Aside from more normal muffler noise, the engine will also be more poppy and crackly when you heavily decelerate, as well.

The Kehnin jet kit for your 40mm cv carb is about 40 bucks, and comes with a decent selection of main jet sizes. I can't see how you woyuld have to monkey with your idle jet in this case.

Go one size higher on your main jet (from 190 to 195?) and try again. This will probably do it. BTW, if you get to the point where it is sluggish down low, and then really takes off when the motor is screaming, you have gone too far!

Getting to the jet holder is easily accomplished by removing the 4 screws underneath your carb that hold the float bowl on. you may need to drink one or two beers and take the air cleaner assembly off first, though (if you don't already have the SE intake kit installed).

I hope this helps...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts