V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have SE II slipons on my Fatboy & am considering replacing them with V&H Big Shot Longs + Quiet Baffles. I know that they will be louder than what I currently have but what I don't know is how much louder.

I'm concerned about the neighbors & the O/L. Typically I just start the bike up, let it idle for a minute or two & then proceed down the road keeping the RPM's below 3500. I know if I take off like a bat out of hell that I'll wake the entire neighborhood up, but as long as I take it easy am I gonna get complaints over the noise?

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I'm not so sure that with the quiet baffles that it will be any louder. I had them in a set of BSS and I actually changed them out because I didn't think they were loud enough. The tone was great - far better than the SEII slipons that I had previously. Now, I've changed out to Thundermonsters and the tone is great and the level is WOW. Almost too loud but I can live with it. :laugh:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Haaa. I have been asking the same thing here. I have a Fatboy with SE II's also, I THINK I am heading toward the Screamin 16 Gauge, from what I am hearing, good sound, I like the looks, but not as loud as the VH BSS that I have been debating also..

Good luck, let me know how you make out

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
nodoze said:
Currently I have SE II slipons on my Fatboy & am considering replacing them with V&H Big Shot Longs + Quiet Baffles. I know that they will be louder than what I currently have but what I don't know is how much louder.

I'm concerned about the neighbors & the O/L. Typically I just start the bike up, let it idle for a minute or two & then proceed down the road keeping the RPM's below 3500. I know if I take off like a bat out of hell that I'll wake the entire neighborhood up, but as long as I take it easy am I gonna get complaints over the noise?

What wakes up the neighbours is when you let the bike sit there and idle.........I have been told by my neighbours everytime.

I get on my ride start it and go............this does not hurt the motor provided you are not stressing the engine as soon as you take off.................

Many purests on here will say stick to the warm up and if your outside temp is really low then there is merit in this.................but it just really is not needed these days with modern engine manufacturering tolerances.

I had the quiet baffles in a set of SE 16g doubles and ran the Cycle Shack slip ons later and the slip ons were louder.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TLeath said:
I'm not so sure that with the quiet baffles that it will be any louder. I had them in a set of BSS and I actually changed them out because I didn't think they were loud enough. The tone was great - far better than the SEII slipons that I had previously. Now, I've changed out to Thundermonsters and the tone is great and the level is WOW. Almost too loud but I can live with it. :laugh:
That's what I was hoping for... A change in tone & not a drastic increase in volume.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I haven't heard the Big Shot Longs since what I have is the BSS. With the standard V&H baffles it was a good bit louder than my stock head pipes with SEII slipons. Also, I didn't care for the tone. Not deep enough and a little tinny. The quiet baffles, as best I can recall, were as quiet or quieter than the SEII slipons but with a much deeper tone. Liked them as far as tone but I wanted a little louder so I ended up with the Thundermonsters.

One note on the quiet baffles. They aren't hard to install. You almost have to screw them in because of the wrappings but it isn't hard to get them in and have them line up with the screw hole. Taking them out, that's a different matter. When you go to take them out the tape that held the wrapping on has melted and gone away. This makes the wrapping get all wadded up when you try to remove them. Not impossible, just not easy.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I have the V&H Big Shot Longs with Quiet baffles. They are quite loud and even more so when you give it some throttle but you can cruise at low RPM quietly enough to maybe not piss off your neighbors.
Granted I want from stock to this setup so the noise increase was substantial for me.

But I love it! Iv'e even thought about replacing the quiet baffles with the original ones. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts