V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to introduce myself. My name is Jeff. I have been interested in high performance whatever for 30 years.

First it was cars, motorcycles. I even got to ride a HD back in the 80s. Later it was cars, boats and computers. Like many of you, had to put them aside for a while. More important things in life you know. But I never really got over riding a motorcycle.

I am an Electrical Engineer, and computer automation has been and is my career. Many of my friends call me a geek. I guess I am. I have had an email address since the mid 80's. I had a text based Bulletin board simular to this one but it ran dial up on a 300 baud modem on a PC that had 2 floppy drives.

My hobbies still include cars. I currently have a C5 and a Camaro SS. I can read the computers in these cars as good as Mr. Goodwrench. I am an Amateur Radio operator, N4XGI. I have been the Lighthouse Keeper at St. Simons Island Georgia Lighthouse for the past 7 years.

I have been married for 20 years to a very understanding young lady.

Last October, a buddy of mine had a picture of Harley Davidson's new VRod. Well that motorcycle fever lying dormant all these years hit me hard. That is why I signed on to this board. I am looking forward to picking up my next motorcycle tomorrow. It is a brand new Vrod. I suspect I have a lot to learn. I hear the vrod even has a serial port!

When I told my wife that the vrod had arrived, she dug up some old pictures of a ride we made together back in 1981 to Broken Bow lake in Oklahoma. She wants to know if we can do those kind of things again. I guess she never really got over riding a motorcycle either.

Hope to see you all on down the road.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Jeff, welcome to the forum and thanks for your introduction and your story. I know we all have such busy lives and often it seems like you go through a period when you just don't have the time to do the fun things in life that you did in the past. I'm glad that you've reached a point where you can enjoy riding motorcycles again. My wife loves to "go and do" so motorcycles just gives us a chance to share what I like most of all(traveling on my bike) and for her, going places and doing things on the road. Of course she likes riding her bike alot too, it's just that she would be happy even if we were traveling and weren't riding our bikes. So it works out great for us. I hope you continue to share your stories in the future. We do have a special catagory for adventures and travels if you want to share some experiences some time.
By the way, it's sounds like you have a very interesting job.

Later

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
We're looking forward to your impressions of the V-Rod and your ride reviews. Several owners have already shared some of their experiences on the V-Rod Forum. And I believe Buellbomb said his wife enjoys the V-Rod ride.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Welcome Jeff, enjoy the new vrod. Do what you love and love what you do. And by the , yep, your a geek ;) Just kidding there Jeff. I think you'll find a lot of like minded people on this board and it sounds like with your knowledge that you'll be able to help some folks out in the future.

Dave

·
Registered
102 Posts
Geek... Definitely a geek... But I am too...

My first computer was a Trash-80 Model I followed by a Trash-80 Model III. I even had them networked! (If passing a cassette tape back and forth counts)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geek checking in........

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry I did not get back sooner, but I had to drive my vrod home from the dealer, then I had to ride it again, and then a friend came over and, you guessed it, we went riding again. 146 miles, no leaks, no squeaks, 40 mpg, lots of waves. It is going to be difficult to keep this thing under 50 mph for 500 miles. I will post more under Vrod forum.
In between rides, I set up my new Linksys wireless router. I am typing this note on my laptop, using my new wireless network (no cassette).

Geek checking out.........

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Envy

A C5 AND a Camaro SS? I hate you! :D

On another note, what made you choose the V-Rod over, say, a V-Max or a ZRX-1200?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
SamBlob

Those two cars are my children. My wife drives the C5 and I drive the SS. They dont seem to mind their new little brother, vrod.

As far as a vrod over another bike, I have wanted a bike since I sold my last bike, a Kawasaki Z-1, 20 years ago when I got married. I have wanted a new bike ever since. Over the past few years I have followed the development of the vrod, and have been impressed with the HD design. It is a little different, but it has proven technology. Quality does cost a little more up front, but in the long run, quality is always a bargin.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jeff,

You aren’t the geek, sned is! Of course, he’s probably a rich geek after inventing the Cassette LAN. :rolleyes: :D

Dave

·
Registered
236 Posts
Jeff, how does the wife like the 'back seat'?

After planning to get a Deuce since late 1999, I almost went for the VROD when I sat on it at the time I was picking up the Deuce. Have you see the Discovery Channel video on the development of the VROD. Very interesting!
Biking disease never goes away, just get stronger and stronger. An attack can reoccur at any time and when it does fighting it would be futile. I am an old man now, just turned 50 in November and saw my life flash before me. Wait no longer, go for it was my rationale. I'm glad I'm back in it up to my neck.

I try not to think of myself as "geek!" Enjoy working in the garage on Cars and motorcycles. Have wood working equipment stashed all over. Causes a problem when I get saw dust on the bikes! Enjoy electronics but haven't been too active in design as of late. Born and raised in California, 20 years of Air Force, few years as engineer of FM broadcast station in Texas, 10 Years as Computer Analyst, did the TRS-80 Model I, III, 1000, etc, thing, love photography, married a English woman, had four boys, and now stuck in Omaha, NE.

We'll be waiting to hear about you VROD experience while waiting for the snow outside to melt.

'73s N6JG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts