1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to change my stoplights bullb to amber or yellew to get
more noticeable.
Any adea how to do this??I tried J&P AMBER SEALED BEAM LIGHTS
but it has a different connectors and wont work on my 07.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I went to the C Bailey website(I'll look for the address later) and got some yellow covers. They stick on with 4 little "velcro on steroids"(their words) per light. At first I didn't like them because the stick out a little and I thought they might come off. But, they hold on very well and I like the idea of being able to take them off in the dark so I still have nice white light on the road.

As far as color goes, I'm not sure either yellow or amber will be more noticable. I've definately noticed people noticing me more. Kind of a second or longer look at me and they seem to give me more space as if I'm some sort of "official" or something. Keep 'em guessing, they'll be less likely to run you over.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
No idea what effect the colors have on visibility. But I do know the spot ligth swith the right bulbs will give you alot of light. My 01 with after market bulbs, with head light pointed down doign very little, the passing lamps 50w each shine better then my stock 07.

was playing with it tonight, noticed headlight is not doing alot, alnost all my light is some from spots. Need to adjust it.

Point neing make sure what you do gives you lts of visibility, and not just cool factor. Personally I don't think a color will make you any safer. JMO.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
From some of the looks I get from some other riders, they're definatly not cool. Out of the "norm" I guess.

But I do think they are more noticable. Whenever I see someone coming at me with yellow or amber passing lamps they stick out quite a lot. A bike with just white lights can look like a car that's a long way away to a lot of people.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's the brightess light bulb for the spot light(for 07 models) i think
stock bulb is 27watts and style 881.
any suggestion what i can replace it with???

thanks

·
ridin' bikes for years
222 Posts
I picked up amber lights through the Custom Chrome catalog.

In the 2 years I've had them, hardly anyone from a side street pulls out in front of me anymore. They are visible from a distance.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Aircraft landing lights will work and I think they come in amber too. Check with a NAPA store. Take the OEM spots in to match up.

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
03busa said:
I would like to change my stoplights bullb to amber or yellew to get
more noticeable.
Any adea how to do this??I tried J&P AMBER SEALED BEAM LIGHTS
but it has a different connectors and wont work on my 07.

thanks
I got the amber ones from J&P and yes, the connectors were wrong. However, I seem to recall I snipped them off and put on the right ones. I don't remember exactly what I did but it wasn't difficult and only took a few minutes.

I'm told that auxillary lights of a different color than the headlight really help make one stand out -- this is very good!

Cheers to whatever you decide.

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
I used the fluted amber sealed beams from J&P. I have them on two of my scoots and they are defiantly more daytime noticeable than the stock white lamps. They seem to improve night visibility, too.

To solve the connector issue, I just removed the plastic connector cover by depressing the metal tab and sliding the covers off. Then I placed the two naked spade connectors under the screws on the lamp and snugged them down. Job done. The plastic connector covers can be replaced if the need ever arises, but that will never happen as long as I own the scoots.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
ibilintuc said:
I used the fluted amber sealed beams from J&P. I have them on two of my scoots and they are defiantly more daytime noticeable than the stock white lamps. They seem to improve night visibility, too.

To solve the connector issue, I just removed the plastic connector cover by depressing the metal tab and sliding the covers off. Then I placed the two naked spade connectors under the screws on the lamp and snugged them down. Job done. The plastic connector covers can be replaced if the need ever arises, but that will never happen as long as I own the scoots.
I think that's the reason why there is a hole in the spade. At least it works out to seem like it. Good info.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Need Help Here

ibilintuc said:

Ok, the stock has two wires one ground and live one.The J&P has two on the back
which is the ground and the live???? Can you please explain abit more?? i really
want to use these J&P sealed beam.
I am not very good at this

thank you

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
Unlike LEDs, your J&P incandescent lamps don’t care which way electrons flow through them. Just attach one wire onto one of the terminals of the lamp and attach the other wire on the other terminal.

If you look closely at the lamp’s terminals you will see a little notch sticking up next to each screw. Then, looking at the wires, the connectors have a narrow area where the wires are crimped. I placed the narrow, crimped area between the terminal’s notch and screw and snugged up the screw. You will see that the notch prevents the connector from popping out from under the screw head.

Now, I had no clearance issues with these bare connectors touching the back of my passing lamp housings, but you probably want to do your own check of this.

--Bill

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok,ok got the part where doesnt matter where you connect wire thing.
The stock wires that are attach to the connector should i just cut or does
it comes out??

thank you for your help:thumbsup:

·
"What's this do?"
229 Posts
It is not necessary to cut the wires.

The wires - along with the spade connectors - slide out of the plastic cases. There is a little spring loaded tab on the connector that pops up into a hole in the plastic case and holds the case in place. (Try saying that six times fast.) Look closely and you will see it. If I remember correctly, the hole goes all of the way through the plastic. So, it is a matter of lightly depressing the tab through the hole and pulling the plastic case from the connector at the same time. Use something like a tiny screwdriver for glasses. Once you piddle about and get the first one figured out, you’ll be an expert!

As a note, the factory service manual has good reference info for a myriad of connectors used on your bike and fairly decent instructions on how to properly disassemble them.​

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great info, I need to adjust mine on my 07....the Service Manual doen't make it very clear on how to do this....can I get a how to from you all..
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
ibilintuc said:
It is not necessary to cut the wires.

The wires - along with the spade connectors - slide out of the plastic cases. There is a little spring loaded tab on the connector that pops up into a hole in the plastic case and holds the case in place. (Try saying that six times fast.) Look closely and you will see it. If I remember correctly, the hole goes all of the way through the plastic. So, it is a matter of lightly depressing the tab through the hole and pulling the plastic case from the connector at the same time. Use something like a tiny screwdriver for glasses. Once you piddle about and get the first one figured out, you’ll be an expert!

As a note, the factory service manual has good reference info for a myriad of connectors used on your bike and fairly decent instructions on how to properly disassemble them.​

There is a little spring loaded tab on the connector that pops up into a hole in the plastic case and holds the case in place.
There is a little spring loaded tab on the connector that pops up into a hole in the plastic case and holds the case in place.

No problem!
:roflback:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MR.BILL IS THE MAN!drunk! ~!Awesome! :boobies: {salute( {salute( {salute( {salute( {salute( {salute(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts