V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you have wives that ride with you and how they enjoy it. My wife likes to ride but just not as long and hard as me. I don't think it is a tiring or comfort factor as much as she wants to get somewhere and go and do and see. I don't think she actually enjoys the road riding as much the final destination. I guess I am lucky that she even likes to ride at all. How about your wives?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
My ex-wife did not enjoy riding with me. What a surprise that she's now my "ex". My girl Leece, however, does enjoy riding and rides her own. I know several couples who ride their own separate bikes together. Just yesterday, we were with 2 other couples out riding. It's a good way for couples to share the Country and life together. And on occasion, Leece rides on the back of my Dresser, but the times are getting less frequent. Leece says the cure for riding on the back seat boredom is riding your own!

IMHO, if partners don't share at least some major life interests together, they are likely to grow apart. Obviously, riding must be one of our major life interests or we wouldn't be on this Forum. I highly encourage you to have your partner ride along or learn to ride her/his own. Your life together will be better. You'll receive my bill for family therapy in the mail. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine used to ride a little....then as time went on, I found that she just liked to be seen on the back of a Harley....wanted to stay in town all the time, while I wanted to hit the road and put some miles behind us. That was just one small thing between us, and now we are divorcing after 23 years.....oh yeah, her new boyfriend was the other small thing.......should be final in about 3 weeks, soon to be ex-Mrs. GlennM, and this summer is going to be great. :cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not to brag...

After years of struggling through the typical Bullshit, (school, debt, home buying, career changes, starting our own business) my wife surprised me by suggesting we buy the Harley we always planned to get. She had saved up some cash and dropped 20% down on a 2k FLHTC.

She loves to ride, one of the reasons I got a dresser was so she would be more comfortable. We still haven't done a interstate run due to buying a new house last year. (And It's pretty damned hard to ride out of Texas.) But it's coming this year. Although I ride daily, she only gets to ride on the weekends. She prefers the slow country rides, but is game for any ride except for in the cold.

We were in Old Town Spring last summer. Instead of shopping the stores for candles and ****, she wanted to hang out on the street and watch bikes go by. She went to Gruene (another Antique, candle and potpouri selling tourist trap) with her mom and came back with a run down on how many and what kind of bikes were there.

We have talked about a second bike. She says she prefers riding with me but has admitted she wpuldn't mind a Road King either.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
So far, the furthest my wife has ridden with me was Houston
to San Antonio.

We were rippin down I10 doing about 85. She taps on my shoulder and says, "Hey can ya slow down just a bit and enjoy the countryside?"

I drop to 75. :rolleyes:

About 10 miles down the road... BOOM! Big ole bolt of lightning hits about 75 yards out directly to our left.

The little woman taps me on the shoulder.....:eek: "Hey can ya speed up some???"

Pick back up to 85 and all is well.

LOL!

·
Registered
71 Posts
MY wife aint too keen on bikes. We like to paddle kayaks together, and fish together and stuff like that, but I think she feels it is her mission in life to give me as much **** as possible. Hence, she says she won't ever ride with me (again). Funny, because she rode some witrh me last year on my rice rocket. She didn't really like it, only did it because I asked.

So I get a solo seat.

Think she'll ever leave me? Haha! Don't threaten me with a good time, I always say. End of this month we'll be celebrating 25 years of wedded bliss <cough>.

**shrug**

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought my wife a '99 fatboy for Christmas. We have been riding together on my Heritage for a year and she was ready to get off the back and on to her own. I would encourage anyone thinking about cutting there loved one loose to send them through a riding school first, it can be a bit different up front from what they see from the back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
ride with the wife

I bought a new sportster in Aug. 97 my wife of now 30 years said you are crazy if you think i am getting on that Harley. so now with 25000 miles later and a 99 fxd all set up for rideing double. my bike can only go to work and back with out her. but last month we bought her a 97, 883 Hugger and she can,t wait to get on it, she also let it be known that she has a seat on the DYNA behind me. so much for hewr staying home with the grand son. she loves to go any where but she does not like the interstate hyways.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My wonderful bride supports my habits, but won't ride with me. She was an Operating Room Nurse for years (where we met while I was doing a case) and saw too many bikers with substantial injuries roll through there in as many years. She isn't too keen on me being out there, but she gives me a big kiss and hug and tells me she loves me when I leave and get back (safely). So I guess I can live with that. I keep telling her its all about defensive driving. Theres no such thing as offensive scooter riding!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am really lucky, all I have to do is ask and she will go. We think in another year or two we might get her one of her own, but she is content hanging out on the back and enjoying the ride and time together. We are working on 15 years at the moment and have 3 children and one grandchild (from "my" 21 year old daughter), the two others are 11 and 8. We spend a lot of time with the children and their activites, but we make time for us and the bike is one of our outlets. My work schedule rotates between nights and days and her job has flex hours, this allows us day rides when the kids are in school, it's great!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. When I sold the last of a string of bikes, a '80 XLH, in '89, due to the usual reasons--house, kids, job, etc--she told me I'd regret it, and she was right.
We started again about a year ago and enjoy it more than ever. She has no desire for her own, but thouroughly enjoys riding on the back. Sometimes I think more than I.
A little corney, I know, but we've been married 34 years and the last year has been one of the best.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts