V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Soar like an Eagle
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about trying one of these import sport touring bikes out as an extra scooter. My wife will kill me when I bring one home but I will deal with that then.

Looking for any of you guys with actual experience riding one or both of these scooters. I would be buying new so looking at the '06 bikes and I know there are some upgrades on each of them for '06, particularly the Yami. From what I have read sounds like the Yami wins the horsepower wars but I am seeing comments that the Honda is more comfortable. I am definately looking for comfort if I get one of these rigs. So if anyone has any real experience riding one or both of these bikes would appreciate your thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
The FJR 1300 is an amazing bike, I have a good friend with one, they are smooth ,ridiculously powerful and as a sport touring bike ( with the sport emphasis) I'd give it the nod. I also have a friend with an ST (1100) is ths a good bike but not as sporty .My other choice would be the BMW R1200ST.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
206 Posts
I've ridden an FJR1300 for a week. Nice, fast sport-tourer, but less comfortable (less wind protection, higher footpegs) than an ST1300 or a BMW R1200RT. Not to slight this board but you might also want to post your question in the road warrior forum at www.advrider.com. Lots of non-Harley touring types there that know those bikes well.
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Road Glider said:
Been thinking about trying one of these import sport touring bikes out as an extra scooter. My wife will kill me when I bring one home but I will deal with that then.
Let me know what the method you used to keep your wife from killing you after bringing home the new ride. I would like to use your method for when I bring home that new BMW K1200GT.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Road Glider said:
Been thinking about trying one of these import sport touring bikes out as an extra scooter. My wife will kill me when I bring one home but I will deal with that then.

Looking for any of you guys with actual experience riding one or both of these scooters. I would be buying new so looking at the '06 bikes and I know there are some upgrades on each of them for '06, particularly the Yami. From what I have read sounds like the Yami wins the horsepower wars but I am seeing comments that the Honda is more comfortable. I am definately looking for comfort if I get one of these rigs. So if anyone has any real experience riding one or both of these bikes would appreciate your thoughts.
Both bikes are really nice. Question is, why do you need that much power? Why not a Road King or Electra Glide? In 3 years either of those bikes will be worth less than half of what they were new. The Harley will be 20% less at worst. A no brainer to me. Good luck on whatever you pick.

Tim
 

·
Soar like an Eagle
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I don't "need" any of it. Just wanting it. Hey I have (my RG) the best scoot on the road in terms of touring bike but guess I am just getting curious about something a little different.
 

·
Soar like an Eagle
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
timbo said:
Let me know what the method you used to keep your wife from killing you after bringing home the new ride. I would like to use your method for when I bring home that new BMW K1200GT.:D
Timbo no big seceret, it is called bribery. JEWELRY will get you off the hook any time my man.
 

·
Infrequent Poster
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Road Glider said:
Timbo no big seceret, it is called bribery. JEWELRY will get you off the hook any time my man.
And it is sort of a proportional thing too. BMW motorcycle, that is going to be some expensive jewelry!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
302 Posts
I rode the Honda ST1100 and didn't like it from a comfort perspective. The seat continually slides you into the rear of the tank. I couldn't sit on the thing for more then 30 minutes at a time without standing on the pegs to relieve the pressure on my butt. The footpegs bend your knees at an angle that bothers these 50 year old joints. The bike is quiet, accelerates great, handles well, and has a huge gas tank for long haul riding. Oil consumption is nil and Cycle World magazine a few years back voted it the best touring bike of that year. But riding that bike after riding HD is like riding a blender. Crosswinds because of all the plastic push the bike around alot. But because of the plastic you are well protected from the elements. No soul but a good bike in it's own right.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
206 Posts
mfn said:
I rode the Honda ST1100 and didn't like it from a comfort perspective. The seat continually slides you into the rear of the tank. I couldn't sit on the thing for more then 30 minutes at a time without standing on the pegs to relieve the pressure on my butt. The footpegs bend your knees at an angle that bothers these 50 year old joints.
I owned an ST1100 and had the opposite experience. It had one of the most comfortable bike seats I've sat on and I could ride hours without discomfort (I'm 43 with bad knees). Also loved the feeling of the V4. Just goes to show you really have to try a bike yourself before buying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
cs1 said:
Both bikes are really nice. Question is, why do you need that much power? Why not a Road King or Electra Glide? In 3 years either of those bikes will be worth less than half of what they were new. The Harley will be 20% less at worst. A no brainer to me. Good luck on whatever you pick.

Tim
Hmm. well, some folks are less concerned with resale than others, either because they dont plan on selling the bike for a long time, or becuase its worth it to have the extra performance.

harleys are nice bikes and all, but even after you add the cams, pipes, aircleaner, and 103" upgrade, you still have a chassis that is designed for loping down the road at sedate pace.

with a bike like the fjr1300 or the st1300, or the bmw, you not only start with 80+ft lbs of torque and 130+ hp (aprox, im basing that mostly on the FJR, and assuming ST is similar) right out of the box, but the frame, brakes, suspension, lean angle clearance, and all that are designed to accommodate speeds and handling that is more aggressive than what a RK will do properly.

if youre really curious why someone would want that much power, borrow one from a friend and take to to a twisty road. its really a different experience than just putting along.

to each their own, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I don't know about the Honda but I've ridden the FJR 13 a bit..took a spin on a friend's bike. It is a well thought out sport touring bike. I find it big and heavy compared to my Ducati ST2 but it is a lot more user friendly in the maintenance dept. It'll feel crisp and lively compared to your Harley but it's no hard edged sportbike...it goes pretty good though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
32 Posts
Fjr1300

I have an 05 FJR1300 that I have owned for 1 1/2 years. It is a fun bike to ride. It is light compared to my Ultra which makes it easier to handle. It has gobs of power which can be addictive, sometimes too much so. It is fun to rides in the twisties. I have had no problems riding it for 800 mile days with the stock seat still on it. I did install the Audiovox cruise and an Autocomm. I have my MP3 player, GPS and radar detector playing through my helmet headsets. I realy like the music on long days.

Cons:
Handle bars leaned me over more than I liked. I installed a set of risers to sit me up straighter. Now I am fine.
Windshield was too small to block wind and rain. I installed the Rifle touring windshield. By the way, the electric adjustable windshield is absolutely great( hear this Harley???).
Heat, yes there is some heat from the 05 which is suposed to be fixed on the 06. Never has been a problem for me but there is some heat, Feels good in cool weather by the way.
Two up, my wife likes riding on the Ultra. Nothing more to add. The FJR is by far more fun riding single. LOL

Pros.
It is fast and furious fun.
I can ride all day on it.
Gets a long range between fill ups with the 6.6 gallon gas tank and 45 mpg.
It is light and easy to handle.
I just like it!!!!!

I looked at the ST1300 and did not like the naked bike look on the ST. It looks too much like a Goldwing. I wanted more sport. There is nothing wrong with the ST it was just not what I wanted.

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
cs1 said:
Both bikes are really nice. Question is, why do you need that much power? Why not a Road King or Electra Glide? In 3 years either of those bikes will be worth less than half of what they were new. The Harley will be 20% less at worst. A no brainer to me. Good luck on whatever you pick.
Tim
Lurker here, had to register and chime in. You guys can hardly discuss any other motorcycle without at least one "Harley" person jumping in and raining on the parade. They seem to want everyone in the country to ride the same brand. There was a country sometime back, everyone drove the same brand car. The car? The "Lada" - The country? the "Soviet Union" :eek: It's all about "freedom of choice"... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
Davev said:
Lurker here, had to register and chime in. You guys can hardly discuss any other motorcycle without at least one "Harley" person jumping in and raining on the parade. They seem to want everyone in the country to ride the same brand. There was a country sometime back, everyone drove the same brand car. The car? The "Lada" - The country? the "Soviet Union" :eek: It's all about "freedom of choice"... :cool:
Who's raining on any parades? CS1 nicely posts his personal opinion and wishes the original poster well. The majority of the remaining posts are complimentary to both the Hondda and Yamaha and those that aren't are neutral. There's no bashing, trashing or confrontational BS at all IMHO.

You post up your very first post to get defensive about a perceived slight when no one else seems to see it. Sounds to me like you're a bit too thin-skinned and/or insecure in your own choice of mount. Either way, you need to relax, introduce yourself and recognize that some people are going to disaggree with you -- and that's okay. CS1 got his HD because resale is important to him just like you got your GW for your own reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
FXDRYDR said:
Who's raining on any parades? CS1 nicely posts his personal opinion and wishes the original poster well. The majority of the remaining posts are complimentary to both the Hondda and Yamaha and those that aren't are neutral. There's no bashing, trashing or confrontational BS at all IMHO.

You post up your very first post to get defensive about a perceived slight when no one else seems to see it. Sounds to me like you're a bit too thin-skinned and/or insecure in your own choice of mount. Either way, you need to relax, introduce yourself and recognize that some people are going to disaggree with you -- and that's okay. CS1 got his HD because resale is important to him just like you got your GW for your own reasons.
Sorry, man - 25 years of rice-bashing gets to ya - I wish I could get more Harley people to appreciate ALL motorcycles! :) PS this FJR 1300 is one hell of a sled!
 

·
Lighten up!
Joined
·
593 Posts
Davev,
:welcome: When you get a chance introduce yourself in the My story... board. I always enjoy seeing another metric rider join the forum!

By the way the 83 Wing is a very cool bike, a friend of mine had a Interstate and I always loved that bike! I used to have an 85 Limited that I miss very much.

STAY SAFE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,232 Posts
Davev said:
Sorry, man - 25 years of rice-bashing gets to ya - I wish I could get more Harley people to appreciate ALL motorcycles! :) PS this FJR 1300 is one hell of a sled!
Rode rice for years. Brit bikes too. Never really paid much attention to anyone's BS. Of course that was pre-internet. The FJR is a good bike. Ditto the Honda. Recently sat on a similar type BMW, the opposed twin. Sport tourers make a lot of sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I read Sonny Bargers book, an interesting quote:
"Harleys are junk, technology wise. If I was not a Hells Angel I would probably be riding an ST1100, a BMW or a Triumph."
And when asked about it:
"Of the new bikes, I just got a new 2000 model in March. I've got 22000 miles on it. It runs well, its been opened up, the brakes work. It's probably the best motor, transmission and brakes that Harley ever put out. But in reality, technology wise, it's still a million years behind everything else. Harleys new balancing system on their 88V motors is the kind of thing a Caterpillar tractor had a hundred years ago."
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top