V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for anyone who has installed a set of these on a Street glide or Electra glide. Info on what was needed to install these and feedback on how you like them ?

Actually from what I read I think im leaning more to the 12.5 " ones..

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I have 10's on mine. I am 6'2" and they are perfect IMO

Installation is kind of a pain in the ass. The internal wiring is the hardest part. If you have throttle by wire, it gets really interesting.

·
Sniper
1,659 Posts
Just installed an inner fairing and 12.5 Wild One Chuby bars. Wiring is a tedious chore but get the NAMZ extensions and TBW extension and it wasn't all that bad. Got all my stuff from Johnny at HD Parts. Don't forget to replace the stock soft bushints with Poly bushings either.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
go woth the 12s im glad i did perfect height can still use my stock mirros which i like and they re just under my windshield i dont know how theyd look sticking way above

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went with 11'' X 1 1/4 black santees and I didn't have to extend the wires. Just some rearangeing in the fairing. There is some good videos on YouTube for changing out the bars and wiring.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just did an install on the 10" classic bagger apes. Did not have to change anything, just had to reroute the clutch cable and brake line, and add a 1 piece riser clamp. Not sure what year your bike is, but if you have TBW you will need to re route those too. If you have non TBW, like me switch housing wires, idle and throttle cables are plenty long enough.

You will only need to buy a 1 piece riser clamp if your bike is pre 07 (came stock with them from 07 up). While your in there you may as well put in the polyurethane riser bushings.

If you have fairing mounted mirrors, they are useless with these bars, so be prepared to get handlebar mounted mirrors.

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
When I installed Yaffe's 10" bagger apes on my '07 SG I had to get a new brake line and clutch cable. Not sure how I could have stretched or rerouted the lines to fit and I did try. I did install the h-d braided lines when I bought the bike so maybe the were shorter than stock.

BTW, I put the stock bars back on just couldn't get used to them.
Will sell for $75 shipped to lower 48. Like new condition only on the bike for two weeks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Really so pre tbw doesn't need extenstions cables or wires?
I really researched this before I bought mine. There are many folks who kept stock cables, there are also a bunch that didn't want to re=route. I would not have bought them if I had to buy cables and lines. I have found that even the TBW bikes can run stock. but must re-route the electronics fro the TBW under the radio.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
I did the 12in Yaffe apes on my Street Glide and they are perfect height for me at 5'10". As others said, you can still use the fairing mirrors which is a plus. Switch wire extensions was a must in my application but i didn't need the TBW extension.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
i just bought all new cables anyway i went with the magnum cables they look really nice since i went with all chrome controls they look good i dont know why you would want to try and stretch the cables just do it properly while your at it also if u got abs the dealer will have to bleed the brakes

·
Registered
16 Posts
With my 11" bars I had just enough wire. I had to buy brake lines, clutch and throttle cables. I don't see anyway they would have reached. The bars where the cheapest part of the job. The santees come with a pull wire to pull the wires, a big help.

·
WFO
817 Posts
Depnds on your height are you long armed with a short torso etc. FBW not that bad i use a bicycle brake cable to fish the lines through. I find most people perfer the 12-14" apes over the 10 depnds on the person height,posture how much pullback you set the bars at. My personal bagger I 13" apes I am 6"2" with a long torso and rather short legs for my height.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I got 12" apes. But in black.

Im 5'9" and they are great for me.
Me on the bike so you can see where my arms are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 11 streetglide, I put on 12 santee bagger bars, I extended all the wires including tbw, I was able to use the stock brake line but had to get +6 clutch cable, I know they make extensions to make it easier

·
Registered
100 Posts
Look closely there, SGT_MUDFLAP, but I think you also have a 2' carpet ape eye-balling your bike... ;)
That I do. :D That's my youngest daughter.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I went with the 10" PY monkey bars and before they were installed I thought I was making a mistake. Once I installed them I'm glad I stuck with the 10" well except for the mirror issue. Stock mirrors are pretty much useless or a pain to see what's behind you. As for the height so far I think it's perfect although I think I need to pull them back a little bit. Fills like I'm reaching to far after a few hours and trying to make tight turns.
Have NOT updated profile picture yet with new bars.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts