V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the Vance & Hines Straight shots this morning. The wife and I took her for a spin. What can I say... now I own a Harley. The exhaust on my sportbike was louder than the stock Harley exhaust. All is well in the world now.:D
I am going to put the 'Viper' tip on, but my dealer had to special order them.

Wide Glide Exhaust

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just ordered strait shots.. Should be in this week. I'm going to put tork cones in them an take out those darn baffels.. And buy a set of ear plugs. :) I went with the billet end caps but I might change my mind the velocity was my second choice.. Like the caption says "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES"

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgive the new guy question but.... What are tork cones?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anti-reversion propertys. Other wise help the exhaust keep going the right way. You only need them if you are going to take out your baffels.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah thanks, won't be doing that. HOA will be upset enough as it is with just these pipes.:D They are loud enough with the baffles in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have some neibors with dogs that like to bark.. I figured if they are going to bark anyway I will at least give them a reason. But I knew I wouldn't be happy till the baffels were out , so i figured I would just do it now and have the carb rejetted to match. I did do alot of thinking about it and reading here but it was my final choice. If they are to loud I can always get some thunder boltz or exhaust blasters to put in in place of the baffels.. But I can't see them being to loud for me..

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Well I got to dissagree. I say YES there is such a thing as to dam loud! Stright pipes on motors running up to 6000 rpm's is having a bad influnce on the genral public. If we want the right to have after market exhaust on our rides we need be verry careful of how & when we rev up our stright pipes. Thing is stright pipes do nothing more than make noise. Adding cones only futher reduces power over all and is a band-aid to a non-back psi set up.

Now one other thing. I myself have a 60-70% hearing loss knows how its like not being able to hear. Your hearing is not a everlasting sence, if you abuse your ears. Having pipes that run up two 110 db, only take but a short ride to do damage, beleve it or not. Im sure most folks that has a hearing loss can would say & do have reasonable loud-ness with there pipes.

Praetorian said:
Too Loud?....NAH!!!!!

if it's too LOUD your too OLD!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not worried about the pipes being too loud as much as I am the damn nastygrams from the home owners assoc. because I leave so early in the morning.

Kags I agree, coming from the sportbike world, the public's image of all bikers depends on how each and every one of us acts around them.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Thing is stright pipes do nothing more than make noise*** Kags, what you ridin". I got straight pipes on an old iron head that makes quite a bit of power.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can't wait my strait shots with cones and "NO" baffels will be done monday. And if it gets up to 50 like they say look out people.. HA HA HA!!!
No more Vespa moped!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Who cares about the loss of power anyway.. If it goes the speed limit its fast enough.. I sure as heck didn't buy a Harley to go ride 200 mph.. I bought it for the looks, sound and the hole image that goes with them. To me part of that image is being noticed and the pipes contribute greatly to that. Yes nothing better than setting off every car alarm in a parking lot. Sure puts a smile on my face!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree with Matt76, if I wanted performance I would have bought a sport bike. I'm a boulevard cruiser type. That being said, a lot of guys do care and they spend big bucks on performance improvements. To each his own.

I also agree that we need to be respectful and courteous to our neighbors or else we may end up with noise laws like California has. We already have a bad enough reputation as it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got straight pipes (Samson True Dual) lots of power and torque. They are very loud and I know it. But I do try to keep it down in the neiborhood. In traffic however, everyone knows I'm there... "Loud pipes save lives"

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey Matt, my girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but I just love it when I go down the block and set of the car alarms. It's the little things in life.
So what did I do? I just switched to V&H Bigshots. You gotta hear these babies. With the baffles in, they rumble. I could actually feel the concrete floor in my shop vibrating. Can't wait to buzz some quiet streets. Like I said, It's the little things.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It's all about finding a happy medium. I punched a hole in my stock baffles and that opened them up a bit so they're louder than SEII slip-ons. I don't want to run straight pipes for a variety of reasons but I don't want to keep my stock pipes with the baffles punched forever either. I'd eventually like some pipes with a hint of muffle (to be legal) and then have groundpounder tips on them. That let's people know where I am good enough. It always boils down to common sense. If you don't want your neighbors complaining, don't come home at 4 a.m. revving your bike. You can only get away with that when you live in the sticks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts