V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done the Y pipe mod?? Am curious what the results were..Seems like it would make the system a 2/1 for the most part.
Thanks Happy

·
Registered
953 Posts
Talked to a few who have done dyno runs before and after, 3-4 tq gain they claim.
Think it would help reduce heat in the crossover :dunno:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
happyman said:
anyone done the Y pipe mod?? Am curious what the results were..Seems like it would make the system a 2/1 for the most part.
Thanks Happy
2 into 1 it's not by any stretch of the imagination.
It will help HP and TQ a little.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I did it, along with ceramic coating the header pipes and adding Rush slip-ons with off-set baffle sizes. Torque curve on dyno is smooth as can be, no dips, very much like a true 2-1. Ran 85 hp and 95 fpt with SE 203's, Big Boyz street port, 0 deck height and Thunder Max with auto-tune (96ci). Can't complain about stock FL exhaust performance with right mufflers.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
So you have some of the best slip-ons and made the mod. All good, but fact is that a good 2 into 1 would outperform the duals with improved torque and hp. The stock setup and true duals just have primary pipes that are too long for good hp production, plus the lack of a collector and scavenging power.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Ful sac kit is just that. I will have some dyno sheets on the true dual dip compared to the stock head pipe. Or I should say lack of the tq dip. Now that is with a fulsac system only. So a nice way to keep the power and not have that hot pipe under your leg, and keep the two pipe look

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yeah Puhb, I know all that. I ran RB Racing 2-1's a long time on my FXSTC, and they performed far better than any dual system I used before, but the guy asked if anyone had done the mod on the FL pipes and if it worked. That's what I told him, not what I thought wasTHE best exhaust. Some times you guys get a little too self righteous with your critisizm of others advise, ya know?

Happyman: I am assuming you are refering to the Y pipe mod where you trim back the part of the rear, right down tube where it enters the front tube? If not, forget everything I said.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Not self righteous. Just trying to keep the lid on reality. These threads sometimes are like a runaway truck and when one poster started to run the slippery slope of comparing the bagger pipes to a 2 into 1 I though a reality check was needed. IT IS NOT AND NEVER IS PERSONAL
BTW I like the bagger look too but got that with a FatCAt and their ghost pipe. Many ways to skin the cat.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mtnmotorrider said:
Yeah Puhb, I know all that. I ran RB Racing 2-1's a long time on my FXSTC, and they performed far better than any dual system I used before, but the guy asked if anyone had done the mod on the FL pipes and if it worked. That's what I told him, not what I thought wasTHE best exhaust. Some times you guys get a little too self righteous with your critisizm of others advise, ya know?

Happyman: I am assuming you are refering to the Y pipe mod where you trim back the part of the rear, right down tube where it enters the front tube? If not, forget everything I said.
Yupper ,that is what i was refering too. i guess i mis spoke a little but i seen it done a few tims in 25 years and i thought it was letting more exhaust out of one pipe that it did before the mod.

Happy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts