V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying an XR 1000 but have read that they have serious design flaws from the factory in the crankshaft / con-rod / flywheel area. Would appreciate any info. from experienced owners or mechanics.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
Sterling1 said:
I am looking at buying an XR 1000 but have read that they have serious design flaws from the factory in the crankshaft / con-rod / flywheel area. Would appreciate any info. from experienced owners or mechanics.
I ever seen a problem with the 1000XR.....the valves where a pain to adjust but no design flaws in the flywheels. Mater of fact the flywheels where the 1000 Sporty flywheels with the offset rods they use in the EVO Sportster today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crank pin oil hole ?

The article I saw stated that 1983 and later sportster crank's like the ones used on the XR1000 had 1 large oil hole on the crank pin instead of three small ones. Over time, this resulted in "spalling" around the oil hole, wearing away the hard surface and causing bearing and con-rod failure. Any experience with something like that ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
XR1000 oil holes

The article I read can be found at www.hi-speedmotorcycles.com and look at the menu on the left side; click on "competition network" then scroll down to the article about XR1000 engines. Given that the XR1000 uses the standard Sportster crankshaft you would think that other Sportsters made in 1983 or later would experience the same problem ??

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Big twins ran one oil hole all there lives....

Yep, there's nothing unusual about a single oil hole in the crankpin. Like Doc says, HD did it that way for more than 90 years. Indian and other bikes were also similar. It's only in recent years that the three hole design came up.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
The oil hole in the new style (78 and up I believe) is in between the bearings, the bearing does not run over the oil hole as they did in the old crank pins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts