V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed an XMRadio system on my Bagger a couple years ago and tried various places to mount the antenna. Finally ended up putting it atop the radio inside the fairing. I've experienced a lot of "signal fade" and "no signal" having it mounted there. And I'm not talking while riding under trees or between mountains...I'm talking about while riding in "Big Sky" country and across Arizona, not the State of Washington and/or thru Canada.

Has anybody here tried using a "home" antenna on their bike? Was do'n a few domestic chores this weekend and while moving the "home" antenna to dust under/over/around it I thought, "Wait" this puppy is maybe 5 times larger than the one I have on the bike. It picks up great even though I have another floor of the house above it with plumbing, electrical wires and such and it NEVER looses signal. I could sit atop the radio and not interfer with anything just like the one I have now. Thought I'd ask before I go to pulling the fairing tonight and re-routing my wiring.

Did a search and didn't find anything here or across the street.

o~\o

·
Registered
271 Posts
Try it and let us know how it works.
I have the same issues with my xm. Hills and trees and I lose the signal.
My antenna is not under the fairing either. It mounted on a bracket of
the rear view mirror.
I don't want to mount a satelite dish on my helmet but if it's not too big I'll try it. I love the XM tunes when it is getting good reception.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the XM radio antenna includes the wiring. Thus, theorectically, the longer the wiring the better potential reception. Keeping the wiring bunched up by having the antennna inside the fairing will likely reduce reception. I have one of the older units that you can shift in and out of the XM boom box.

Have you consider this: many Gold Wing riders mount the XM antenna near the far left (driver's left while seated) or right side of the trunks of their bikes. Many GW riders mount the unit on the left handle bar or in the left pocket of the fairing. Center mounting is less common. The antenna wiring is then spread out by running it for much of the length of the bike, hidden next to the frame of course. The antenna unit is very unintrusive. You could mount it next to the CB antenna and no one would no the difference.

Just a thought....

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I have had two different XM's on my Electra Glide. I now have the XM 2 go, it has a small and I do mean SMALL antenna with a magnetic base. I put it on top of the radio inside the fairing. I have no reception problems here in New Jersey, unless I am stopped under a bridge or something like that. I had the original XM mounted the same way, no prob's. I keep the antenna wire looped and under the fairing, but near the surface where the windscreen mates to the fairing. Perhaps this is improving my reception.
As to the home antenna, it won't work. The plug end is different. Besides, I don't know if you can remove the antenna wire from the boom box.
If you're loosing signals, are you sure you paid your bill this month?? :whistle:
Just kidding!!!!!! :265:

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geezer-Glide said:
...... I keep the antenna wire looped and under the fairing, but near the surface where the windscreen mates to the fairing..... As to the home antenna, it won't work. The plug end is different. Besides, I don't know if you can remove the antenna wire from the boom box.
If you're loosing signals, are you sure you paid your bill this month?? :whistle:
Just kidding!!!!!! :265:......
Might try to spread out the wiring under the fairing like you, PasadenaJim and a couple others suggested.

Geezer, as far as the plug ends being different...not here.....mine, Roady2, unit works with both antennas...plug IS the same. Maybe on the newer units the plug is different. I pull it off the bike and plug it into the home unit, same plug.

Well, guess I'm going to be pulling a fairing tonight to either hook up the 'home' antenna or make a large loop under the inside fairing.

:unsure: Hum-m-m-m, have my Dakota Digital AM/FM antenna mounted under there...wonder it that's going to complicate things.:dunno:

News @ 6:00, film @ 10:00

o~\o

·
Registered
2 Posts
home antenna

Yes and no.
It will have more drop outs.

The car antenna is an omnidirectional antenna, which can receive the XM signal from any angle.

The home antenna is directional and needs to be aimed, but has a higher gain. It can pick up the signal better since you have to aim the antenna.

I mounted my antenna under the fairing on a bracket (like the 2006) off the vertical support on the left side the reception is very good.
I have tried on top of the radio and in the tour pack and in the window pouch with little luck.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
antenna wire legth

To answer your question about spreading the wire out it will make no difference. Satellite reception antennas are not tuned by wire lenght like FM/CB/and other radios. All the tuning is done with in the antenna itself. One think to look for though is nicks and knicks in the wire as this will drastically reduce the signal reaching the tuner. hope this helps.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What channel on yor radio are using to pickup signal. I had same problem with mine until I found out on the older units there are three settings on the modulator. When I changed setting so I was using 88.1 on my radio problem solved. My antenna is mounted on top of my fairing under the windshield. Good luck

·
Registered
165 Posts
My XM antenna is mounted under the fairing on top of the radio, and I get as good a signal with it as I do with the factory mounted unit in my Chevrolet Pickup.

The loss of reception might be because of the FM station you are using. I have found that in large cities there is often a station that is broadcasting close to the FM station I use. Just change to a different frequency on the XM reciever and the radio and the problem is solved. Or you can get a direct connect wire from Radio Shack and go directly into the radio Aux. from the XM reciever.

To see if it is the FM modulation or if you are actually losing signal, check the signal bars on the XM reciever. Unless I am under a bridge or in the midst of tall buildings or mountains I always have 3 bars. I even get reception in my garage.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
46 Posts
XM antenna

I used to have an E-Glide with an XM roadie mounted in a J&M pouch bag. I installed it as per the instructions on top of the radio and had problems getting a good signal. Tried moving the antenna to different locations inside the fairing and was no better. Finally moved it outside the fairing on the flat spot just to the right of the windshield with no wires showing and it worked great, even in the mountains. Two weeks ago I got my new SE Ultra and was looking forward to the built in XM, but guess what? Cuts out and loses the signal constantly. I'll let the dealer jack with it for warranty purposes, but if they can't fix it, I 'll just put it in the same spot as my E-Glide. It's so small and black, it's not really noticeable.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Just finished the final touches on my sirius install in SW PA.

The antenna in this part of the world is useless unless its got a clear shot skyward (glass is ok being that it works on my truck dash).

I installed the antenna to a bracket I made and placed on top of the mirror stalk. This of course is behind the mirror wihich I cannot see when seated. Perfect, cuz I dont care who else can see it.

I thought about the right side of the fairing as mentioned above, but I figured that it would drive me nuts while I was staring at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts