V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hook up XM radio on a 2005 Roadglide?I've looked at Kuryaken and eglide setups and not sure how to proceed.I would like to have XM and Hawg Wired speakers and amps and have radio not on handle bars but if I have to I would put it there.There has to be a way to do it for less than $300 to $500.Thanks Bobby

·
16 FLTRUSE
20 Posts
XM Radio

I just recently installed an "XM Commander" purchased at Best Buy for $55.00 with a 50.00 rebate(normally 159.00) is made for cars, but I adapted to my 05 RG, the main unit is +/- 4" x 4" x 1-1/2" installed behind fairing and attached to the side of the radio bracket(drilled/threaded/screwed), antenna magnetically attaches to top of radio, I removed radio and internally wired the audio connections from the XM unit to the aux. plug on the radio so as it will come out of the back of the radio in the faring(no wires exposed on front of radio)and reinstalled, wired the power for the XM unit to the accessory switch and B+ connector with accompanying fuse that comes with the unit, the commander comes with an operating control head +/- 1-1/2" x 4" x 3/4" attached it with velcro to black housing over the steering head below the speedo/tach(fits perfect and looks like it came with the bike) wiring(one wire +/- 1/8" dia.) goes from the control head to the main unit on the side of the radio ran that from main unit thru the faring support bracket up into the speedo/tach housing and out thru the space between housing and handlebar mounting (on right side) with enough slack so that I can remove the control head and slip into the right glove box in faring in a rain storm and still steer/operate the bike safely and the door to the glove box closes almost completely due to the size of the wire after downpour take control head out and stick back (velcro) to original mounting location and slid excess wire back into/behind speedo/tack housing and returns to an inconspicuous installation. Operation of control head very easy(pushbutton)most of the time I listen to one station, volume operates thru normal hand control, also installed hidden radio antenna(removed whip) and hogtunes speakers, pay 6.99/mth for service due to second unit(family plan).
Larry

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi B-roadglide: I have a 05 RG and installed a Roady2 on the handle bars using a RAM mount fitting and a Roady2 bracket that you can purchase from Cycle Gadgets. Roady2 sells for $49.95 but you can find a good deals because they came out with a new model (case is different but same components) As you probably know, you can either use wireless connection to your HD radio or use wire connection into the aux input on the front of radio. I use the wired connection because reception is better. All features of HD radio work with Roady plugged into it. I have a set of Hogtunes for speakers. Costs: RAM mount about $30.00, Cycle gadgets bracket around $50.00, patch cord between Roady and HD radio less than 5 bucks. I use my set up between the bike and my truck. Easy to transfer between the two and the reception is great. Gotta watch out for stormy weather. Carry a heavy duty baggy and large rubber band with you to cover. I have over 23,000 miles on my 05RG and no problem with radio.

Hope this helps

Keep it on the road

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
LV76 said:
I just recently installed an "XM Commander" purchased at Best Buy for $55.00 with a 50.00 rebate(normally 159.00) is made for cars, but I adapted to my 05 RG, the main unit is +/- 4" x 4" x 1-1/2" installed behind fairing and attached to the side of the radio bracket(drilled/threaded/screwed), antenna magnetically attaches to top of radio, I removed radio and internally wired the audio connections from the XM unit to the aux. plug on the radio so as it will come out of the back of the radio in the faring(no wires exposed on front of radio)and reinstalled, wired the power for the XM unit to the accessory switch and B+ connector with accompanying fuse that comes with the unit, the commander comes with an operating control head +/- 1-1/2" x 4" x 3/4" attached it with velcro to black housing over the steering head below the speedo/tach(fits perfect and looks like it came with the bike) wiring(one wire +/- 1/8" dia.) goes from the control head to the main unit on the side of the radio ran that from main unit thru the faring support bracket up into the speedo/tach housing and out thru the space between housing and handlebar mounting (on right side) with enough slack so that I can remove the control head and slip into the right glove box in faring in a rain storm and still steer/operate the bike safely and the door to the glove box closes almost completely due to the size of the wire after downpour take control head out and stick back (velcro) to original mounting location and slid excess wire back into/behind speedo/tack housing and returns to an inconspicuous installation. Operation of control head very easy(pushbutton)most of the time I listen to one station, volume operates thru normal hand control, also installed hidden radio antenna(removed whip) and hogtunes speakers, pay 6.99/mth for service due to second unit(family plan).
Larry
Nice Job!! How about some pics?
I had mine mounted to the inner fairing, used the xm sky-fi mount but it kept breaking, just wouldn't hold up to the vibration I guess. Now have it in my glove box. I had a cradle that went t!ts-up on me so I disassembled it and fixed it to work but had to trash it to do it, all the electrics still work great and now it fits in my glove box easy! and I too connect thru the aux port, drilled a hole in the glove box and have my antenna in the fairing on my 01 Road Glide. I would do a better more sanitary install but the truth is I really don't use it much, mostly just for nascar since I started using my mp3 player

·
Registered
64 Posts
I made a bracket out of aluminum plate for my Road Glide. I use a Skyfi with the fm modulator. I don't have a rain cover, but haven't had any problems yet.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
barryw505 said:
I made a bracket out of aluminum plate for my Road Glide. I use a Skyfi with the fm modulator. I don't have a rain cover, but haven't had any problems yet.
Best rain cover I ever bought was a box of Glad Bowl covers from the super market. They're the ones with the elastic band to hold them to the bowl lip. $2.89 for a box of like 6, one size in there will fit the radio head just fine. And you can see thru it too!! :brows:

·
Registered
309 Posts
patch cord to go from Roady2 into HD radio can purchased at Best Buy. Make sure you get the one that is double-male. Can't say enough about having XM on the road. Next year when I 'Ride the Rim" for 3 months, XM will keep me singing.

Keep it on the road

·
Registered
64 Posts
B-roadglide said:
If you mount antenna inside of the fairing does it effect radio reception?
I stuck mine to the top of the factory radio inside the fairing (magnetic mount) and it works fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
B-roadglide said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hook up XM radio on a 2005 Roadglide?I've looked at Kuryaken and eglide setups and not sure how to proceed.I would like to have XM and Hawg Wired speakers and amps and have radio not on handle bars but if I have to I would put it there.There has to be a way to do it for less than $300 to $500.Thanks Bobby
For the cleanest, non-cluttered install I could find for my Roady2 I used this mount:
http://www.myradiostore.us/mounts-b.../hoon-hardware-roady-2-holder-motorcycle.html

Tom

·
Registered
64 Posts
Other than the fact that I have the SkiFi, which is a little bigger than the Roady, my installation is pretty uncluttered. The antenna and all the wiring is pretty much hidden, and I can just pop the radio out for my other vehicles or use in the house.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an XM roady II on my EG Classic and I just mounted it to the inner faring using the mount that came with the kit. The Roady plugs into the Cig. lighter plug and is an FM Modulator, so there is no need to do any hard wiring. If you don't like the FM Modulation, you can attach the roady directly to the bike radio with a cord in the AUX port. These cords are available at Radio Shack.

I have my antenna on top of the bike radio under the fairing. It works just as well there as the setup in my pickup with the antenna mounted on the top of the cab.

Here is a pic. of my mount. The XM reciever is very easy to remove from this mount for use in other vehicles or to prevent theft.

By the way, last time I checked the Roady II was 49.95 at Walmart for everything you need to just plug and play.

Regards,

Bill

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
After reading all the positive posts about the roady2 I bought one off ebay for $27 shipped to the door complete.

·
Still alive
546 Posts
I don't have xm but sirius. One thing I noticed which may be an asset for everyone riding with me, when I use the fm modulator, I can tune in a radio to 88.1 and can pick up signal for about 50ft from the unit. The other day, I shut off the car and my wife had her radio on about 50ft away and I could listen to the station she had on the sirius

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Update

I received my XM Roady2 for my Ultra today. The guy I bought if from told me how to get 1/2 off the service cost for the 1st year and it worked like a charm plus I got the XL channels that usually cost extra and activation for free.

It took me about an hour to get it all hooked up (Taking on and off the fairing parts was 80% of it). Mounted the receiver and plugged it in and I was in business. Sure beats the HD local stealer crap that they want $350 + without receiver.

·
Registered
29 Posts
davemhughes said:
The guy I bought if from told me how to get 1/2 off the service cost for the 1st year and it worked like a charm plus I got the XL channels that usually cost extra and activation for free.
HOW DOES THIS WORK

1 - 20 of 22 Posts