V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a 1998 XL1200 s that has a gen 1400km on it which i think is about 1000miles ( I'm in Australia). It is very sexy and gorgous and looks brand new... I hard a half hour test ride on it yesterday and came away a little worried about clunking when changing.. mostly down from 4th to 1st.. 5th to 4th was easy and just fell in quietly.. I am uusally very good at meshing gears in but nothing I tried got over the clunking.. My question is ..is this a quirk of the sportster or a lack of being run in issue, or, is it a fault?

Also the bike has obvious power there but is very stifled by the factory set up and I think quiet noisy around the top end. It also idles fast at 1200 rpm.. Again is this a quirk or can it be made to run quieter by changing the exhaust etc and making it breath better. What would or should the correct idle be.. at 1200 it sound like it is racing at idle.. It is a dealer and they just give me the usual stuff about its like new and needs running in etc.. They are nice guys but I get the impression they think I am a just a silly women who knows nothing.. mmm actually that might be true... BUT I owned a 85xlx and an 84 fxr in the past and cant' remember gears being so clunky or hard to mesh in when changing down or either engine (i know they were shovels) being overly noisey around the valve stuff... If you know anything about the XLS that can help me I would be grateful for anything you have to say... thanks Jane

·
Registered
64 Posts
The 1200S is a nice bike, I have a 2001. Love it.
Better cams and suspension than the other Sportsters.
1000 rpm is normal idle speed and an easy fix.

The transmission is pretty bullet proof, might be loose primary chain or like you said just not ridden enough.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At 1000 miles...
adjust the primary chain with complete fluid change
adjust the clutch
get an open breather
get a set of pipes
adjust the carb...raise the needle and add a shim with a new 45 main
ride the crap out of it and learn HD make a "LOT of NOISE", shifting, topend, etc etc.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sounds fine to me, just needs some TLC. It's a good bike overall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the feedback and advice...i bought the bike after 3 more rides and it just got better, and better and better....i love the power and size and just how new it feels...i'm not blasting away just yet cos of the very low kms but after a second oil and filter
change to flush any storage type stuff out, i will do the primary chain and belt drive adjustment.go to synthetic oil and really ride it... and i will do the exhaust,air and jet stuff....the none availiblity of ignition bits freaks me a bit so i'm just going to enjoy it until **** happens... :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have a 06 XL1200 Custom and really like it. I've owned a ton of bikes and always resisted pouring money into a new bike to customize it. Mine is going to remain stock.

The best advice I could give is to buy the H-D service manual. It costs $60 and is worth every penny.

Enjoy your new ride!

Flash

·
Registered
555 Posts
Halloo. I always get a giggle going when I see somebody ride an HD for the first time, especially a Sportster...especially and older Ironhead. They get off and say "are they SUPPOSED to make all that noise??". I just grin and reply..."...JA!!" Congrats on the ride.

C.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts