V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was warm yesterday, so I thought I would try my hand at cleaning my 05 XL 883 with some supplies I bought. Mind you this bike only has 200 miles on it, so it's really not too caked up yet. Mostly just dust from my garage. Anyway, I wheeled it out, gave a few sprits of S100 and then did a thorough rinse. After it was dry I did a careful inspection of the hard to reach spots. Looked pretty good.

Anyway, that seemed fairly successful, so I figured I might try out some of the pigsnot spray on wax I got at my local HD shop. I sprayed on lightly on the chrome and painted bits. Allowed some extra time for drying (as per instruction), and then commenced buffing with a very soft detailing cloth. Paint and chrome came out very swell. However, the aluminum parts that received a bit of over spray, engine side rocker tops etc, which I assume are aluminum with a clear coat, got pretty streaky (not a word) and ended up somewhat spotty. I have never dealt with cleared polished aluminum before, so I didn't want to go nuts to clean it and end up screwing it up.

Any advice from the group about the best way to get this back to a decent shine without messing up the condition of the surface. I used to use watered down windex when I would clean my triumph bonneville. It was really good for grime removal, but none of the aluminum was cleared, so I would use some mother's billet polish. I know better than to use that on the cleared stuff, but I figure there has to be a simple solvent that will clean without damage.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Banned
169 Posts
Hey Dan

That's certainly something I've never seen before. The clear coat over those aluminum parts is pretty much bullet proof and can be treated just like any other painted surface.

Because it's a new bike and you are just now getting familiar with it, I'm guessing the steaks are in the aluminum it self. If it makes you feel any better the rocker boxes on my 06 FXDB show all the polishing grit (streak) marks. At least they are all running the same direction, LoL. To say the polishing under the clear coat isn't show quality would be an understatement!

H-D has become expert at cutting corners in ways that most people can swallow. :cheers:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts