V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hard time w/this heat thing. I don't want to put pipes on because I am enjoying the quietiness and hearing the radio.
So, you guys that have XIED'S, still happy w/ product.

· Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2008 Ultra that installed the XIED's about 2 month's ago, along with the mid-frame wind deflecters. My wife is complaining less about the heat than she did prior to installation. I personally do not notice any more heat than I did from my 2004 Ultra.

· Registered
62 Posts
I install the xied 1 month ago took off the pc3 i have the Rush muffler with 2 inch baffle & Fullsac true dual and K&N 3909 a/c the bike run fine with 42mpg 2 up on the highway no poping on decel good throttle response and my oil temp stay around 210 degre on a hot day

· Iron Butt
1,130 Posts
I am having a hard time w/this heat thing. I don't want to put pipes on because I am enjoying the quietiness and hearing the radio.
So, you guys that have XIED'S, still happy w/ product.
Sorry,they didn't do the trick for me.My 08 Ultra is completely stock except xied's and the heat issue is still extremely bad in the summer.I haven't done any riding yet this September but the summer was horrible,just saving my cash for true duals and a pcommander...hope this helps.........Edit/maybe because my bike is stock they don't work as well,I'm not sure.I also ride heavy so not sure if i'm in closed or open loop most of the time...

· Registered
62 Posts
Sixgun... with the pc3 and custom map from Jamie the bike run fine but i only get 32 mpg i phone jamie and he send me a new map and get 38 mpg.I tried the xied just for fun and i like it so i took the pc3 off

· I'm Your Huckleberry
2,039 Posts
-- > DISCLAIMER: This is a TOTALLY subjective evaluation and is
by no means scientific, analytical, measured with any professional accurate instrumentation, or anything else.. just my casual observations from the saddle. <--

07 Ultra..blistering hot in traffic, and tolerable at highway speeds..
Stock engine, stock exhaust, stock bike
(except for XIED's now)
Took off the lowers right away and that helped
Took of the wind deflectors and that made a HUGE difference in "FELT" heat..more than the lowers coming off ever did.

Added XIED's this past weekend and have about 200 miles since install. Also changed oil to SE SYN3 at the same time.

Have noticed lower "FELT" temps.. noticeably smoother running, and overall a happier feeling bike. I'm sure that both XIED and synth. oil contribute to this..

It doesn't really feel like its more powerful, like a major power upgrade or anything like that, although with more fuel and all else being equal it logically follows that there would be a nominal increase in available HP.
I will add that it seems to have (feels like it anyway) a tad more 'grunt' in lower rpms, but again..subjective.
6th gear seems far less persnickety about rpms and allows me to stay in 6th at 2000 rpm with no lugging.
55 mph is easily doable in 6th now whereas before it was marginal at best with excessive rattle, shake, and all the other bad stuff that go along with lugging your bike.
All this can be easily attributed to a healthier AFR, which the XIED's claim to produce.

I do believe that they are functioning EXACTLY as I expected and I am very happy with this investment.

I have not checked mpg yet, as I wanted to have a couple tanks through it to compensate for a possible change in driving style after the mods.. You know we all tend to romp on it a bit anfer installing a new toy and I wanted to get the "new" worn off before I did hard core comparisons. My gut feel tells me though that it'll probably be very close to what it was before. I know it's using a bit more fuel (something like 7%) if my math works out right, but the smoother running, lower temps, and slightly easier HP should balance everything out nicely..

I believe that if you a planing major build, adding significant bolt-on HP goodies, or other big dollar mods, the XIED's will be rendered useless after you do the programmer (whatever model you choose). I might be wrong, but been there before too...

However, if you are like me.. a low budget, simple minded guy that just wants to piddle with making the bike slightly better than stock..XIED's are a great solution.

PS: I do not work for the guys at the XIED shop, and wouldn't even know them if they came up and hit me in the head... This is just a regular opinion from a regular guy..

-

· Premium Member
911 Posts
Hm, I'm just popping in here so I can get the responses. I put the Rush slip ons on my ride, and that is all I plan on doing. I'm pretty happy with my performance, but I want to make sure I don't do any harm to the bike by making it rum leaner!

I'm interested in getting the input that will be found in this thread!

I figure I have some time before the 09's Xieds come out! I should have enough info by then!

Thanks!

· Registered
561 Posts
Have an 08 FLHX, added the XIED's about 6 months ago. My bike only ever felt slightly hotter than my 02 FI Deuce; I expected this being that the engine is 8 cubes bigger, longer stroke, with slightly better cooling built in. An air cooled motor in Charleston, SC is going to be hot when your stopped, no way around it.

Things I noticed from adding the XIED's: Bike was MUCH more "lively" to throttle input, low speed rpm's were much smoother, engine didn't feel like it was working hard at light load at say, 2200 rpm's like before. Deeper exhaust note too.

Enough of a difference that I noticed immediatly every time I rode the bike for the next month! Kept thinking, dang, that is much better than before.

Oil temp dropped about 20 degrees but more importantly doesn't rise as quickly or get as high when I stop in traffic in dead summer heat.

Acceleration is plainly stronger in all rpm ranges.

I am a firm believer in checking the color of your plugs to determine richness. After adding these, they went from almost bleach white, to just off white, slightly tan around top of ceramic. Perfect to me. If an engine is running lean enough to be dangerous-- You'll know it, it will ping like hell, surge and be generally miserable to drive and be hotter than a sum'bitch- hotter than what you feel now. This has to be done properly, not after idling for 3 minutes. You have to shut the engine down at the load and rpm you are trying to determine, coast to a stop and pull the plug.

I wouldn't use these after changing heads, cams, cid, etc, etc. I also wouldn't use these with any other fuel tuner. Just use the fuel tuner to make the adjustments, or these alone. I may add a mild cam in the future, from my experience, I would still leave these on with nothing else. At that point, I would spend the money on the dyno to make sure I'm doing no harm.

I've done an intake and did the fullsac re-core, and these have worked perfectly for that. I still wanted to hear my stereo also, the fullsac 2" are perfect, just enough deep sound to satisfy when the radio is off, quiet enough when it's on.

And, no I am not a paid endorser. I just play one on TV ;)

· Registered
29 Posts
I have a stock RK, and have noticed what others have already mentioned. Felt cooler, exhaust note sounded deeper (a friend noticed this and asked if I changed something, so I know it isn't just me), better throttle response, more low end grunt, went from 46mpg to 40mpg.

I would say with modest mods like an a/c and slipons these would work fine but if I were doing heavier mods would go with a fuel management tuner of some kind, probably SERT.

why will the xied not work on modified engines?
(answering this for people that might have this question, claydbal is just trolling again...:beatdh::spank:)
From what I understand, the stock setup only has a limited ability to adjust the AFR, heavy mods are beyond the stock setup's ability to cope. Also the XIEDs only work on the bottom end of the throttle where the o2 sensors are used, the EFI ignores them for the rest of the range. The stock mapping during WOT is fine for lightly modded engines, but I wouldn't want to run that lean on a heavily modded engine that needs a big AFR adjustment. Also if I was spending a ton of money on upgrades (heavily modded engine), I would want to get every ounce of performace that I could out of them, and in my opinion you can't do that with XIEDs, in my opinion that is best done with an after market fuel management tuner.

· I'm Your Huckleberry
2,039 Posts
To clarify one of my points...

Clay, I have read several of your posts and understand your logic. I have a fairly extensive amount of auto tech experience (computer diagnostician and tune tech for ~10 years starting in the late 80's) and the points you have raised in the past (that I have read) are factually based and valid in many cases.
It is not my intent to start an argument on which is right, more right, technically precise, or the inverse of same... just to answer a basic question in a basic fashion.

Do not read this as an affront to you or an attack on your position..just responding to your post and quietly assuming that it may have been as a result of my muddy answer from above.. If you meant other than me..my bad.. apologies up front..

Now then....

I said that the XIED would be rendered useless in a heavily modified engine...
What I SHOULD have said (and mostly what I meant) is that if you are going to perform heavy mods, high-end tuners, etc... then you will have the ability to modify your AFR and everything else from your laptop through your after-market programmer.
In this case, and in my opinion, the XIED's become superfluous because you are going to dyno tune, watch the AFR, fuel curves, hp/tq curves, temps, etc, etc, ad-nauseum..and the pro that you have interpreting these results will tune according to need..If you have XIED's installed the results he sees on his monitor will be actually skewed and MAY result in a less than perfect tune...

So...Because the XIED is essentially a resistor mounted inline to fool the stock ECM into adding fuel, then, as I see it, there is no need to have it if you have laid down the hard cash to add fuel at the push of such a button.

So adding even more caution tape to an answer with unique potential..

IF.... IF.... IF.... you are looking for an answer that is low budget, easy install, truly effective, and reasonably benign to your bike..and you are not going to do much more than a few simple upgrades XIED's qualify. They DO work, they ARE inexpensive, and they ARE easy to use.

IF... IF... IF... you are looking for hard core upgrades, extracting every last ounce of power, and interested in spending MORE money for the ultimate in performance, XIED's may be something that you don't really need.

Neither is necessarily wrong or right.. It all boils down really to what level of cash, time, and effort you want to invest.

Peace...

Cujo

-

· Registered
21 Posts
Xied

We have these on our 06 Bob and 07 FDX --works for us
the unit on the Bob is specific to the year---on installation along with V&H 2-1 exhaust the "popping" was constant, over the last 600 miles or so it has almost disappeared, only shows up on rapid decilleration from high speed, I think they need miles to set themselves up and function as advertised
Supertrapp 2-1 on the 07 NO popping both bikes run smoother--no surging anymore--we do not worry about mileage, just the fun factor

· Premium Member
11,924 Posts
MR CUJO, thanks for an intelligent argument. i asked the question to gather thoughts (and provoke same).

ok, stock, you are at around 20% throttle to cruise at 70 mph in closed loop. this is where the ied should shine and where it is advertised to work. now try to accelerate, when you roll the throttle the required additional 10-20 % to make the speedo move in 6th gear, you drop out of closed loop and render the ied inoperative till you level out and resume closed loop. correct?

allow me to throw something in the mix. we will use a typical 103 inch 07 dyna, 2-1, big sucker and woods 6 cams.

you are now at around 5% throttle at 70 mph cruise, closed loop. since ied works with afr and not fuel volume, we should have no trouble maintaining a good afr in closed loop! now accelerate, since you have a well matched motor build, you really dont roll the throttle more than 2-3% to make the speedo move. so, it is easier to stay in closed loop with the modified motor! as long as you stay in closed loop, you are safe to operate at 13.8, correct?

SO, why wouldnt ied work with modified motor? (to a certain limit, be realistic here.)

· Registered
29 Posts
Get real claydbal, on all of these posts regaurding IEDs you just come in here get everyone pissed off or confused. 100s of people on this forum use them and like them, just because you are too thick to sort it out doesn't mean that we need to hear your 2 cents everytime this comes up. (It would help if people used the search function to avoid redundant discussions, but I don't mind answering peoples questions unlike some, but I'm not a prick.)

claydbal's comparison as usual is a joke, the parts alone for your "comparison" are 2k not counting labor, dyno time, or fuel management. How can you compare a 3k-4k upgrade to a $12 upgrade (IEDs are only $12 if you make them yourself).

Would the IEDs technically work on your build? I can't see a reason why they wouldn't. But if I was doing those kinds of mods I would be using a proper fuel management system to control the whole range of throttle not just the bottom 20%.

Clay, get off the "If your not doing what I am doing, your an idiot" train. Not everyone wants/needs to spend 4k on engine upgrades, do what you want, let others do what they want, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If someone was doing something that was going to wreck their ride, speak up and help them out, give them some good advice. However, if someone is doing something acceptable, but just different than you, give them your advice and let it go, we don't all need to be chastised by the "great and all knowing" claydbal.

· Registered
85 Posts
This is my experience and it differs from what a lot of folks are sayin so take it for what it's worth:

I installed the original IED's (14.2 AFR) on my stg 1 RG (SE a/c with download and V&H Ovals) just to richen it up slightly. I didn't notice much difference in heat, which was never a real problem for me anyway but I thought the bike was a bit more responsive off idle. Bike ran well and plug colour was good so I was pretty happy with it.

I switched over to the X's when they came out as I figured that if a little more fuel was good than a little more would be even better. I immediately noticed a different exhaust note (harsher, more raspy if I can explain it that way) that I really didn't like. I rode the bike for a while and it just didn't 'feel right'. I know not a real technical description but I finally switched back to the originals and am quite happy with this setup.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.