V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any members have purchased maps from www.hdmaps.com. Also looking for feedback on the results. Did they perform well? Has anyone downloaded one of the maps and then had the bike dyno tuned? What was the difference in HP/TQ between baseline and final run. I am considering purchasing one of the maps but am looking for background info and opinions first. I have an 03FLHTCI with 95", 203 cams, high compression forged pistons, SERT and T-header. My break-in dyno hit 92HP and 102TQ. However, with 4k miles on the build, I find I am running rich in the 2500-3000rpm range with steady throttle/light load. The dealer did not give me a copy of the map so I have nothing to start with to adjust it. None of the SERT maps are close enough for me to try. However, hdmaps has one that is real close. It would be nice to have a map to play with instead of being stuck with what I have. Any feedback is greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I installed a SE204 into my 95", flat top pistons, SE Performance heads and 16 gauge exhausts with SERT and WEGO II. Since a close map was not available, I bought a map from hdmaps.com which was somewhat similar to my pkg. It was a good map to start with and money well spent. However, the AFR was still off at certain RPM's (my build didn't match exactly). I did adjust the mixture using the SERT. Without an AFR measure with an 02 censor on your bike and gauge( or other program) or a dyno run it's difficult to know if the map is on target or not.

Cliff

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
I'm using one of their maps right now and I've had pretty good luck with them. I did have it Dyno'd just to see where the A/F was and it was pretty much right on. The dealership didn't want to do a thing to it, and I didn't really want them to.

Bike runs very well, no popping, no sputtering, etc. It did have a slight hesitation problem with some minor pinging when rolling on the throttle too fast, but I emailed Matt over at HDMaps and he replied quickly with a minor tweak that straightened it right out.

The way I looked at it was that Dyno/tuning time around me is $70.00 per hour. The couple of tunes I've gotten in the past usually took about 3 hours, or $210.00. If the map from HDMaps could get me close, it would pay for itself by reducing Dyno time. Fortunately, it was good enough that I didn't need any additional tuning.

I don't have a comparison of "before and after" because I used the map for a new motor I had installed. I can say though, that with the HDMaps map installed that the motor put out almost exactly what the manufacturer advertised with a very nice torque curve.

I paid $50.00 for mine, but I think they recently raised their prices a little. It was definitely worth it to me.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well here is my take on this. I have some maps that I offer free. They are tuned maps and I tell the customer that they are infact maps that have been done on the dyno. With all the members here and the EFI section you should be able to get a map that is in fact very close to what you need free. I myself could never charge anyone for a map that was not made for "their" bike. AS along with the other dyno guys here know what I know. Each map is like a finger print, yes they all look alike but they are not the same. Paying for a "close" map then still have to have it tweaked?? But that is just my take. So I will put this out there. I am going to upload my entire map data base to the site. Maps are free take what you need use it.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I have a question before you suscibe and pay money how do you know they have the map your looking for?

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
mori55 said:
I have a question before you suscibe and pay money how do you know they have the map your looking for?
There's a link on the site to see a list of maps.

HDWRENCH, very generous offer....outstanding!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cliff said:
I installed a SE204 into my 95", flat top pistons, SE Performance heads and 16 gauge exhausts with SERT and WEGO II. Since a close map was not available, I bought a map from hdmaps.com which was somewhat similar to my pkg. It was a good map to start with and money well spent. However, the AFR was still off at certain RPM's (my build didn't match exactly). I did adjust the mixture using the SERT. Without an AFR measure with an 02 censor on your bike and gauge( or other program) or a dyno run it's difficult to know if the map is on target or not.

Cliff
I have a 95-inch with SE 16gauge and have been looking to put in a SE-204. I've been told the nominal 10:1 of the SE heads is too much for a SE-204. Do you use compression releases?

A little more to the point of the thread, which hdmaps.com map did you use as a baseline?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
DARKNIGHT ,

I have heard that about dealers not giving the map to the customer. You paid for it so you are entitled to a copy. You may have to bring a floppy or disc depending which they have. I would get back with dealer and request a copy of your map that YOU paid for.

·
Who? Me?
187 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
I am going to upload my entire map data base to the site. Maps are free take what you need use it.
Another reason why I bought all my parts from HDWRENCH. HE IS THE MAN! :chopper:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses. Gotta love this forum. I had heard that a lot of the dealers do not give out the maps, but I will be heading down there to get my hands on one. HDWrench, you are the man! I will definitely be looking out for your maps. I'm sure I speak for a lot of members when I say your act of kindness is more than what most would expect from this type of forum. That's why I will continue to pay the annual subscription!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
HDWrench is the man alright. From now on he is Super HDWrench in my book. Thank you HDWrench for sharing your wisdom.

Thorns

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
i was just wondering if it is possible to mail the ecm and sert to some one who has a build and have them down load the map into the ecm.
Much easier to just have the map emailed to you and find a laptop to install it.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
i was just wondering if it is possible to mail the ecm and sert to some one who has a build and have them down load the map into the ecm. i know you stated that each tune is unique but is this possible. its probley the only reason why i havent started the final mods on my bike yet.
SE: Maybe I'm missing something here, but if someone's got a map to offer you and you've got the SERT and access to a computer, why not take 10 minutes and upload the map yourself?

:unsure:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Ok I want all to know the reason I am offering the maps for free is that these are in fact maps that are tuned maps not a canned map. But I would not be able to sleep at night charging for a mp that was no tuned for the bike on the dyno. Ih ave been sending the maps I have now for several weeks to customers that have been buying the 98 kits and 95 Kits. I have been told that the maps have been working great and that the bike runs great without any trouble. Does that mean that someone else may load the map and have it run perfect?? No it does not, there are dozens of variables that could cause a problem. If there are others out there that have a good map and would like to send it to me along with there info ( sert or PC) great I will get them up on the site.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Hey wrench, Nice gesture, will sure help alot who can't even find a close map for break-in after their build. Are those babies up yet?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Why would you buy a map from "Maps R Us" that is not tuned to your actual build? It might get you pretty close and it might not. That's like saying all builds are alike even with identical parts, If that were true than all dynos with the same parts would be identical. I haven't seen that yet. There will still be some differences just from the human error aspect either in the build or in the tune. Hell, if you've spent the money on a SERT then borrow, beg or steal a map from a V-twin member or HDWRENCH and use it for your break-in or use it to get you down the road to the tuner. Rather than being close or 90% there, have it properly tuned and get the power out of it you paid for. I used the Branch Heads map on the Power Commander site to get me through the break in period using Dewey's heads Then after 800 miles (once everything was really broken in) I had a map built specifically for my bike, my build. If the bike is an open loop system using a SERT or PCIII then it needs to be on a dyno to get the correct map built from scratch. Since it doesn't have the ability to self adjust like a closed loop system.

Just my 2 cents... -2$en#e-

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
rpbrock said:
Why would you buy a map from "Maps R Us" that is not tuned to your actual build?
Because good tuners are few and far between.

A lot of times the maps that are available from places like HDMaps, even though they are not "custom" to your bike, are better than what you wind up with after paying for numerous hours of tuning time by an incompetent tuner.

Lots of us want the best from our builds, but we have to work within the limited scope of our own knowledge and the knowledge of those that are readily and financially available to us. Sometimes "Maps R Us" is the best alternative.

My -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
im sorry i must of worded it incorrectly. for those members who do not have access to a computer at home or the proper applications to run the sert(windows xp or 2000)
SE: Don't think you worded it incorrectly, and no apology necessary. You may be a little mistaken as to what's required to run the SERT:
Minimum Computer Requirements

Tuning Mode requires Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. It is recommended that the operating system have current Windows updates installed.

Minimum system hardware requirements:

· Pentium-class PC at 400 MHz or above

· Display Resolution 800 x 600 or above, 1024 x 768 recommended

· One available serial RS-232 Communication port

Memory:

· Win 98/SE/ME - 64 MB

· Win 2000 - 128M

· Win XP – 128M

· Hard Drive Space Required: 15 MB

Note the requirement for a RS-232 serial port. USB serial port converters may also be used for Windows 98 SE and later operating systems.
i have the sert but have not messed with it due to the fact no one around me knows how to use it. even if hdwrench puts his custom maps on the fourm you still cannot open the application with out the sert program. even if i have access to the maps i would still feel better to have some one with experience walk me through the process.
There is the SERT User's Manual plus the Help Files for both Tuning Mode and Recording. I feel confident with a little research/reading you could easily upload a map to your ECM. With the SERT's included software, interface, and cables it is a simple process to follow once you've hooked up to the Data Link and turned on the ignition and run/stop switch.

There's plenty of members here to help with any assistance you may need, and you'll have the satisfaction of doing this yourself!

Good luck!

Just my -2$en#e-........well, maybe more......;)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
SGPATTER,

Tried to respond privately, but your space is full. let me know if you still want to see my response

Cliff

1 - 20 of 26 Posts