V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking into the purchase of a sandblasting kit. Came across this one at Home Depot for $13.00. Just a gun and pickup tube, pretty simple.

http://huskytools.com/husky/Category95784/Category95785/Product3P.html

I want to remove the paint from a second set of tins. Would a small gun like this work or would I better off doing something else. My other option is to go with a chemical stripper.

What are the pros-and-cons of sandblasting over stripping with chemicals? Is one better or fast than the other?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
sandblaster

I have owned and used this type of blaster and they work reasonably well depending on how big a job you plan to do, first of all like all sandblasters they only work as good as you compressor can supply air volume and pressure. I use a small pressurized blaster for most auto or bike work, these work very well and you wont break the bank to purchase one. As for chemical strippers I have used them and in my experience (25 years +) have never been too fond of them.I have seen them creep out of a seam or crevis and ruin a completed job long after it has been done. As for motorcycle tins I prefer to strip them starting with 80 grit on a DA sander and working my way down from there.I use the blaster to get around fittings and mounting tabs etc. Just remember, your final paint job will only be as good as the products and techniques you use before you actually apply the paint.One other thing to remember with sand blasting is can stretch and warp sheet metal, this is usually not an issue with motorcycle tanks or fenders when used sparingly(edges ,seams etc.).

Beauty is just a light switch away TR

·
Registered
529 Posts
Blasting in the open is a very messy affair. You do not want to do this anywhere you don't want sand to get into. I have a blasting cabinet that is big-enough to do tins in. If you do much blasting getting one of these is the way to go.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I bought the 20 lb set up from harbor freight. Works great. on sale at the time, and 20% off coupon on top of that, got it for $36.
Couldn't pass it up. I have stripped 3 old 1920's era desk fans with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts