V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will a Fatboy front wheel fit on a Night Train? Are there differences in the front end that would prevent the fit?

Been thinking of putting a larger front wheel on my 01 Night Train and thought the Fatboy would be the way to go.

Easy or not?

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
it'll fit as long as it's in the same year line. Will probably have to change spacers and fender.

·
Registered
322 Posts
it will,,,but itt;ll( that is it will) change yer rake/trail.. to cause it to handle quicker and loose stability at higher speeds(check it out in tech and ask around as I aint a engineer so its my opinion) and then be ready for the increased wind sail effect.cb

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
BUMP this thread up again.........

................. rather than start a new one, essentially the same question.

Wanting to fit a 2007 Fatboy Front wheel, 17" x 3.5", on a 2004 Softail Standard ------>

1. The 2007 Fatboy is a 1" axle I believe, anyone can confirm?

2. Does anyone know of the number of the bearing that can be used in this wheel but has a 3/4" axle center?

3. IF anyone has done this, tips on spacers, fenders, fitting problems, tire advice, etc, much appreciated.

Thanks, John

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
It is a 1" axle it will fit, you will need a new fender or you can go fenderless and just install a brace as far as spacers go. order a spacer kit and play around with it untill you have it centered, (im not sure of the hub width on the fatboy) bearings-you can go to any indy or hd dealer and pick up the bearings as you will probably need someone to remove and re-press the bearings into the wheel. If you know how to do it just order from ebay i think 12 dollars for a set. oh and by the way you will a new internal spacer if you are changing the axle size of the wheel. Just make sure the axle size you are using is the same one that came from your stock set up or you will need to change the fork sliders.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
It is a 1" axle it will fit, you will need a new fender or you can go fenderless and just install a brace as far as spacers go. order a spacer kit and play around with it untill you have it centered, (im not sure of the hub width on the fatboy) bearings-you can go to any indy or hd dealer and pick up the bearings as you will probably need someone to remove and re-press the bearings into the wheel. If you know how to do it just order from ebay i think 12 dollars for a set. oh and by the way you will a new internal spacer if you are changing the axle size of the wheel. Just make sure the axle size you are using is the same one that came from your stock set up or you will need to change the fork sliders.

OK, so far we have established that the 2007 wheel has 1" bearings, my 2004 has 3/4" bearings, therefore new bearings will be needed, now to be able to buy these bearings, eg from eBay or dealer, I need to know the size or part number, has anyone done this and can supply the bearing number?

Are all Harley-Davidson front wheel bearings the same Outside Diameter (O.D.) ?? IF so, a simple matter, they will be the same as the bearing for my 2004 wheel, only need the right internal spacer in the hub then if that one does not do the job?

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
If it is a sealed bearing, then yes they are the same outside diameter. or if you want to make sure them measure it. just do a search for harley wheel bearings

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
If it is a sealed bearing, then yes they are the same outside diameter. or if you want to make sure them measure it. just do a search for harley wheel bearings
YES................. BUT ............... I am trying to make sure BEFORE buying the wheel on eBay ............ unable to measure them .................. hence, the V-twin forum .............. thanks :)

Just to explain a bit, I do have a DEUCE rear wheel, 17" x 4.5" on the way as I have broken spokes back there, hence, my thinking to change the front wheel to a similar style also.

No rush to get er done, I can either go with the Fatboy 16" x 3" (2000-2006) or 17" x 3.5" (2007+) just trying to get the facts straight first and maybe find someone that has done this project, no hits yet, but hoping :)

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
YES................. BUT ............... I am trying to make sure BEFORE buying the wheel on eBay ............ unable to measure them .................. hence, the V-twin forum .............. thanks :)

Just to explain a bit, I do have a DEUCE rear wheel, 17" x 4.5" on the way as I have broken spokes back there, hence, my thinking to change the front wheel to a similar style also.

No rush to get er done, I can either go with the Fatboy 16" x 3" (2000-2006) or 17" x 3.5" (2007+) just trying to get the facts straight first and maybe find someone that has done this project, no hits yet, but hoping :)
I will look just to make sure and I will get you some part numbers, but if memory serves me correctly the 2000-2007 softail (duece) included has a 3/4 bearing in the rear and a 1" in the front when I get the Info I will pm you and hopefully provide you with some links

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Don't worry about the DEUCE

Guys here is a link to the bearings, Im still researching the axle sizes for the deuce and will post it as soon as im sure. The link contains an email for the shop so maybe you can ask him and he will know for sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-4-...8143172QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I have the rear wheel switch over under control here, it is easy, both are 3/4" axle / bearings --------->

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/softail-family-general-discussion/137411-deuce-wheel-2004-fxst.html

All I am really asking is something simple, what wheel bearing would you use to convert from 1" to 3/4" ? NOTE: this is as the thread title ----> FRONT WHEEL

As in a Fatboy 2007 wheel that uses a standard 1" axle to be run on my bike but with a 3/4" axle, nobody done that swap? Nobody with a fat tire on their Softail?

Thanks, John :)

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
ok then, it is the link I supplied above those are the bearings you need the seller has them in both sizes

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Could this work?

How about this - buy a FATBOY 1" axle, turn down both ends as required to make it fit to 3/4"?

I mean just where it has to fit into the saddles, if you know what I mean.......

Does anyone think that would work? I could do that to the axle first, then once it is in place, it would be easier to work out the spacers required, how to line up the brake caliper, etc?

Any takers, opinions, criticisms, nay sayers, supporters, help me out here............

Sure could use the H-D Part number for the 1" Axle, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
It would probably be easier to replace the bearings. If you leave the center of the axle at 1" how will you be able to slide it through the swing arm? What 3/4" parts are you having trouble finding? Maybe I can help locate them for you.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
NO swingarm on the front

It would probably be easier to replace the bearings. If you leave the center of the axle at 1" how will you be able to slide it through the swing arm? What 3/4" parts are you having trouble finding? Maybe I can help locate them for you.
I told you already, I got the REAR wheel sorted out - I am putting the DEUCE wheel back there ------------- this is the FRONT wheel

Front has no swingarm, only bolt it up with the saddles, now what do you really think about it? :)

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
:oops::duh?: Sorry I didnt read that part LOL. I suppose it could work. but why not just switch the bearings and spacer ill send you the bearings and a internal spacer if you need one Ive got some lying around in the garage. They are yours for the price of shipping.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
I am tempted but................

:oops::duh?: Sorry I didnt read that part LOL. I suppose it could work. but why not just switch the bearings and spacer ill send you the bearings and a internal spacer if you need one Ive got some lying around in the garage. They are yours for the price of shipping.
.............................please explain this to me, any spacer that would help me out would have to be a CUSTOM spacer, as in no H-D part number available, for this reason, stay with me

......... it would have to have the O. D. of the 1" axle spacer (to fit inside the 2007 Fatboy wheel) and the I. D. of the 3/4" spacer which would not fit the requirement of any stock H-D part number, right?

.............. so how can you provide this part ........ when you can't even read my posts? Just kidding :whistle:

............ I mean, why would they produce such a part? They just want you to stick with stock?

................ So if you can give me the size of the spacer you are willing to send, I certainly will consider it.................

.............. so to answer your WHY NOT question, it would be easier for me to machine a 1" Fatboy axle, install it with the H-D spacer kit, and work out the rest from there

....... plus the satisfaction of being the first to work that option out ???

................... No rush, I am not even in Saudi right now, and when I return, it will take me time to fix up the REAR wheel so I can even ride, and then it will be summer soon, and it will be so .. F .. N .. HOT so that is not even an option, hopefully it will be in for the 98" engine upgrade........:clap:

............... this is great being able to bounce these ideas with you, sorry, too many red wines tonight, hope it makes sense, with time warp and all........ :)

---------------- haven't even got around to asking about tire options yet, that is interesting, given that everyone says not to run a radial on the front while running a belted on the rear.........

............ stayed tuned for that question............ thank christ for spell check !!!!!!!!!!!!! :redrolf:

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
OK inside the hub you would be able to fit a 1" 25mm or a 3/4 inch spacer the ODs dont have to be the same, the hole inside the hub is usually slightly smaller than the OD of the bearing itself. You align the spacer after you put the first bearing in and then press the other one on top of it. In older timken style wheels they wiggle around a minute bit but the new sealed bearing wheels they do not. So to answer your question it wouldnt be a unique part 99% of internal spacers are just a length of pipe of varying thickness cut to the right length. I have used pipe from lowes in the past. The only thing I would worry about if doing it by your method would be once you mill the axle down I would want to be 100% positive that it was balanced so that you dont get any wobble. But if you know a really really good machinist I guess it would be ok. Oh one more question for you if your saddles are 3/4" would you be able to get your wheel spacer for the right side on or would you have the axle threaded on both sides? And for the tires I run a radial on the rear and a bias up front.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
OK, forget about that idea for now.............

OK inside the hub you would be able to fit a 1" 25mm or a 3/4 inch spacer the ODs dont have to be the same, the hole inside the hub is usually slightly smaller than the OD of the bearing itself. You align the spacer after you put the first bearing in and then press the other one on top of it. In older timken style wheels they wiggle around a minute bit but the new sealed bearing wheels they do not. So to answer your question it wouldnt be a unique part 99% of internal spacers are just a length of pipe of varying thickness cut to the right length. I have used pipe from lowes in the past. The only thing I would worry about if doing it by your method would be once you mill the axle down I would want to be 100% positive that it was balanced so that you dont get any wobble. But if you know a really really good machinist I guess it would be ok. Oh one more question for you if your saddles are 3/4" would you be able to get your wheel spacer for the right side on or would you have the axle threaded on both sides? And for the tires I run a radial on the rear and a bias up front.
.................... because I guess, if the spacer is held in place by the bearings when they are pressed in, then it will be just as easy to fit the 3/4" bearings............

...................... I didn't really follow your concern about turning down the ends of the axle in regards to being balanced? AFAIK, the axle doesn't rotate, so that cannot cause any wobble, and as for using a lathe, well, the axle would still be round - and I do know some great machinists!

thanks, nightrob! :)

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
your right the axle doesnt spin bit if u are off by even .001 in the turnings the wheel wont sit even. Math isnt my strong suite (i can count to 21 if i take my pants and my shoes off) so you do the math on the canter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts