V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a set of (preferably steel braided) +4 Cables for my Road King Classic. My scoot is an 05. I just swapped bars and im needing to extend everything. I could purchase new but I figured if someone here had a set laying around.. they could make some quick side cash. And i'd save some cash in the process. Thanx for your time. :)

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Unless you are using apes you can get the extra cable you need for free...Run your throttle cables outside the nacelle and just let the hang naturally. You will have plenty of extra length, plus your cables will last longer due to them not being in the sharp bends behind the nacelle. Reroute your clutch cable so it goes between the frame and front jug instead of in front of the frame. You will likely gain all the length you need here, also.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx for the advice. I'm going to be using Wild1's 508 bar. I read elsewhere that this could be done too. With this method, will it be taught anywhere? I will try it out as soon as i get to the garage today. I dont mind springing for the cables but if this method works, without looking "hacked", i'm all for it. Appreciate the reasurance. :thumbsup:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
I just put 56079-93 Wide Glide bars on my 2005 Road King Classic. Have enough length on every thing and those bars have an increase of 3.25" of rise but less pull-back about 2.5". Had to do some light bending of the brakeline and that was about it. Would Take a picture but the bike is dirty right now and all liquids to clean with would just freeze on the bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
Unless you are using apes you can get the extra cable you need for free...Run your throttle cables outside the nacelle and just let the hang naturally. You will have plenty of extra length, plus your cables will last longer due to them not being in the sharp bends behind the nacelle. Reroute your clutch cable so it goes between the frame and front jug instead of in front of the frame. You will likely gain all the length you need here, also.
I just picked up chubby wo517 bars for my 05 road king classic. The clutch cable was already extended 4". Are you saying that the thottle cables will be relocated behind the nacelle next the the neck where the strap for the cables is now located ? what is the maximum bend that can be safely put in the thottle cables. by the way I have electronic cruise control.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just finished my setup and i have to say.. it will work like these guys explained but i found it to be just a bandaid. Do yourself a favor and get the extra length and route them the way they came from MoCo. Just my opinion but I like it this way better. I upgraded to barnett's stainless cables. I cant be happier. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts