Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never mind.

Bike purchased.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Here's the best 2005 around. 30,000 careful miles by a retired 69 year old owner. Set up for both solo and 2 up. Fresh rubber, oil, and ceramic brakes. Always garaged. Flawless in every respect.

Kelly Blue Book:

September 18, 2007
2005 Harley-Davidson FLHRCI Rd KingClsc
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc
Suggested Retail Value $15970

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sedeluxe - No thanks on the deluxe.:nope:

xcelr8 - I wish your value was real. Unfortunately it is now 2007, almost 2008.

Expecting retail value is a thing of the past. Considering that the days of waiting lists for a new bike are long gone, and the new models have bigger motors and a six speed transmission, the demand for used bikes is just not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Here is the real number:
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc
Trade-In Value (Good Condition)
$11335

In addition to that, your mileage is doubled:
Street and Touring Expected Accumulated Average Mileage
Model Year Engine Displacement 750 & over(cc)
2005 - 15600

I don't know what the market is like where you live, but around here pre-2007 bikes like ours are bringing somewhere around trade-in value.

There are plenty of 2005's around that those status-symbol guys bought brand new. You can find one with under 5,000 miles on it, and 4 years remaining on the extended warranty. Those guys might see a little more than trade in value.

For guys like us that actually ride the bike...

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
black05flhrci said:

Expecting retail value is a thing of the past. Considering that the days of waiting lists for a new bike are long gone, and the new models have bigger motors and a six speed transmission, the demand for used bikes is just not as good as it was 7 years ago.

Here is the real number:
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc
$11335

2005 - 15600

I don't know what the market is like where you live, but around here pre-2007 bikes like ours are bringing somewhere around trade-in value.

There are plenty of 2005's around that those status-symbol guys bought brand new. You can find one with under 5,000 miles on it, and 4 years remaining on the extended warranty. Those guys might see a little more than trade in value.

You're dreaming if you think that bike should sell for $11k. I suggest looking on ebay. Plenty of great deals out there if you're patient. I doubt you'll find a very low mileage RKC below $14k though. Your best bet is to find a low mileage '02 as it has the Timken crank bearings.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
black05flhrci said:

Here is the real number:
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc
$11335

2005 - 15600

Perhaps your ad should have read "my friend is trying to rob a bike". I did not make up the numbers, it was from Kelley Blue Book 9/18/07. If I were trading my bike in, I would expect the dealer to use the "trade in value" numbers, but you are a retail buyer, so I quoted retail price.

Are you really a wholesaler, looking to buy bikes for resale?

·
05 Flhrci
135 Posts
black05flhrci said:

Why are you posting here if there's plenty up there? $11,335 What an insult.

·
Registered
194 Posts
$11K... you've got to be joking. If your buddy could actually buy (steal) a similar bike for $11K where you live, you'd both be in the bike flipping business.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
black05flhrci said:

Here is the real number:
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1450cc
$11335

2005 - 15600

When I bought my 05 (March of 06) there was a 97 FLHR on the dealers floor for sale, had over 80,000 miles on it and it looked to have been ridden hard and put away wet. Asking price? 11500.

If you can find an 05 TODAY with 5000 mile on it for 11,000 you better tell "Mr. Cash in Hand" to get to writing the check.

·
Banned
711 Posts
black05flhrci said:
s

Expecting retail value is a thing of the past.

Don't know what you're smoking but, as a biker, you should know what you write is nonsense. If it was true your "buddy" would be riding right now, not looking. And BTW, trade-in values are what you should expect from a dealer ON A TRADE IN!! The dealer then has his markup on the bike he sells and the bike you traded in. That's how it works dude!

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xcelr8 said:
Perhaps your ad should have read "my friend is trying to rob a bike". I did not make up the numbers, it was from Kelley Blue Book 9/18/07. If I were trading my bike in, I would expect the dealer to use the "trade in value" numbers, but you are a retail buyer, so I quoted retail price.

Are you really a wholesaler, looking to buy bikes for resale?

Yeah, that's it I am really a wholesaler. NOT:nope:

I consider "retail" to be what a dealer sells it for, not a private party.

Sorry you got offended, but I guess things are different where you live. Most of the dealers around here are selling new 2007 left overs for MSRP or less, plus they throw in a "Gift card" worth $500 or more. That means with a MSRP of $17,695, you can probably get one for less than 17k.

Who would buy a 3 year old, high mileage bike, with a smaller motor, and 6 speed transmission for 16k? (I just described mine):yikes:

I love my Road King, and it is not for sale, but if I ever decide to sell it, I will let you sell it for me. If you can get me $15,970 for it, you will have my admiration, and a commission that will be at least 10% of the down payment on your new bike.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To everyone else that replied, hey, thanks for the education:thanks:

It is sure nice to know that my bike is worth a lot more than I thought.

Meanwhile, when my buddy finds a bike, I will post it here with the details.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Disneyland address????

black05flhrci said:
Sorry you got offended, but I guess things are different where you live. Most of the dealers around here are selling new 2007 left overs for MSRP or less, plus they throw in a "Gift card" worth $500 or more. That means with a MSRP of $17,695, you can probably get one for less than 17k. Who would buy a 3 year old, high mileage bike, with a smaller motor, and 6 speed transmission for 16k?
Maybe your friend lives in Fantasyland. You may be able to find an Evo (pre 2000) RKC for 11 grand but to echo the sentiments of some of the others....ain't NFW you're realistically gonna find a 2-3 year old bike for that. Do the math. A new bike w/ tax, license, and every BS thing HD adds on...you're out the door in the $21,000 range. So...Who would buy a 3 YO bike for $15-16,000....probably more than you would think. The used bike is likely to have all the extra chrome and probably pipes at a minimum....all the stuff you or your friend might add at another $2000 bucks. Bottom line is that you're not likely buying a Harley on the steps of the courthouse for pennies on the dollar...Obviously, the used market isn't what it was. A buddy just bought a 2001 SERG w/ 26,000 miles for 13.5k. That seems like a good deal to me. No offense but your buddy (and maybe you too) seem a bit TOO optimistic and unrealistic. Hey, more power to ya if you pull it off and find some hard up moron willing to part with his for chump change...I sure wouldn't sell my 2000 RKC for that.....EVER.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
91fe said:
$11K... you've got to be joking. If your buddy could actually buy (steal) a similar bike for $11K where you live, you'd both be in the bike flipping business.
Maybe he is....:hmmm:

·
Registered
194 Posts
YankeeBob said:
Maybe he is....:hmmm:
No...I don't think so. Someone in the business would know their business.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1bdBagr said:
Maybe your friend lives in Fantasyland. You may be able to find an Evo (pre 2000) RKC for 11 grand but to echo the sentiments of some of the others....ain't NFW you're realistically gonna find a 2-3 year old bike for that. Do the math. A new bike w/ tax, license, and every BS thing HD adds on...you're out the door in the $21,000 range. So...Who would buy a 3 YO bike for $15-16,000....probably more than you would think. The used bike is likely to have all the extra chrome and probably pipes at a minimum....all the stuff you or your friend might add at another $2000 bucks. Bottom line is that you're not likely buying a Harley on the steps of the courthouse for pennies on the dollar...Obviously, the used market isn't what it was. A buddy just bought a 2001 SERG w/ 26,000 miles for 13.5k. That seems like a good deal to me. No offense but your buddy (and maybe you too) seem a bit TOO optimistic and unrealistic. Hey, more power to ya if you pull it off and find some hard up moron willing to part with his for chump change...I sure wouldn't sell my 2000 RKC for that.....EVER.

No offense taken.

I agree, your friend got a good deal.

The KBB RETAIL book value is:
2001 Harley-Davidson FLTRSEI2
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1550cc
Suggested Retail Value
$17495

He got it for $4000 less than KBB retail value.

How did he do it? :huh:

When I suggested it might be possible to buy a bike for $4,000 less than KBB retail value, I got slammed.

·
Do what thou wilt.
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
SEDELUXE said:
like i said 15,500 0 miles on a new 95in kit guaranteed over 100/100 bike has 10,000 miles on it you can add bags and windshield . Still be ahead of the game.

:thumbsup:

You get an A for effort !

I'll mention it to him when I talk to him.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts