V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a backrest set-up for my 06' Night Train and it doesn't work for this application so thought I'd try to move it on here before putting it on E-bay.
Includes Rigid Mount Sideplates(part #53387-03A), Short Rail Upright(part # 53010-98) and A Smooth Mini Rail Backrest Pad(52517-94). Plates and upright are Wrinkle Black. These are all absolutely brand new, never installed. The catalog shows the sideplates fit 00'-later FXSTB, they don't but I'm sure they'll fit up through the 05'. Paid close to $160.00 for these parts. I'd like $125.00 or best, I'll take care of the shipping and I do have a Paypal account if that helps. Any questions can be sent to me at [email protected]

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
What do you mean the side plates don't fit? A buddy of mine have them on his '06 night train and they fit fine. Are yours hitting the turn signals? or the holes don't line up? Whats wrong?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Petrock, I pulled the fender strut(support)off to install them. There is a bolt head hidden under the strut and the side plate has no cut-out to take this into consideration. Also, the the bolt furthest to the rear threads into a sleeve and the plates rear hole isn't nearly big enough to slide over this. The only way they will work is to perform some "surgery" or mount them on the outside of the fender strut, something I've never had to do in any of my previous scoots. That and the included install instructions don't accurately depict the 06' properly. I see you're looking for the same thing as I am. A short-railed rest. Let me know if you come across anything. I may still do some fabrication on this one to get what I want.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Bridgebldr26 said:
Petrock, I pulled the fender strut(support)off to install them. There is a bolt head hidden under the strut and the side plate has no cut-out to take this into consideration. Also, the the bolt furthest to the rear threads into a sleeve and the plates rear hole isn't nearly big enough to slide over this. The only way they will work is to perform some "surgery" or mount them on the outside of the fender strut, something I've never had to do in any of my previous scoots. That and the included install instructions don't accurately depict the 06' properly. I see you're looking for the same thing as I am. A short-railed rest. Let me know if you come across anything. I may still do some fabrication on this one to get what I want.
I was under the impression that they were supposed to be mounted on the outside of the fender strut? Every bike I've seen has had them mounted this way.

Go here and click on the 2006 FXST softail Standard pic. if you look closely, the side plates are mounted on the outside of the fender struts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed, they are on the outside but what you are seeing is for the detachables. If you check the parts list for that particular picture(Softail Standard) they are called out as that. I'm coming off a long line of Dyna's so that's what got me thinking as they where always mounted on the inside. Best picture I could find(for an inside mount) is for Billet Back Mount(#52552-01), it's in the catalog or may be under HD's site also. Shows a pretty good picture. HD's intent may be to mount on the outside for the 06' but that's not a look I really care for. May be time for the machine shop. Hope this helps.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I just checked the part number of the sissy bar upright itself (53010-98). That won't fit an '06 Softail. Here's the fitment info:

Fits '04-later XL models with Detachable Sideplates, '06 Dyna™ models and '84-later Softail® models (except FXSTD and '06 FXST, FXSTB and FXSTS). You should look for a wider sissy bar upright. Check with your dealer. The HD parts catalog has alot more choices then the HD web site. Good luck...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, I ordered that part (upright)in error, my fault for not paying closer attention. Just got the bike last Friday but had been acquiring parts prior to delivery. Had them for awhile so dealer won't take back cuz' I don't have all the original packaging, that's why I put the set-up for sale. I may go to a detachable and try to refab the upright so can get a workable set-up. Like I said before, good luck in the search and let me know if you come across the right set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts