V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. A round of your favorite beverage on me.

While doing my 1000 mile service, I was trying to find the transmission drain plug on my 2003 FLSTFI.

I found what I thought was it, but as it turns out, it was the crankcase drain plug. It drained for a few seconds then stopped. I found some info online and in my shop manual about putting it back in and getting the correct torque on it. Which I've done.

Question is, what is that drain plug for? What came out of it? And do I need to worry about getting any fluid back in there?

Thanks for easing my concerns.

Ward

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ward,

I did the same thing, and recieved a warning from Hippo saying don't do that again. Over torque this dude, and can do some damage (although then you can custom build an engine ;)

I guess you can jeopardize cracking the case. The hole was only an access way for assembly, if my lousy memory serves me.

There is more discussion if you do a search...

Try this link

http://209.151.86.249/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4382&highlight=drain+plug

·
Registered
450 Posts
HEADS UP!!!!

THE PLUG I THINK OYU REMOVED HAD YOUR OIL IN IT!! S o the answer is yes you do need to put soem more back in BEFORE YOU START the bike.

An easy way to tell is to check the oil level with the dip stick --of course.

Now for your question -- the transmission fluid plud is in the centoer of the bottom of the transmission. It is not that easy to get to and if you are not comfortable with what you are doing I woudl suggesst strongly that you stop and get some help or take it to your dealer.

you can do some REAL EXPENSIVE damage by not replacing fluids you may have removed in error.

Regards.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wardhawg

You should have the dealer or a H-D certified shop preform the 1000 mi. service its the most important one. Might prevent issues if future waranty problems should arise.

Theres quite a few items they check to ensure nothing has come loose and are supose to go over the entire bike and adjust primary and change all oils and retorque everything just to be safe.

If you enjoy doing your own maitance buy a service manual and a parts manual, you can ask around here on where to find the best price but in the long run money well spent.
And I always torque enerything.

The plug for the engine oil is in the front of the pan (NOT the allen pipe plug right next to it) the 5/8"plug.

Same size plug on the trans 5/8" some are on the bottom, some on right side

What plug did you take out ? If you only lost a small amount I would ride it to get hot then check both trans and oil levels the way the manual says to.

If the one you removed is a allen head inspection plug in the bottom of the case torq it to spec.

Sin

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was crankcase pipe plug

I've found out what I removed was the crankcase pipe plug.

The entire amount drained out of it, but I've been told that it's not something that I need to worry about.

The only thing that it seems was important is that you wrench it back in there with the proper torque. Which I have done. Otherwise I understand you could do some serious damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts