V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be moving to upstate SC and wondering if there are any good wrenches in the area or within driving distance?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Where in the upstate are you moving to. I lived in the Greenville/Spartanburg area for many years. During that Time I've seen many independent shops come and go. However I always had good luck with the Greenville dealer. From what I understand a new dealer has opened in Spartanburg to compete with Greenville.

I wish I had more to offer.

Good luck on the move..

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Spartanburg dealer has been there since 1965, but they just built a new building next to I-85. There's Timm's Harley in Anderson, new building also. He's been there since 1948. Haven't used either one for service work.
I had Harley of Greenville do the 95" stage II setup on my bike 3 years ago. Also had them replace a leaky transmission seal. They did a good job both times.
Timm's has a dyno, Greenville doesn't. Spartanburg had one a couple years ago but didn't have it working, don't know if they ever got it working or not.
There's a few indy shops around Greenville. Pete Hill & Cycle Deli in Greenville, Xtreme Customs and Cycles in Simpsonville, Assembly of Tod in Fountain Inn. Up in NC, there's Blue Ridge Harley in Hickory (Dynojet tuning center) and Tilley's Harley is Statesville, they race V-Rods.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
murphdog said:
The Spartanburg dealer has been there since 1965, but they just built a new building next to I-85. There's Timm's Harley in Anderson, new building also. He's been there since 1948. Haven't used either one for service work.
I had Harley of Greenville do the 95" stage II setup on my bike 3 years ago. Also had them replace a leaky transmission seal. They did a good job both times.
Timm's has a dyno, Greenville doesn't. Spartanburg had one a couple years ago but didn't have it working, don't know if they ever got it working or not.
There's a few indy shops around Greenville. Pete Hill & Cycle Deli in Greenville, Xtreme Customs and Cycles in Simpsonville, Assembly of Tod in Fountain Inn. Up in NC, there's Blue Ridge Harley in Hickory (Dynojet tuning center) and Tilley's Harley is Statesville, they race V-Rods.
What ever happened to the guys at D&G cycles in Simpsonville ?

Maybe I've been away too long.. I sure miss riding up there....

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Never heard of D&G, when were they in Simpsonville?
You wouldn't like the traffic here these days, it's really gotten bad in the last 5 years or so. They keep talking about controlling growth, but it's out of control. I don't even like to ride to work anymore. It used to be a 10 minute ride all out in the country, now it's 20 minutes of stop and go...not fun. Once you get away from town all's well, but town keeps expanding out into the country. I like to ride over in Pickens and Oconee counties and up in NC, no traffic and nice scenery.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
D&G was there in the very early 90,s. They were a couple of hardcore wrenches who worked wonders on my 73 ironhead.

I never lived in town up there. For awhile I lived on Fairview Rd. in fountain Inn. then moved to Inman. So I did the same kept it to the country roads and enjoyed to view.

The only thing I don't miss is the winter, Damn if we didn't get snow just about every year in Inman. so we retired here in Florida. It can still get cold but no damn snow.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Fairview Road south of Simpsonville is all built up with stores and subdivisions now. I ride down Fairview Road once in awhile and end up in Greenwood then come back up 25 to Mauldin, nice 100 mile ride. We haven't had our annual 2" snowfall yet this year, but we did have a nasty ice storm last week. Power was out for a week in lots of places. Temp hit almost 60 this afternoon, lots of fair weather bikers out! Ha, my limit is about 50, below that it's not fun.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Well you ride right past my old house. Big three story white house with a red roof on 20 acres. The last time I was there the new owner turned it into a pine tree farm. Damn I miss the fields I had..

Oh well it would be too much work for us to keep up now. The next time we plan a trip that way I'll give you a shout and we can take a ride....

stay safe...

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help for SC

Thanks for all who wrote about a wrench in SC. I liked the Greenville HD facility however, when I was there last year they were not an MSRP dealer and I hate to donate to that philosophy. They were upfront in saying that if they could get another thousand or two then for a bike then why sell for MSRP.
I will not be in the Greenville area for another for six months so I will check out the shops that were mentioned.
Thanks again,
Old Chuck

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think they've changed their pricing a little in the last year. They had been asking anywhere from $2-2.5K over msrp, then they would almost immediately come down $1k. You're right about their attitude, they weren't ashamed to tell you if you didn't buy a bike at their price, someone else would. They used to, maybe still do, get bikes from other dealers around the country, that's why they have such a good selection. They now have msrp displayed on at least some of the bikes. The more desirable ones are still marked up. I haven't talked price with them in 3 years but I do look at their posted prices when I go in. They're right though, if people will pay the price...why not.
Timm's down in Anderson is advertising all bikes at msrp, they add on $200 for setup. They actually have a bunch of new 1200C Sportsters at $1000 below msrp.

·
certifried deekhead
103 Posts
Pete Hill in Greenville used to rule the dragstrip with his knuckles. I was buliding a knuckle back in the late '70s weant down to talk to him and he gave me a lot of good frre advice. A champ of a man!!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Murphdog,
Given the Greenville HD and Timm's in Anderson, do you have an opinion as to which is best for general work or service? As I said, I hate to give money to a market price shop over an MSRP one.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Chuck, I've never had any work done at Timm's so can't offer an opinion on them. They have been in business since 1948 though, so they must be doing something right. Greenville has done a good job for me with what I've had them do, a couple 1K services, tire changes, 95" stage II, couple warranty items, transmission seal. They don't seem to be very high performance knowledgable if you're looking for something outside the canned SE packages. Last time I had work done at Greenville, they were at $56/hour. Don't know what Timm's rate is.
As I said, I think Greenville has become a little less proud of their bikes with Spartanburg and Timm's selling at or below msrp and actually having bikes on the floor to sell. When the other two dealerships were in their old smaller buildings, they usually didn't have much in stock; a few Sportsters and a V-Rod or two, maybe a couple big twins. Greenville always had a good selection and people were willing to pay over msrp to get one right now.
http://timmsharley.com/
http://www.h-dog.com/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts