V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kerker 2 into 1 exhaust for my 84 FXR and it is plain stainless. I was planning on wrapping it to provide some insulation and avoid burning myself as much as possible. My friend a career bike mechanic tells me that he HATES wrapped pipes because they hold onto to much heat.
I have zero experience with wrapping pipes and I would appreciate your thoughts, experience, advise, wisecracks, etc.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did it once and that was enough for me.

Your best shot at getting the wrap applied neatly is to remove the pipes first.

The color burns off pretty quickly and they are unsightly after that.

They do contain the heat though.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I had wrapped drags and if you don't use the spray paint on top of the wrap, the wrap deteriorates in like one season, maybe two. If you do wrap it you will be tempted to start at the inlet but for proper overlap (like roof shingles) you need to start at the "exhaust out" end. Two people makes the job easier.
The finish on the pipes will become way worse over time while under the wrap too.

Check out ceramic coating for you pipe.

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
If you wrap it, the finish will be ruined. It will never shine back up. And you run the risk of the stainless over heating and developing a crack.

I'm guessing you have to run forwards on that set up, so figure out where your leg will be and make some heat shields out a stainless pipe a 1/4 in larger than the pipe they are covering. If the shields need to be over the bends, you can buy some pre bent sections and cut the shields out of that.

Past that, I don't see a rear hanger. You have to hang the rear of that pipe off of the trans. Not the frame, it has to be the trans. If you don't it will break the flange studs off in the heads.

On last word on pipe wrap. That stuff will make you itch, every time you touch it. It never stops shedding glass fibers.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a mounting bracket that doesnt fit, I have to make the transmission part or buy one and put them together. A guy gave me this pipe, he had run it without a bracket so it had cracks. He also painted it black. I cleaned it up with a wire wheel and had the cracks repaired. I am in the process of fitting it and making the bracket, but now I think I will send it off to Jet Hot for coating, unless someone knows a better place.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
you could have em powder coated or just polish em up... id just polish em...hi temp engine paint will scratch easy...the wrap stinks toxic and dont last a season..my experience!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mines aways been wrapped. Never had an issue. Its quick and simple and I put a fresh wrap on each year. Takes less than an hour and $20.
I then dust mine over with a heatproof spray in areas to make it look old as the new wrap looks too clean and I want a vintage look.

Just put the roll of wrap under a tap for a couple of mins and then off you go! Start at one end by putting a small hole in the wrap and threading through a jubilee clip then fit that to the bike first and wrap over the top of the clip then work your way along. When you get to the other end cut the wrap and tuck the end under and finally put other jubilee clip over the top.

Wear gloves as the glass particles in the wrap can get into your hands (like fibreglass) and make 'em sore for a couple of days.

Tire Sky Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
365 Posts
Get them Jet Hot coated, you will be happier and you can get it in different colors.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just got the quote from Jet Hot for polished chrome at $325, I may see how much polished black is. I see a lot of automotive headers offered with ceramic coating but I don't recall seeing motorcycle pipes being offered by mfgs.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
If the Jet Hot is too much dough (it is) then I would make a heat shield like Therm says. Figure out where it is needed and how long it needs to be. Trace that section on some cardboard. Measure the OD of your pipe. Head on down to the muffler/exhaust shop and explain. They will bend you a piece. Saw in half lengthwise. A couple of hose clamps tack welded in place for attaching. Radiused (small) smooth corners.

The pipe bracket should hang off the back 3 trans cover bolts. Again, cardboard and scissors are your friends.
Both involve some fab but could be farmed out if you don't have the tools.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a friend with a box full of take off heat shields, so I guess that is the best way to go. I am puzzeled about the wrap, it seemed like a decent alternative but I can clearly see now that is not the case.
I will call this solved at this point, leave it alone, save money, and move onto the bracket.
Thank you all for your advise and input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Trying to repack a set of Khrome Werks 3" slash cut slip ons, part # 202348 (or 202350).

Looks to be a 1/2 fiberglass mat but underneath is a paper thin, mesh type white fiberglass sheet that wraps directly around the metal baffle.

Any idea what this is called and/or where I can find it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts