V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new, back into bikes after a 10 year hiatus, and holy crap, $641 quote for a pair of tires installed on my Deuce. I had no idea this was such a rich mans pastime! Comes in a little less then the 4 new load range E ten ply tires I just put on the truck. I ain't saving anything riding the bike to work (except parking hassles...)

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Methinks you should find another tire shop.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Try these guys,

http://www.americanmototire.com

I bought a bunch of tires from them. Never had a problem. Last order a few months ago I bought a set of Dunlops for my Softail. I bought the same tire that the bike came from the factory with. $186 to my door including shipping for both tires. No tax here in Colorado. I took my wheels off and took them to an indy shop to get the tires swapped out. That was $40.

They sell most of the popular brands of bike tires.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
What Maxum 96 said. There are a lot of places to get tires through the Internet...very reasonable priced. A few tools and a motorcycle jack (I still have an old red Craftsman, which is still working very well), and you can save a lot of money. Get a service manual for your bike. {salute(

Thorns

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
DDuess said:
I am relatively new, back into bikes after a 10 year hiatus, and holy crap, $641 quote for a pair of tires installed on my Deuce. I had no idea this was such a rich mans pastime! Comes in a little less then the 4 new load range E ten ply tires I just put on the truck. I ain't saving anything riding the bike to work (except parking hassles...)
AND..don't forget..the cost of a flat repair is at least the cost of a replacement tire.

Just thought I'd cheer you up?

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
It's called a service manual. Changing a tire is pretty freaking simple. You bought a motorcycle, not the space shuttle.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
HiAngle said:
It's called a service manual. Changing a tire is pretty freaking simple. You bought a motorcycle, not the space shuttle.
Even if you don't want to remove the wheels yourself, there are shops that will be glad for the labor. It shouldn't cost more than $100 for the whole job and maybe $50 at the right shop. That is cash money, that they can pocket.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I found cheaper tires on the internet, but the local shops, indy or not get $40 per tire, not per set. I do have a manual, I don't have a balancer. I think I will start up a motorcycle tire shop, $82 an hour I could live on.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
DDuess said:
Yeah, I found cheaper tires on the internet, but the local shops, indy or not get $40 per tire, not per set. I do have a manual, I don't have a balancer. I think I will start up a motorcycle tire shop, $82 an hour I could live on.
I'm having a hard time with the math. Even at $40 each indy install, that should total about $260-$340 for the pair (depending on the tires ordered) if you order the tires online or by 800 number. That's a LONG way from $641.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to the dealer, 160-17 rear metzler, $257.95, front, $125.95 (MH90-21), 2.5 hours install ($82.50/hr) just to compare price to what I might find on the net. So tires and tax, $416.91, labor, 224.09, that's the math, I didn't show all work...
Thanks for the link Maxum96, I'll order tires there
Rough crowd

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Sorry...didn't see the part where you went to a dealer for the tire quote. That's most often the worst place for tires/prices. I guess it's like going to a car dealer for replacement tires. They'll sell 'em to you and do the labor.....at the worst prices around.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
hey DDuess is Steps shop still open? how much do they want to change them? what about he guy in Port Orchard, did ya try him.

down here i had two tires balanced for $20 cash, i mounted my own so i don't know how much they charge for mounting.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shovel; I am gonna ask around at work, several Harley riders, see where they get tires. I called a couple shops in Bremerton, I'll branch out the search.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
DDuess said:
Shovel; I am gonna ask around at work, several Harley riders, see where they get tires. I called a couple shops in Bremerton, I'll branch out the search.
DD, I see your in WA, call Motosport.com(find their number on the web) they are in OR. ship free on orders over $100 and stock what they sell so if you call on Sat. they'll ship Mon. and you should have them on Tues. My tires 150 rear and 130 front wide white wall 16" Avon Venoms were about 280 delivered and it cost me 25 per tire to have the local cycle gear mount and balance them. You don't need to go to the local HD dealer or HD indy to get tires done. Any motorcycle shop can do it. You should be able to get two blackwall tires purchased, mounted and balanced for under 3 bills.

Joe

·
Registered
822 Posts
jasilva said:
DD, I see your in WA, call Motosport.com(find their number on the web) they are in OR. ship free on orders over $100 and stock what they sell so if you call on Sat. they'll ship Mon. and you should have them on Tues. My tires 150 rear and 130 front wide white wall 16" Avon Venoms were about 280 delivered

Joe

Not trying to toot their horn, but Americanmototire.com shows about $265 for the same tires including shipping. And unless you're in AZ, no sales tax.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
We placed an order with Americanmototire.com on Oct 7 for 4 tires. The price was right and we thought all was in order. Then on Oct 12 we get an email saying they canceled our order, out of stock.

We called Jenni at Charlie's HD in Huntington, WV and she shipped all 4 tires and we will have them Monday. She gave us 20% off (MoCo price), charged no tax and shipped at cost. Total for all 4 tires was less than 50 bucks more than Americanmototire but no BS. Jenni is so efficient I might have to ride there and meet her.

RT

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
DDuess said:
I think I will start up a motorcycle tire shop, $82 an hour I could live on.
You would probably starve, alot of guys that wrench independently don't make much of a living and they have to work 12 hour days to do it.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
trooper113 said:
Love to do business with Jenni at Charlie's H-D, however, I doubt that I'd order tires there. I've found that http://www.ronayers.com/ offers one of the best combinations of tire availability, price and great service.
Thanks for the link. May try them next time. This time we had to have 2 of the tires ordered in time to have them mounted and installed for a road trip the 19th. Ron Ayers is 7 bucks under Jenni on my tire.

RT

1 - 20 of 34 Posts