V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take a moment and say Thank you to everyone here in the forum. I am not a bike mechanic I own a construction company in Kansas City. So I’m good with my hands but have never worked on a bike in my life. I’ve ridden my entire life but never wrenched. I decided I wanted to begin working in myself just as in interest I got as I got older now. So here recently I have replaced my front and rear suspension. Installed new Vance and Hines pro piped with the thundermax EFI. Installed new throttle body. We had already changed over to S&S cams and gear drive so I can’t take credit for that but then I chromed my inner primary and while I was in there found that the shifter was welded to the shifter pawl. So completely rebuilt the tranny while it was out. Replaced the main bearing and all other bearings. Installed a new Barnett scorpion clutch. Installed new 14” hangers and all new cables. New front and rear brakes. Rebuilt the front calipers. Then probably more I’m not thinking about but I did all this with a manual and help from you guys here in the forum. I couldn’t have done it without you guys so thank you so much. Bike has never ran so good. Ow we are changing out the inner and outer fairing and installed all new Led lights. This 88” 06 Electra glide flat out smoked a new 113” yesterday. It wasn’t even close. So once again everyone thank you and keep up the good work.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
This forum is great even for guys who do know how to work on bikes. An enormous think tank and wealth of knowledge on here. Congrats on your build

·
Registered
589 Posts
So true ! Whenever my manual and memory is not enough, i just log in here and help is near.
Had a primary drive thread where my hands were literally held with
the right wrenches through the whole thing.
In some cases a manual is just not enough if you have never done it before.
And it doesn`t tell all the tricks and how to`s.
I love this place, it`s my absolute favorite forum.

Some things are not in the manual as there often are different and / or better ways.
One example - the primary case adjustment via shims described by Turboprop (FXR section, guys are family).

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
We are spoiled from those that know their chit here, sometimes you forget about the person behind the knowledge that roams the topics here.

Best part is they shoot you straight, especially on a no info open question. Cuts thru the bull poop

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
Glad you're having positive results.
A lot of info to be had when needing answers to questions..

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
We are spoiled from those that know their chit here, sometimes you forget about the person behind the knowledge that roams the topics here.

Best part is they shoot you straight, especially on a no info open question. Cuts thru the bull poop
I've had a few things that even a mechanical cretin like myself can do without running to the indie. Like the crank sensor they hit the nail on the head. Recently I had an electrical problem and the simple thing was to check the tightness of the battery cables, but no I have to tear it down the side. I was stumped for sure. Then I read a thread I was like what the hell I will look. Sure enough the negative was about to fall off.duh. Thanks guys.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
being one of the knowledgeable individuals here,,, many times the questions are lacking so much necessary info,, others overwhelming with useless info...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts