V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a bud who bought a 99 Ultra Classic earlier this year, it's his first Harley after years on metrics. Last week I was telling him about the rear cam bearing problems with the early TC's and told him he should check and see if they had ever been changed (he has 30K on the clock). He calls the local dealer and they look up the VIN and say "nope, they haven't been changed, can you drop it off next Tuesday"? He asked about an estimate and they tell him "no charge"! I am floored...because as I understand it this was never an official recall and they just offered an additional 5yr/50,000 mile warranty ONLY if they imploded, no preemptive repairs. Has the MoCo reversed their policy on this or did my bud just luck out?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I think your bud just lucked out. Did he buy the bike from them? You might wanna post the name of this dealer. Sounds like they aren't half bad.

He should also be aware that just because the HD check shows no indication they have been changed, it's very possible that it could have been done by an indy shop or even the previous owner. HD wouldn't have any record of that.

I'd also changed out inner cam bearings and cam tensioner shoes while in there.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Ed Y said:
It's my guess they intend to let him know about that...better watch the estimate...jus' sayin'

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
They may install a "super kit" {cam plate assy, oil pump, lifters & bearings}.

And have them install a White bros "easy pull" while they are over there.

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed Y said:
I think your bud just lucked out. Did he buy the bike from them? You might wanna post the name of this dealer. Sounds like they aren't half bad.

He should also be aware that just because the HD check shows no indication they have been changed, it's very possible that it could have been done by an indy shop or even the previous owner. HD wouldn't have any record of that.

I agree, I think he just lucked out. He did not buy the bike from the dealer (Savannah H-D) and I told him to have them check the tensioners while they're in there which I'm sure they would anyway. Think "B" lifters would be advisable too?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
At 30K miles, new lifters wouldn't hurt especially considering he's probably got the original -99 lifters in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts