V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am a new 2/tone v-rod owner (2 weeks, 500 miles). This bike is incredible. It's has the looks, performance and oh yes attention!! Coming out of a restaurant or store, there are always crowds of people around my bike. I just found this forum and everyone here has great answers and opinions. I do wish that I would have found this earlier (when I put my name on an incoming bike). Reading some of the threads, I can add to a couple of the comments. I live in Orlando, Florida. I called all of the HD shops throughout the Southeastern US looking for a 2/tone bike. The waiting lists are unreal and the mark-ups as well. Everyone seems to want this bike. I have also heard, that HD will be limiting the amount of 2/tones they make, so by December they are expected to sell out. So even though resale values seem low for now (I'm not ever selling mine) they should hold just as good or not better than the other harleys. I have experienced the 1st gear 5-10 mph lugging or surging. I hope that goes away with break-in and my addition of a stage 1 kit. If not, my service manager wants to sell me a power commander (still not sure if it worth the money) I also have experienced the rubbing noise (left side belt and gaurd) in 5th gear between 50-60 mph @ 3500 rpm. I just wont go that slow in 5th gear, I guess it caused by the bike bogging down or something similar. I am also feeling the front end stiffen up quite a bit. So I suppose the front fork nuts need to be tightend. I will get all those thing looked at Again at my 1000 mile service or whenever my accessories come in. (I have to ride it at least 1-2 hours per day) Speaking of accessories, luckly I did choose the 16 gauge screaming eagles, crome belt gaurds, front and rear sproket nut covers, braided coolant hose, sterling silver molded saddle bags (hope I like them, because a back pack sucks) Sundowner seat, 100th anniversary back rest and all of it's needed items. (I do understand that all this stuff can be easily taken off when the wifes not riding) and a few other chromed things. Reading through the threads, most of this stuff were hands down a winner. Did anyone elect to buy the gold key package (2003 buyers)? I did, to bad it takes 2-3 months to get. I am not the do it yourself type of guy, but my HD service charges $54.00 for an oil change???? So I will probable be doing my own. I still not sure about mobile 1, I have always ran it in my trucks, cars and play toys but I might wait until I get some higger miles on the bike before I choose any synthetic.

Thanks for listening,

vrsc.......................

:) :cool:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Glad you like your new bike.

Mobil 1 would be a much better choice then that crap that HD stocks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey man, congratulations. Welcome to the club! It's awesome isn't it... :D

I got an 03 two tone from Lakeland. Not too far from you. I was the first to give them a deposit (in July), so I received their first two tone Rod (in late Sept). Which dealer did you buy from and how much did they sock it to ya? I got the same spiel with mine....two tones being limited in production. Right now they're putting accessories on it that were a part of the original sale. Lakeland didn't give a choice on the gold key package -- everyone had to take it. And it's the only accessory I've paid for that hasn't arrived yet.

Happy Riding! :)

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
g-rod said:
Lakeland didn't give a choice on the gold key package -- everyone had to take it.
You always have a choice. If you didn't want it in the first place you should have taken your a$$ and $$$ somewhere else. Why do you let the $tealer dictate what you buy? Some "option" you got there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would've elected to purchase the gold key package anyway, so not having a choice didn't bother me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
g-rod, Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of town riding. I got my 03 two tone from Lakeland as well. They were the only dealership in the area that could get one soon. Orlando (the biggest dealership in the area) has yet to recieve one and their waiting list is 20 deep. some of those people will not get one. I believe, we already have met. Since I have the second two/tone from Lakeland and you got the first. I will call you soon and we will go riding. What accessories did you get put on? My bike is there now. I am getting most of my accessories on. Some have just not came in. Thanks,
VRSC

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a two tone also, you would be foolish not to get the gold key package. The two tone is limited and it is even more rare to get one with a gold key!! Some of the 03 silver ones will pilfer a few gold key packages so not all two tones can get one. I picked my bike up with it. My dealer is only getting 4 rods total and 1 two tone........ MINE!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
vrsc, the molded bags look great and IMHO are a must have. I've had them on since day one and to me, the bike just doesn't look as good without them. Be aware though, the seals suck. They were waterproof for a while, but the way the thin edge of the lid closes kind of abuses the seal. I've got another set of seals waiting for me at the dealership.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The two tone is limited and it is even more rare to get one with a gold key!!
I don't think that the Vrod (even a two tone) really has potential to hold anymore value than any other bike. Especially during a 14 month production year. My opinion is that the gold key package is a rip-off. I can see it's appeal to many, and if it wasn't so much money, I'd consider one, but I wouldn't count on any "limited edition" value so to speak. Just my humble opinion is all.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have about 5 weeks until I get my gold key package. The main reasons I got the gold key package were: 1. I liked the items it included, 2. It is only offered for 2003 models and 3. To my knowledge, all the past anniversary models that have the special package items, have held a higher value.
My sterling silver saddlebags are still not in, and my dealer does not know when they will??? Has anyone experienced any problems with the painted saddlebags or other painted accessories?? Any easy chipping ect??? If so, does harley warrant them????? Are the molded saddle bags easy to remove and put back on??

·
Registered
147 Posts
The molded bags are not really painted. The are molded in the color. The lid is a plastic "chrome". Mine haven't chipped, bu they do make gettin on and off the bike a little more challenging for the less nimble. Have to be careful not to drag a boot on them. The are hard to keep shiny, but I've found the HD gloss or McGuires quick detail do a good job. They are not the kind that just pop off, they have to be unbolted from the inside. Like I said, the only problem I've had is saggy seals that leak.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Is IMHO the abv. for saddlebags??? I also need some info on the solid wheels. What are the best cleaners/polishers out there. Some listed mothers aluminum polish. I do not want to damage the wheels but the harley stuff is not that great to me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
**IMHO** You can never have too much power or too much chrome.
I can't think of one good reason why my key needs to be gold.
Sounds like something my uncle would have on his Fleetwood.

While I'm on a roll, Vrods are made for cruising, not touring. Any saddle bag looks wrong on this rig. Just **IMHO**:rolleyes:

Just ride

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I do agree that you can never have too much chrome as I have almost all the chrome replacement parts for this ride. Have you seen a gold key?? It is actually pretty nice. Not something I will use all of the time, more like a collectors item and something different!! As for the saddle bags, personal preferences are different. It just so happens, that the people who elect to install saddle bags on their machines must need it for 1 purpose or another. A back pack is just not functional and is a pain in the a**. Just like sissy bars and passanger back rests. They serve a function. These items are simple to remove, when not in use for the stock look!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
IMHO
As I said, no need for gold keys or gold credit cards. Both are just sneaky marketing gimmicks to separate you from your cash.

What ever floats your boat.

All I need is gas and good weather. Save the trinkets and keepsakes for the RUBs

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ok...Been reading this post and what the Hell is a Gold Key package?
Alittle help here!!
Thanks

BTW: gotta agree with rhauft on the bag issue! Dont like em!

·
Registered
149 Posts
VRSC,

I've havn't used any aluminum polish at all. Just liquid aluminum wheel cleaner that is sprayed on then rinsed off. It removes brake dust and other road nasties. Wipe dry. Leases a nice shine.

I have very similar rims on my 2001 Honda Sabre (except their slotted) and tried aluminum polish once. Because these rims, V-Rod and Sabre, do not have a truly "polished" surface they don't take well to paste or liquid polishing and tend to streak, leaving an uneven appearance.

Just my 2 cents, mybe someone else has found something better.

Pete

1 - 20 of 31 Posts