V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Dyno pretty much speaks for itself, 114TQ at 3500, Yeah Baby!!!
Haven't gotten to ride it yet! Can you believe it!!Went to pick it up today, been dry and 50 here the past two days. Was gonna take it for a ride before I put it on the trailer, the shop is almost 100 miles from home. As soon as they pulled it around, it started Pouring a deluge of rain, supposed to pour for at least the next week:( You can bet I'll be out riding the first time it's even semi dry. I just don't like riding in the rain that much and with all that power, I wanna give it a go in the dry first. Anyhow, here it is.

Springer, sorry they got it wrong on the print out for the heads, they always use baisley in their shop and I guess that's just what they figured they had. Thanks to you and bean, congrats too!! Those be some pretty impressive #'s there for a "mild" build, feel free to post it on your/beans site.

Gotta Give a plug to Mike Stegman at Latus HD in Portland, this guy and the entire staff has bent over backwards to make me happy and I have had opportunity to see them treat every customer like this.
Also Thanks to Freeman Choppers who did the build and actually allowed me to watch and help throughout the whole thing and did it so reasonably $$wise it'd blow your mind. I'll post all that once it's been ridden for awhile and everything is still copesetic....

Oh yeah, I forgot to say, I had them do their Dyno Break-In on it so it's really ready to ride. They have been doing this for awhile and do alot of work for baisley and they swear by it! Mike told me they always get the best #'s from bikes broken by this method, also said to bring it in in a few hundred miles for a baseline, he say's #'s will go up as it gets broken in more....

The build is:
Andrews TW37b(chain) Cams
BigBoyz Street Ported Heads
SE Forged H/C Pistons(final CR= 9.7:1)
BC Gerolamy Ported Magnetti/Marelli Throttle Body(42MM)
PCIIIR
V&H ProPipe

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
Adlerx,

Nice numbers!

I see you have upgraded the M&M TB from 38mm to 42mm.
How do you like it?
Where do you see gains or changes in performance?

I ask because I have a similar build, and the opportunity to pick up a 42mm TB myself. I am kicking around the idea of picking it up, but am unsure if it will make a big difference to my build.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paniolo said:
Adlerx,

Nice numbers!

I see you have upgraded the M&M TB from 38mm to 42mm.
How do you like it?
Where do you see gains or changes in performance?

I ask because I have a similar build, and the opportunity to pick up a 42mm TB myself. I am kicking around the idea of picking it up, but am unsure if it will make a big difference to my build.

Thanks

Mark
Hey Pani! Well, it was the first part I bought three years ago and didn't actually decide to use it for sure til the last minute. I can't speak to before and after, I was stage1 before build and I haven't gotten to actually ride this one yet. The dyno guy said I did the right thing putting it on. I almost sold it here a couple of times but the guys who supposedly wanted it(weren't you one of em?) always backed out. So anyhow, since I had it, I put it on...
I really think the heads and cams are where most of the strength comes from though....

·
Banned
1,636 Posts
adlerx said:
I really think the heads and cams are where most of the strength comes from though....
That's what I thought.
I already have heads and cams, so I'm thinking that the larger TB will really be more of a gas user than a torque maker.
Thanks.

Mark

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
Congratulations!
?prty:

Inexpensive build with great results.

I see the Dyno is using STD correction. Is it 4th or 5th gear?

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Very nice result. You had the right parts and good people to back it up. Even if it has to be reprinted in 4th corrected the numbers look good. I do build like this a lot here and get similar results with Bob Gage heads. The TB was a wise move, and that will help even a stocker.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Way to go Adlerx! Bet you had a ball watching it all go together and it will sure be a hoot to drive!

GC

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think the guru's here will chime in and tell you the same thing; that AFR needs to be straightened out a little in the beginning and that curve should follow suit. Should be a nice smooth curve with a final tune and a nice AFR.

Anyway, nice peak numbers, should be a hoot to ride.

darrell

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
sounds like you're pleased and had a good experience helping...:thumbsup:

·
Head Trickster
116 Posts
Thanks for posting your info...I am doing a similay build this winter, too...Hopefully in February. How long did they have your bike?

What was your appx cost? pm if you like :)

Thanks, Tag

·
Registered
337 Posts
Are you sure that you used the SE Forged Pistons and not the cast? Seems to me that your CR is low for using the forged unless your chambers are huge. My heads were measured at 89cc and with .03 gasket and the SE cast Hi-Comp pistons will yeild 9.9 CR. The forged pistons, i thought would have you end up with a higher CR than 9.7. Did i miss something?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Sure it's gonna be fun to ride, looking for some arm extensions now!

Paniolio, From what I have heard, the larger TB really has it's big benefits at WOT. How much WOT do you do? Alot of tuners say with MM it's mandatory if you want power, if yer happy with your build, keep it!

Genoway, not sure if 4th or 5th, I will ask when I talk to the dyno guy. I have 3.37 gears so 5th actually might be appropriate from what I have read here.

Irondr, I talked to the guy about the dip, he said he spent alot of time on that and actually took it off the dyno and test rode it on the street 4 times during the course of tuning. He says it is really smooth and and I won't notice that dip. Also, if you notice, all that happens under 2500 and I never ride below 2500 anyhow. We'll see!

Xkvator, pretty pleased but I still haven't gotten to ride it, I'll sure post about it when I do, looks like a chance for a dry day next thursday. just not gonna ride it for the first time in the wet, fear I would wanna jump on it and break that back tire loose, I am a patient man, I can wait....

Tagster, my cost isn't indicative since I spent two years shopping and found a few of items really cheap on ebay. My bottom line total is $2220, this includes ALL parts labor, including the SE/AC and PCIII (Which I already had). It also includes a dyno break-in procedure, it's ready to ride!! I could have saved 400 by not replacing my old ProPipe which I had originally bought used and is a little beat up cosmetically. This price also includes cores, coulda saved another $350 if I woulda used my heads, throttle body and barrells.(which I still have)

shrike96, yep, you missed something, the forged pistons (9.6) are lower comp than the cast (10.25) with stock heads. I actually used the forged instead of cast flat tops cuz I didn't wanna deck my heads for many reasons and the cast hicomp woulda been way to high for me. using .040 hg brings em up to 9.7

I'll be sure to give a seat of the pants report as soon as I can get it on the street.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yup your right missed the head detail, after i reread the post i realized i had a brain fart, lol I am also using big boyz heads as well, but the chamber were so big i had to go with the cast hi comp pistons to get the correct CR. Enjoy it and keep us posted on the performance

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
SEDELUXE05 said:
thanks for posting the dyno just gives me more incentive to get off my a** and get mine started. the wife been pretty tight gripped with the funds lately im going to have to smooze her into giveing up some of the cash.:thumbsup:
Tell you just like I use to tell the girls when I was turning em out "back in the day". You gotta give up that sweet sh!t and give it up just the way they want it if you wanna get the big cash!!! :thumbsup:

OK, here's my first try at photobucket, hope it works.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
CarlEverettNY said:
Is this an SAE dyno plot? 4th or 5th gear run?
First of all, let me say congratulations adlerx. I know that you have been working hard on this build.
BUT............ I have to chime in here. And as long as Carl has brought it up I'm going to give a definitive answer.
In spite of not seeing the standard they used for the dyno, I can say with 100% confidence that IT IS NOT AN SAE CORRECTED RUN. And if it is, is does not belong to that build. There is no way that a 95" running a 37 cam and that compression is making 114 on the TQ line. NO WAY!
And I'll go a bit further and say that you have a good sized dip that you are going to feel in the low end. That thing can sure use a bit more tuning on the low end, especially considering that you are running the Propipe.

The claims being made for the 37 cam on a 95" are sure getting stretched out a bit lately on this forum, and I'll leave it at that.

All the best!

G

1 - 20 of 54 Posts