V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my fender support bolts shook loose and apparently managed to lodge itself down around the drive sprocket where it could dig a nice groove in my drive belt. There's a little furring for lack of a better. term in other areas more random as you can see in this photo. That groove is consistent in depth around the full circumference of the belt. Best I can tell the bolt is no longer in there and I put paint in the groove in a couple locations and have ridden a couple hundred miles to see if it's still wearing. Does not appear to be since the paint is still there. There are no punctures and the toothed side of the belt appears like new.

I have a new belt in hand, as well as new screws for the fender and a plan to add another support on each side to give the fender a little more structural rigidity. After looking in my service manual at the "drive belt wear" pictures nothing like this is included. The photos and advice all focus on the internal tooth side of the belt. This is clearly in the composite part of the belt and hasn't worn down to the steel fiber anywhere around the circumference. Got me wondering if it's ok but makes me nervous to get up to highway speed for long... So I'm leaning toward replacing it and with rainy crappy weather for a few days I have the time. Just hate the idea of opening the primary again...

Any opinions welcome. Would it be reckless to ride it like this for a while and monitor it?
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's the original belt, 16 years old, with that wear, which also probably means heat, I'd replace it.
Well, unfortunately (?) it's only about 4 months old with maybe 3000 miles on it. :mad:The original came apart back in the summer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You've now got a huge gap that may collect more debris and do more damage. I see it as really only 3/4 of a belt with a trough.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kinda what I was thinking too. Well, we've got rain for at least two days and temps below 60 predicted for the next 10 days or so. No better time than now I guess. Then I can ride unworried when we have that "summer in December" weather.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
change it.. the wear was done while the fender bolt was still screwed into the fender,frame rail.. there is no scenario where a fender bolt lodged in a pully and wore 5he belt like it was in a lathe.. belt probably got hot while this happened,, another reason to change it asap.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I'm starting to get the impression you should change it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dannyboy58

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If that's the limit of the damage, and its not a hot rod, I'd run it.
Yea? No concerns about it coming apart?

It's not a hot rod, 95" 92/100 hp/tq, compensator and kush drive still in use and I'm not particularly heavy on the throttle...most of the time. No burnouts or wheelies.

I'd love to avoid tearing the primary apart again but kinda curious to see behind there.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
Yea? No concerns about it coming apart?

It's not a hot rod, 95" 92/100 hp/tq, compensator and kush drive still in use and I'm not particularly heavy on the throttle...most of the time. No burnouts or wheelies.

I'd love to avoid tearing the primary apart again but kinda curious to see behind there.
Its not showing any cord damage, just a loss of a little strip of the backing rubber. It will be more susceptible to damage, having lost a strip of the protecting rubber. And you might find that the inner edge wears off faster than normal. But until I saw some cords or signs of failure, I'd run it.

With that said, I might also keep a belt and the gaskets and such need to replace it on the shelf, so if I saw an issue I could quickly deal with it. You know if it goes bad, you wont notice it until just before you are ready to leave on a long planned roll.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not showing any cord damage, just a loss of a little strip of the backing rubber. It will be more susceptible to damage, having lost a strip of the protecting rubber. And you might find that the inner edge wears off faster than normal. But until I saw some cords or signs of failure, I'd run it.

With that said, I might also keep a belt and the gaskets and such need to replace it on the shelf, so if I saw an issue I could quickly deal with it. You know if it goes bad, you wont notice it until just before you are ready to leave on a long planned roll.
Makes sense. New belt, gaskets, etc already in house.

Thanks for responding boys.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've known some guys to carry one of those "emergency replacement belts" that screw together just in case. Kinda pricey, but stranded is stranded.

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
I am not the brightest bulb in the room, but I would replace it for peace of mind. You are already concerned or you wouldn't have said anything about it. Winter is here for you, 76 here so plenty of time before that temporary thaw in February.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not the brightest bulb in the room, but I would replace it for peace of mind. You are already concerned or you wouldn't have said anything about it. Winter is here for you, 76 here so plenty of time before that temporary thaw in February.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
Quite sure I'll do it before spring since I already have the belt. Just need to psyche myself up for pulling the primary off again. Mid 60s tomorrow here so I want to ride.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Yup, any damage on a belt and I replace them, been stranded twice. Besides I can change a belt in a couple of hours on a softail without removing the oil bag

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts