V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , 1st post , Been snoopin for a while !
I have been riding 20 plus years ! I have never owned a Harley !
I might be buying a 95 ultra , Has a little over 25,000 miles !
Price is $10,000.00 .
Thats more than my current bike that I bought new !
I ride a 04 shadow spirit 1100 . I need pros & cons
what do I look out for ? I am a ford mechanic .
Any known issues ?

Jack

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
I wouldn't consider that an older harley. I'd consider a 70's model older.

That bike for that price with those miles sounds about right. A good price for a good bike.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Shakedown* said:
I wouldn't consider that an older harley. I'd consider a 70's model older.
I agree with Shakedown.

older = shovels :clap:

old = anything older than a shovel {salute(

I have a '94 Softail Custom and love it! I'm not sayin' it's the end-all bike...but it fits me perfect!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
IMHO, going with a newer model is always a good idea...if the dollars are there! Frankly, the price for a 1995 Ultra appears to be a fair one, particularly considering the low miles. The "known" issues with the Evo platform are well known and are associated with the platform and not peculiar to the Ultra. I owned a '92 FXRS for 8 years so I have no problems with the platform; however, the facts speak for themselves---the Twin Cam platform is better than the Evo platform.

However, the aftermarket is alive & well when it comes to the Evo. If you like tinkering, you can definitely tinker with an Evo--successfully & easily! Make an offer of $9K cash and buy the bike. (Hey, buy the bike at $10K but you can buy a LOT of parts with the thousand bucks you save. You don't ask, you don't get!)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Got an 84 fxr, raked, lowered, cam , etc
Also have and 89 FLHT totalley rebuilt.

Built them both, modified both, wouldn't think of spending 2o plus on a sigle bike.

If you can turn a wrench on a car and a truck, you can easily repair and modify a 95 FLHT to run fo many a mile...

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If it was my only rider, I wouldn't buy anything older than 1992. I want to ride more than wrench...and the EVO's by then were pretty refined and reliable.

If I could keep the bike I have now and work on any old bike, I'd like a knucklehead bobber.

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
When the time comes for me to buy another bike (gotta get this one paid off first), I'll probably buy a geezer glide from a poser with little or no miles on it at a good price. That way I can avoid the EPA crap thats coming down the pike.
That will be a while though. My car is a 97 and it will be the next big purchase. Good thing I'm not into cars. None of the new offerings out there interests me right now. I'd really like to get a 68-72 Chevelle for a daily driver. I'd really like the same year wagon.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Last summer went cross country on a bike with 25k+miles. Though I put most of the miles on, and had confidence in it. With any machine it has to prove it self. I wouldn't take it long trips, until it does. But other then that I wouldn't be afraid.

Main thing for me, would be does it seem to be well taken care of.

·
Registered
28 Posts
EVO's rock... The only problem with an 95 ultra is you have the first
edition of the EFI system and parts for that are now and will be harder to come by like the
sensors for the the Marelli EFI ....

Ask me how I know!!

If you can deal with probably eventually upgrading your EFI to aftermarket than go ahead...

If you were getting a carbed EVO - no ploblem!!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I know this probably isn't going to be very popular but for 9-10k more you can get a brand new one off the showroom floor. As far as that price, not to bad. What cracks me up is the guys with 2-3 year old bike asking 18-20k for a bike with 30-40k miles. Thanks, but no thanks. I will buy new. :sofa:

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I bought my 1995 FXDWG 2 years ago and it runs like a NEW one. Doesn't leak a drop, ever. I would say, if you aren't a bike guy yet...find a friend who is..and ask him to check the bike out real close for you. Being that it's a '95, you should be able to take it for a ride and let it get up to operating temp for awhile.
Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older bike - lots of good deals in the used market right now. Plenty of low mileage, like new models out there that can be had for thousands less than a new model. The only problem is making sure the bike in mechanically sound before closing the deal. If you don't feel comfortable checking out the bike yourself then insist the seller take the bike to the nearest shop for a look-over. A good Indy shop may charge you $50 to look the bike over but it's well worth it. The Indy mechanics are usually pretty good about chatting with customers too and will probably tell you about common problems with certain year models.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Old... I wish people would just stop buying old bikes but just crush them. I rather like "owning" an older bike that you just don't see around that much anymore.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
That's not bad money for that bike.

Put it between your knees, shake it back and forth and listen for the wobble.

It it is tight, buy it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
onephsyco1 said:
Hiyears ! I have never owned a Harley !
I might be buying a 95 ultra , Has a little over 25,000 miles !
Price is $10,000.00 .
Thats more than my current bike that I bought new !
I ride a 04 shadow spirit 1100 .
Jack
You really cannot compare these bikes, they are in differant categories.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I see no problems with such a purchase. I recently sold a '95 Roadking with 80,000 miles on it for 9,000, so the price is about right.

The only issue with a 95 EVO would be the cam bearings. The factory originals were a caged roller bearing, and there were some issues with them coming apart with devastating results. Most people replaced the cam with an aftermarket cam, and replace the bearings to Torrington full rollers at the same time.

If the '95 you are looking at hasn't had the bearings changed, I would strongly suggest you do that. Not too pricey, and great insurance.

Regards,

Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts