V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out. It's a cheap cruise control.
http://www.accessoryinternational.com/cruisecontrol.htm

I have one on my Virago and I love it. It really makes the long drives much more enjoyable.
They are made primarily for *** bikes but I am planning on renting a Roadking this summer for a week long trip and I'd like to install one on the bike. Can anyone tell me if there is room (about 2") on the handlebar of a 2002 Roadking
to mount this cruise control? I also need to know the diameter of the handlebar, 1" or 7/8".

Many thanks!

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hard to tell from the picture. They have a 1" bar. May ask them, but the throttle grip assy is a two piece affair that has to engage the front master cylinder assy rather precisely or you will have problems with the brakelites, for the most part staying on.

Personally I would be very reluctant to ride a bike that I'm not real familiar with equipped with something that could be considered a safety item of dubious origin or fitment.

If YOU modified a rented bike and something, even if unrelated, were to happen it's anybodies guess how it would affect insurance coverage.

They have little black plastic rockers that just clip on the grips, and some people are quite satisfied with them, and it would be a real stretch to consider this modifying the bike as they only take 1 or 2 seconds to remove.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo,
Are you saying that Roadkings come with some sort of throttle lock? I just need
something that will hold the throttle in position on long drives. The Vista cruise
control works well and is easy to over ride or flip on and off, but if there is something
better I'm all ears.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
354 Posts
Jim,
My 1998 Electra Glide has a spring loaded friction adjusting screw at the bottom of the throttle grip clamp. You can screw the knob in to increase friction on grip to provide a damping effect on throttle motion. I do not positively know if your newer RoadKing will have one of these. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The little lever I mentioned is a piece of plastic you clip on the grip and allows you to operate the throttle with your palm. It's aftermarket, but most dealers have them, and they cost less then 10 bucks.

But yes, the bikes that do not have cruise control have a little starwheel under the grip where you can adjust the friction so the throttle stays where you set it. Just close the throttle by hand if adjusted to where it will not snap back. It's just hard to adjust on the fly when wearing gloves.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Just the information I needed. I have to have some sort of throttle lock or cruise control otherwise my wrist starts to ache after a while. I tend to spend a lot of time using a trackball and/or mouse at work and I think it's causing some carpel tunnel damage to my wrist.

Cheers
Jim

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
the 01 FLHRCI

Has a small throttle lock underneath the control housings on the handlebar.

I have occasionally tightened this round plastic knob and it WILL lock the throttle in its current position. It works GREAT!

BEWARE: That if you grasp the front/rear brakes that the throttle will REMAIN locked until you release the knob.

It doesnt automatically disengage! :eek:

But like Don B said, the 02's come stock with an ACTUAL cruise control.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts