V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those that have them on their touring bike, how did it change the ride quality? Was it still ridable for long distances?

I would like to put them on my bike for next season but want to make sure I'm not making a mistake. I love the look of the 21"/18" tire combo, but don't want to sacrifice the ride quality.

A friend also mentioned that instead of going with the 21" front tire, that I would be better off with a 19" tire and would look just as good.

Thanks.

· Moneygreen
4,773 Posts
The 21F/18R is a nice looking set up,but I don't know how it would handle.The 19 doesn't come in a 3.50 width on the front though!!!!!Thinking logically I think the 21F would change the rake a tad bit but I could be wrong!!! If it does don't expect the bike to turn in to quick.The turning radius would be different.It would also change the center of gravity on the bike making it taller & more top heavy!!! I could be wrong though!!!!

· Need For Speed
195 Posts
Do It Just Do It

Hey Ram, I had the 21/18 combo put on my '05 Road King Custom when I was in Daytona for Bike week this spring. I love it ! It seems to have no effect on long rides, good or bad. I did notice immediately that the bike seems to center better.

· Site Sponsor
62 Posts
Do it man, you will not be disappointed. The wife and I rode the SG to the Outter banks of NC with a loaded down tour pak and the ride on the bike was great. I think the bike actually handle better myself with the 21/18 combo.

· Registered
223 Posts
Hey Ram, I had the 21/18 combo put on my '05 Road King Custom when I was in Daytona for Bike week this spring. I love it ! It seems to have no effect on long rides, good or bad. I did notice immediately that the bike seems to center better.
got any pics you can post? I've been thinking bout doin that to my '06 R.K. Custom

· Need For Speed
195 Posts
Do The 21/18 Slide

Yeah Bill, I'll dig some up, I know the wife took some on Daytona beach. Please be patient....LOL For the record, I agree with Badx, I think the bike handles better. I lowered the forks 1 inch and left rear alone, I'm running Avons, 150/18 rear, Metzlers are great too.

· Site Sponsor
62 Posts
What brand tires are you running?
Metzlers. When I bought the wheels they had Avons mounted on them. Venom up front and a AV-31 on the rear. Somewhere between 2000 and 2500 miles I was in the cord on the Avon AV-31 so I called the place I got them from thinking I had a defective tire. They said send it back which I did and purchased a Venom for the rear locally. I called the original sellers and they said the tire looked wierd, it was discolored around the outside edge(chicken stripe) of the tire and they were sending it back to Avon for them to inspect. Naturally they asked if I was doing burn outs with the bike which I wasn't and I have never done one with my SG the two years I have had it. I never heard anything back so I called them up and asked what Avon said. I was told Avon said I was doing burn outs with the tire and it would not be covered. [email protected]#K AVON! The venom wore out in 3k miles and I replaced the front and back with Metzlers and have been very happy with them. The first rear lasted over 9k miles and a lot of that was with tour pak on and two up riding. I will never own another set of Avon tires period. To do a little tire test I have a VTX 1300 shop bike and it had a 3/4 wore out rear dumlop on it so I proceeded to burn it off doing burn outs. After around 15 burn outs and 2500 miles of riding the tire still had tread before I finally replaced it. I think the 18" Avons are made out of the wrong compond for a touring bikes weight personally and Avon won't step up and fix the problem....just my .02 on Avons. Metzlers ROCK!

· Registered
11 Posts
all of the bikes with the 21" front tire seems to have a stripped down fender. has anyone ran the stock front fender with a 21" front? also i cant seems to find any pics of an electra glide with the 21" DNA mammoth 52 spoke wheel, does anyone have any imput on how this might look?

· Moneygreen
4,773 Posts
all of the bikes with the 21" front tire seems to have a stripped down fender. has anyone ran the stock front fender with a 21" front? also i cant seems to find any pics of an electra glide with the 21" DNA mammoth 52 spoke wheel, does anyone have any imput on how this might look?
Check hogpro's site!!! They have lots of pics with bikes with their rims!!!!

· Need For Speed
195 Posts
I understand what you mean by stripped down fenders, but they are stock fenders(at least mine is). It shouldn't be any different for an electra glide.

:whistle:

· EagleRider Sucks
376 Posts
The 21/18 is the cool look, for sure, but with lowering the front end, it is a rougher ride. It is not as good as stock, and I am considering switching back to an 18" front. Riding long distances or rough roads is not fun with the lowered front end. It may also depend on the amount of weight up, I'm a big guy, 6'3, 300lb, my buddy who is 5'9" and 185lb likes the ride, good luck with your choice.

· Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 21/18 is the cool look, for sure, but with lowering the front end, it is a rougher ride. It is not as good as stock, and I am considering switching back to an 18" front. Riding long distances or rough roads is not fun with the lowered front end. It may also depend on the amount of weight up, I'm a big guy, 6'3, 300lb, my buddy who is 5'9" and 185lb likes the ride, good luck with your choice.
I do a lot of long weekend rides and that's why I'm reconsidering going with a 18.5 or 19" wheel. I DON"T want to lose the comfort of the wide tire up front

I'm thinking of also going with low profile tires, but heard that it will give you a rougher ride. This is turning out to be a not so easy decision.

· Registered
132 Posts
iam running the stock fender ...i think the 21 fills the space well...as far as the rear,the 18 and the 16 are the same diameter overall, i figure since the 16 has more sidewall you will get a softer ride ,and if you need a new tire quick they are more available

· Registered
6 Posts
Listen, that set up is awesome, it handle well and tight. I have a 2006 Flhtpi with a 21 hogpro rim/avon tire and the stock 16 in the rear. Also, the bike is lowered in the front and rear and rides like hell on wheels. But, let me tell you I have installed the Glide Pro stablizer into my ride and now it I love the handling (especially hitting 100mph at times). I just went to Boca Raton to Key West Rally in September and last month I was in Daytona, my scoot ran like a champ, no problems even with the grooved, pitted, pothole, uneven I95 pavement. Also, don't worry about the extra weight, I had my woman, both side bags filled and a huge pack in the rear and I was stil roaring without any problems. I recently, put on 16inch apes on my ride, due to the original bars killed my shoulders. Anyway, hopefully that helped out. I will have pics of my 06 soon..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.