V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Ultra Classic with almost 30,000 miles on it. I've done the 95" kit, pipe, cam, race tuner, etc... Also some chrome stuff (front end, handlebar controls, a few miscellaneous pieces). And, lots of electronics that I could potentially take with me in a trade (XM, GPS, Bluetooth, radar detector, high output audio). Figure $8,000 worth of stuff I added that won't be worth anything in a trade. Again, hopefully I can take all the electronics.

Plan A: Trade in for a 2008 model with ABS, do a 103" kit, transfer the elctronic goodies, and try and stay out of the chrome doodad aisle. I'm guessing this trade will cost $10,000.

Plan B: Keep my 2006. Spend $10,000 on building a big engine (S&S 124" kit or Zipper's 120") and put in a 6 speed and stronger clutch. Be one of the few Ultra's out there that can pull wheelies. Maybe buy some Performance Machine brakes and rotors to slow down? Or a custom paint job?

Plan C: Do nothing. I already own my bike outright and it's got plenty of life left in it. Salivate over 2008 models with ABS and 6 gallon tanks.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
It's easy to want to trade up with the new improvements and the ABS is a great thing. But from what you have said you already have a sweet scooter. My -2$en#e- keep the one you have.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Well heres my opinion. I did the zippers 120 and after 6,000 miles on it I can tell you its one awsome engine, runs very strong. Don't even know you got a trailer behind you and never shift out of 6th gear. Great running engine.

Now the bad news. I have it in an 06 ultra classic. I can't run the lower fairings at all in the summer as the heat is so hot it burns my wifes lower legs. So you have to leave them off!!!

You have less than 10 minutes of idle time before the overheat light comes on when idling. Sounds like a lots but when you get stuck at traffic lights and don't get though on the first try, you will be shutting it off. If you get caught in constructin zones and the vehicles are moving at less than 20mph you will over heat!! If you go to any bike events you will over heat!!!

I love the motor but its not worth it. I talked to zippers about the heat and they told me that it should of never been installed in that bike at all and also if you do any city driving its not good for that either.

Its a great machine on the country roads and freeways, but other than that you will regret it.

I actually sold mine already and getting a 2008 Ultra. Its got the same power as my 95 I replaced in my 06 and that was with 203 cams,stage 1 filter and pipes and a sert!!

I hear everyone complain how hot the bikes run and they burn your leg ect. Well my 06 95 engine did too. Its air cooled with an exhaust pipe inches from your right leg. What does anyone expect!!

So I say go for it and leave the motor alone since everyone says they are running great right out of the box. Not to mention you have the added safety of ABS.

·
Registered
729 Posts
American Iron Mag had some great info comparing the power of engine and final drive figures for both the 95 and new 96. I have to agree that since the 96 is a stroked 88, then the 95 should hold its own.

Give the ABS a year or so to make sure all the bugs are worked out. 1 extra gallon is not that much anyway. I have spoken with folks with 95" that put a true 6 speed tranny (the 6th grear at .89 to 1) and they love it on the open road but have to drop to pass quick and run 5th on the back roads.

From what I have heard and read about the new bikes, some of them have that problem as well.

Finally, you know you will not be able to stay out of the chrome aisle if you got a new bike, so save the $$$ and keep what you got.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Upgrade...I did. Even though my SEUC has ABS as Standard equipment they really work well. The ABS doesn't have any bugs to work out. The MOCO has been offering it on Police Bikes for a while. My break-in mileage has been 40 mpg (and that is with the 110" motor)...so you get some long distance range with a 6 gallon tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is a different abs system than in the police bikes of the past. Also, according to a local indy, the new abs system makes it impossible for anyone other than the dealer to do any brake work(changing pads, etc.) because it requires tools(probably a digital technician to reset the system or some other nonesense) that are only available to dealers. I am not sure if this is true, but would not suprise me at all.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
I'd keep it and ride the snot out of it. If you go to trade it on a 08 your more than likely to take a bath. I was at the dealer the other day and saw a 06 Ultra with 11k miles that used to have a 18,500 price tag on it marked down to $16,200. There is nothing wrong with the bike, they figure it might be because the bike is white. I've looked at the 08's and I'm just not impressed enough to get off a perfectly fine running 06.

·
Registered
729 Posts
CityOf9Gates said:
It is a different abs system than in the police bikes of the past. Also, according to a local indy, the new abs system makes it impossible for anyone other than the dealer to do any brake work(changing pads, etc.) because it requires tools(probably a digital technician to reset the system or some other nonesense) that are only available to dealers. I am not sure if this is true, but would not suprise me at all.
It is true, you must use the Digitech to keep the ABS system from messing up when bleeding the brakes.

Funny thing is my HUGE Ford Excursion does not need me to hook up life support to bleed its brakes and they are ABS.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Keep what you have and ride it. That is what I am doing with my '06 RG. Simply not enough changes to make me want or "need" to go thru the hassle of getting another touring bike just like I like it.

Answer would be different if there was a hot rod high HP water cooled new fangled super duper RG out there.

Guess I will ride and enjoy what I have until they make that one.

Note I did spring for another second scoot recently , a NT so maybe I have surpressed some of the desire for a new toy that way.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Road Glider said:
Keep what you have and ride it. That is what I am doing with my '06 RG. Simply not enough changes to make me want or "need" to go thru the hassle of getting another touring bike just like I like it.

Answer would be different if there was a hot rod high HP water cooled new fangled super duper RG out there.

Guess I will ride and enjoy what I have until they make that one.

Note I did spring for another second scoot recently , a NT so maybe I have surpressed some of the desire for a new toy that way.
I might line up if HD makes a RG Ultra version, but I do love my ugly EG cop bike.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There is a great review of the new ABS system in the latest American Rider magazine. The editor who wrote the article was very impressed with the ABS. He tested it every which way from Sunday both with the ABS activated and with it disabled to see if he could out perform the ABS. He said that as long as he made no mistakes while trying to stop, he could outperform it slightly. However he said that 90% of the time, when performing maximum effort stops, he made a mistake which cost him in distance. His mistake was usually slightly locking up one of the tires and having to release it. He has done a lot of racing of motorcycles and is very familiar with braking technique and is probably a lot less likely to make a braking mistake than you and I are. In addition, when we are trying to make maximum effort stops because of an emergent situation, our mental attention is divided between the situation and the braking technique, which will also make it likely we would make a mistake close to 100% of the time, increasing our stopping distance. ABS allows you to concentrate on the situation and not on your braking technique. Probably a life saver. So life saver vs cost of replacing pads, probably worth the cost of whatever it will take to replace the pads.

That said, I'll probably continue to ride the '03 Ultra I have until the budget will allow me to trade up. My next one will probably be a Road Glide with whatever it takes to equip it like an Ultra. Wonder why Harley doesn't just come out with one already that way?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
bigbluff said:
My next one will probably be a Road Glide with whatever it takes to equip it like an Ultra. Wonder why Harley doesn't just come out with one already that way?
I might be wrong but I'm betting its because they sell 3 - 5 Ultras to 1 RG. Around this area your hard pressed to see a RG, the dealer doesn't realy bother putting them on the floor because they've gotten stuck with them and had to mark them down to get rid of them.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
msocko3 said:
I might be wrong but I'm betting its because they sell 3 - 5 Ultras to 1 RG. Around this area your hard pressed to see a RG, the dealer doesn't realy bother putting them on the floor because they've gotten stuck with them and had to mark them down to get rid of them.

Strange. Around here the dealers say you don't see them on the floor because lately they are generally sold before the can get them out of the back assembly. They still sell more EGs because they can't get more RGs. The last 2 dealers I stopped in commented that in there opinion the RG is now considered the flagship in their opinion. It is making for good controversy and argument either way. Both are great rides and draw die hard fans for different reasons. A little sibling rivalry keeps the household lively. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
729 Posts
gkellys said:
Strange. Around here the dealers say you don't see them on the floor because lately they are generally sold before the can get them out of the back assembly. They still sell more EGs because they can't get more RGs. The last 2 dealers I stopped in commented that in there opinion the RG is now considered the flagship in their opinion. It is making for good controversy and argument either way. Both are great rides and draw die hard fans for different reasons. A little sibling rivalry keeps the household lively. :thumbsup:
Now wait a minute, I recall the RG got the silver finish engines just a few years ago. The powertrain looked like a EG standard or softail standard. So it looked like it was a "cheaper" bike.

So if the RG is supposed to eb the flagship, then why not make a RG Ultra like the old Tour Glides? I would buy one, but as it is now to pay so much and then have to add truck, CB, and such is kind of a slap in the face from MOCO.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
gkellys said:
I think its pretty much what each area likes or dislikes. Its almost like the V-Rod, some places can sell the snot out of them and others can't hardly give them away. There's nothing wrong with the RG, its just a different look.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts