V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Whoops, Guess I had a comprehension fart. 90/90 would be no problem with even a 95". I have that with my 95" flattops and later model -06 heads with just cleaned up ports and a Andrews 26, but I would recommend 37's, The build that Don Dorfman recommended. I installed the 26's while still an 88", they have great lowend torque but they flatten out above 4500rpm with the 95". I put a 98" kit in a friends bike 2 years ago, I was told the stock cylinders can be weak and have to be bored perfectly straight , which sometimes they are not from the factory, or you risk thin spots prone to cracking. He wanted them, I wouldn't have. Maybe 97". Aftermarket cylinders are supposed to be made with a better quality steel liner.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Whoops, Guess I had a comprehension fart. 90/90 would be no problem with even a 95". I have that with my 95" flattops and later model -06 heads with just cleaned up ports and a Andrews 26, but I would recommend 37's, The build that Don Dorfman recommended. I installed the 26's while still an 88", they have great lowend torque but they flatten out above 4500rpm with the 95". I put a 98" kit in a friends bike 2 years ago, I was told the stock cylinders can be weak and have to be bored perfectly straight , which sometimes they are not from the factory, or you risk thin spots prone to cracking. He wanted them, I wouldn't have. Maybe 97". Aftermarket cylinders are supposed to be made with a better quality steel liner.
Andrews cams won't be an option. It is a Woods kit so The hydaulic cam - oil pump / lifters / and cams are all Woods products. You get a choice of either the TW6 or TW555 for your cams.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Andrews cams won't be an option. It is a Woods kit so The hydaulic cam - oil pump / lifters / and cams are all Woods products. You get a choice of either the TW6 or TW555 for your cams.
Question, You got a guy to bolt the kit on? What has your budget went to for the kit and labor? Seeing if your in the ball park for fairness

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You might take a look at Kirby or someone in your area. They may make you a better deal on a setup that is deigned to work together. Kirby's 98 kit includes head work. Engine Combinations - Services - VEE-TWIN Performance Center
The kit I'm buying is $2300 and is a Woods kit which has
CP Carillo Forged Pistons
Precision bored OEM cylinders
Hydraulic Roller Cam Chain Conversion Kit with high flow oil pump
Cams
Lifters
All Gaskets / O rings / and Torrington bearings

The Indy shop says I need an adjustable ignition module for tuning $358, oil change $50, and 8 hours of labor at $840. About $3700 when all is said and done. If I dont go big bore and just do the cam with the hydraulic chain kit it's around $2100. The ignition module is recommended but not a required if I do cam only which would add 358 to that total. Still waiting on one other shop to get back to me. I'f I do cam upgrade only I can use any cam I want which would be the CR570-2. I checked out the site you linked (thanks by the way) and it is missing several things I need such as the hydraulic cam / oil change etc. I do plan on calling them however. Thanks for the tip. I'm probably not going to do heads at the moment because this is prime riding season down here in FL and most places have 5 or 6 week waits to get your heads back. Us Florida guys do engine mods in the summer instead of the winter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Question, You got a guy to bolt the kit on? What has your budget went to for the kit and labor? Seeing if your in the ball park for fairness
98 big bore kit which includes hydraulic chain tensioner / oil pump kit, labor which includes purchase of adjustable ignition module, tune, etc is around 3700. Could be higher if adjustable clutch kit is needed. Just cam with hydraulic chain tensioner / oil pump kit and everything needed is 2100. I've been told that adjustable ignition module and tune is not required but recommended which would add 358 to that total.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Or you could save half and end up with the same result. Me personally I would go that route and spend money on porting the heads which adds a solid 10hp. Harleys hybrid oil pump and kit are go to by me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Or you could save half and end up with the same result. Me personally I would go that route and spend money on porting the heads which adds a solid 10hp. Harleys hybrid oil pump and kit are go to by me.
I'm also checking into that. Appreciate the suggestion.

·
Registered
2005 FLHTCUI
113 Posts
I asked myself this same question awhile back. If you plan on keeping the bike it’s worth it, but your right, you’ll never get your money out of the upgrades. I have an 05 Bagger and I’m spending way more than the bike is worth upgrading the engine. I did a 95” build on a Dyna years ago and it was fun , a huge upgrade from the 88” , but it wasn’t enough. This time I’m going 117” from the bottom up. Thank you Don Dorffman and H-D STREET PERFORMANCE! Is it worth it ??? HELL YES!!!

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,215 Posts
Damn! I miss the popcorn eatin smiley.

·
Registered
17,583 Posts
Damn! I miss the popcorn eatin smiley.
Me, too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2006 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
4 Posts
Hi fellas, just joined & i’ll say hi on the welcome page. I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in.

Commish00, i am getting ready to do the same as you. I have an appt July 14th at fuel moto to have the 98 big bore, cams, heads, & what ever else it needs done on my 06 road king w/ 19000 mi. I’ve thought about doing this for a long time, & heres why it makes sense for me to throw the money at it:

1: right now it is pushing upper 70s hp & upper 80s tq. I’ll have to look at the dyno sheet for exact numbers. It has s&s power tune head pipes, cobra neighbor haters, breather, etc, power vision tune on local dyno. Runs great sounds great but it could use a little more pull & go. The whole bike is in great shape, so to me its worth it.

2: I thought about a newer bike with a bigger engine, and if it made sense to upgrade an older one. This will probably be my last bike, right now it is heavily modded with the usual upgrades to make it mine & since i’ve already got money in this one, it doest make sense for me to buy an expensive newer bike & start all over again

3: I thought it would be neat to do something different. I know right now everybody is upgrading the M8s right now to 124, 130 & bigger, & thats cool, but i thought for me having an 88 pushing hopefully 100hp or a little better would maybe be something worth talking about.

4: Unless something happens, I do not plan on selling the bike. Someday in the future I hope to give it to my son & wanted it to be something he would enjoy & appreciate. So i took that into consideration also. Give him something cool that the old man did.

Idk, maybe all that doesnt make sense but thats how i talked myself into it. Worth it? Prob not, but we generally dont splurge on things or go on vacations either, so this’ll be my one big money pit

I can PM ya the 2 quotes from fuel moto if ya want to see the breakdowns & pricing. I’m only 8 hrs south of them so it made sense to go there, plus they do it all inside of 2 days, so it’ll be a small get away for us too.

Thanks for reading & i look forward to being on the forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi fellas, just joined & i’ll say hi on the welcome page. I know this is an old post but wanted to chime in.

Commish00, i am getting ready to do the same as you. I have an appt July 14th at fuel moto to have the 98 big bore, cams, heads, & what ever else it needs done on my 06 road king w/ 19000 mi. I’ve thought about doing this for a long time, & heres why it makes sense for me to throw the money at it:

1: right now it is pushing upper 70s hp & upper 80s tq. I’ll have to look at the dyno sheet for exact numbers. It has s&s power tune head pipes, cobra neighbor haters, breather, etc, power vision tune on local dyno. Runs great sounds great but it could use a little more pull & go. The whole bike is in great shape, so to me its worth it.

2: I thought about a newer bike with a bigger engine, and if it made sense to upgrade an older one. This will probably be my last bike, right now it is heavily modded with the usual upgrades to make it mine & since i’ve already got money in this one, it doest make sense for me to buy an expensive newer bike & start all over again

3: I thought it would be neat to do something different. I know right now everybody is upgrading the M8s right now to 124, 130 & bigger, & thats cool, but i thought for me having an 88 pushing hopefully 100hp or a little better would maybe be something worth talking about.

4: Unless something happens, I do not plan on selling the bike. Someday in the future I hope to give it to my son & wanted it to be something he would enjoy & appreciate. So i took that into consideration also. Give him something cool that the old man did.

Idk, maybe all that doesnt make sense but thats how i talked myself into it. Worth it? Prob not, but we generally dont splurge on things or go on vacations either, so this’ll be my one big money pit

I can PM ya the 2 quotes from fuel moto if ya want to see the breakdowns & pricing. I’m only 8 hrs south of them so it made sense to go there, plus they do it all inside of 2 days, so it’ll be a small get away for us too.

View attachment 269684
I did alot of research and decided not to go with the Fuel Moto kit but instead went with a different set up. Ended up saving me a few bucks and allowed me more flexabilty in choosing components, compression, etc. I also went with ported heads as when the engine was pulled apart found out I had 05 heads which were very restrictive. They changed the heads in 06 I believe. In the end I came to the conclusion that I was keeping the bike awhile so it was worth the investment. I never had it dyno'd but obviously the bike is much faster now than when just stage one. I like the Fuel Moto kit just decided to go a different route is all. Best of luck with your build

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
It sounds like you have a plan then. There are many alternative bores. I regularly do 96" which is 3.915. This is a conscious decision based on reliability, real world.

·
Registered
59 Posts

I did the fm98 kit acouple months ago. On a softail standard and am happy with the decision. There are alot of choices out there.
Nice difference over the stock 88

·
Registered
2006 Harley Davidson Road King Classic
4 Posts
I did the fm98 kit acouple months ago. On a softail standard and am happy with the decision. There are alot of choices out there.
Nice difference over the stock 88
Flo-rida, I was curious what hp/tq gains you saw with that kit? Did you do heads also. Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ordered the kit and tuner with a pre programed map from them and installed myself. My bike is an 04 so i ran the tw6-6r cam with the stock heads. Didn't want to drop the extra $ for the heads as i was shopping for a road glide anyway. Runs alot stronger than the 88.
I haven't dynoed it as the tune they supplied
Ran great out of the box.
They have dyno charts on their site

21 - 40 of 41 Posts