V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with them?
Thinking of putting a set on my bike, just like some feedback be it good or bad.
Thanks

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I am also considering different shocks for my Deuce, specifically the ones that will also lower the rear. I read just recently at a vendor's site, that the Works shocks are designed for the heavy rider, around 250 lbs. I have a Works brochure that doesn't mention this though. I have my eye on the Progressive 413's, and hear nothing but positive comments on these. The Progressive rep at last years bike show did mention that the air ride setup wasn't ideal for Deuces, but better for 2up riding or touring bikes. I hear lowering kits :yikes: give a harder ride, so am definitely considering different rear shocks. One thing for sure, $400 for a pair of shocks is outrageous!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I just lowered the rear of my Deuce 1" using Progressive's lowering kit and yes the ride is now a little on the harsh side. I've found a lot of positive about Progressive's 413 shocks, but some have posted the 413's are too soft and have bottomed out on occasion. I have not been able to get much info on Works, Essex or Ohlin shocks, but I believe they would all give a much nicer ride than stock shocks with a lowering kit. I will be replacing my setup in the future with adjustable shocks from either Progressive, Works or Essex, Ohlins are just too much money IMO unless I can find an unbeatable deal on ebay. I will also be sure to get shocks that have adjustable dampening or can be customs configured by the mfg. for my profile.

By the way, I had the lowering kit installed by the dealer along with some other winter upgrades and my dealer refused to lower a Deuce anymore than 1". This was ok with me because an inch got me the look of the SE Deuce which is what I wanted, but I know some have gone as much as 2" which can cause you to run into other related problems going that low on a Deuce, especially if you ever ride 2up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Gooms said:
I am also considering different shocks for my Deuce, specifically the ones that will also lower the rear. I read just recently at a vendor's site, that the Works shocks are designed for the heavy rider, around 250 lbs. I have a Works brochure that doesn't mention this though. I have my eye on the Progressive 413's, and hear nothing but positive comments on these. The Progressive rep at last years bike show did mention that the air ride setup wasn't ideal for Deuces, but better for 2up riding or touring bikes. I hear lowering kits :yikes: give a harder ride, so am definitely considering different rear shocks. One thing for sure, $400 for a pair of shocks is outrageous!
Just installed the 413's on my Deuce. They were giving to me by a friend who sold his Fat Boy and had never installed them, He paid about $380 + for the chrome ones. Any way they for sure ride better than the stock shocks. I have them lowered to fender at edge of rim. Have them set at the medium position or 2nd position what ever. Have not bottomed out yet. If I go double, I would set the adjustment to the 3rd postion for a stiffer shock, and may have to raise it a touch, but have not been there yet.

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Wild-deuce, thanks for the feedback. Any tips or concerns when you installed the 413's? Did you lift your bike in front of the shocks, tie it down, and also lifted rear tire to help remove and install? I'd like to get the Progressives since they seem to be the cheapest, considering they'll ride better and lower the rear as well. Those other brands mentioned are a bit more in costs, some way more!
Thanks in advance,
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts