V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bike back with the cams installed. With the SE Heads, Flat Tops and Fatcat, the bike is FAST. I had forgotten how strong the Wood Cams were and had never had a TW6 grind. Very nice combo as already suggested and used by many forum members. I haven't even done a full custom SERT tune yet, just a download for the cams and pipes, so I don't know what the numbers are yet, (I'll get it to a customer tuner hopefully next week), and post them here. Where the old SE 203's pulled hard from down load, there was too much cranking compression for the overall set-up, and the Wood cams solve that. I still use the compression releases, but can easily see they aren't as necessary with the TW6. The 6 also pulls HARD down low just as advertised and doesn't quit pulling till, well till I don't know cause I haven't pushed it much past 4500 yet, but where the 203's stared to fade around 3600, the Wood cams are just digging in~!Awesome!
Now a word on the the, ahemmmm, infamous Wood cam noise. I had the TW 5G's before and can't say I really ever noticed any excessive noise other than fairly loud gear whine. I came off of SE 211's to them, so I would have had a good comparison. I really thought (hoped) that the low lift TW 6 chain drive cams would be quiet, but I can't say that's the case. After running with the surprisingly hard pulling silent 203's, the TW6's are making quite a lot of racket, as in valve noise. I have a very present and pretty consistent
"ticking" at idle and through the gears, worse down low and far less in 5th gear. I honestly don't remember the old bike being this loud with the higher lift Wood cams, but I may just not remember. I almost hate to open this up again, but, there it is...the good, scratch that-the great...TW6 = truly awesome performance for this simple build. The bad or at least the "not so good", is the ticking I picked up. I love these cams, just like my old ones and is why I went that route again, but I have to say, all things being equal, I guess I'd opt for similar/same performance without the noise. It's not like it's a good high performance noise in my book...rather just added noise to an otherwise very smooth running motor. So, on the Plus side:

-serious grunt from this very strong mild cam down low
-pulls hard way into the rev band. Fifth gear roll on's are a blast
-great match to SE Heads, Flat Tops and 10-1CR
-sound may not bother some in the least

On the Con side:

-noise. That's it.

So guess I'll ask the question again, is it hit or miss with the Wood cams? Do they get quieter or louder with use? Can they be quieted down during tuning?

I did do my research when selecting the cams and got a varied group of answers; all the way from "quiet as stock" to "loud as hell" and appreciate all the feedback, but looks like I fell somewhere in the middle. I'm not completely unhappy, but all things being equal would have preferred quiet:)

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Cams

What you are probably hearing is the spring loaded chain shoes getting thrown around.
We use the chain 6 in 06 and up Dyna/FLT's, and all other hyhralic set-ups. Quiet.
All others get the gear drives. Ouiet.

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I have the TW6, and hydraulic tensioners as well. Its noisy. Do yourself a favor and do not chase this problem. It is my belief it cannot be solved. I'm used to the noise now.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
Noise is power.......bring it on :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice from all! I do LOVE these cams! Actually already getting used to it. I'll post my dyno after my tune.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hillsidecycle.com said:
What you are probably hearing is the spring loaded chain shoes getting thrown around.
We use the chain 6 in 06 and up Dyna/FLT's, and all other hyhralic set-ups. Quiet.
All others get the gear drives. Ouiet.
Not sure I follow. I'm using the chain 6 in an 06 FLHX. How do you avoid the chain shoes getting thrown around? Thanks for all your input by the way. These cams make serious power.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
I have the TW6, and hydraulic tensioners as well. Its noisy. Do yourself a favor and do not chase this problem. It is my belief it cannot be solved. I'm used to the noise now.
Your belief is well [email protected]:

:thanks: :spank: :thanks:

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
BBfxst said:
TW6G~!Awesome!
That (G) will help................

:thanks: :xhere: :thanks:

·
Registered
96 Posts
TW6G here and really pretty quiet. A great performer from off idle right to the rev limiter. I've seen a couple of 6H's and they are not nearly as quiet, seems there's always a tradeoff.
They do like compression but with the early intake close can make for a tedious tune to avoid ping and hard starting but still a cam with basically small numbers can make a stought performer.
101 H/P and 108 TQ here and in a Dyna with an experienced rider goes 11.60 at 115 mph in the quarter. On the rode loaded up still gets gas mileage in the upper 40's. Happy here and would do it again.

Al

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
Pikeslayer said:

@gree: There noisey and thats the way they are. You've just got to live with it...

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
foddlefadel said:
Jagman, were you able to resolve the noise issues with your tw6s?
:thanks:[/Q

No, but honestly have to say, the noise isn't THAT bad. The old SE cams were silent, the Wood cams make some noise. It isn't something that I have to explain to someone standing next to me when I start it up:) The last tuner that heard them, said he didn't notice any noise. They have actually gotten quieter on thier own, or so it seems. I'm ok with them they way they are.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
JagmanR said:
foddlefadel said:
Jagman, were you able to resolve the noise issues with your tw6s?
:thanks:[/Q

No, the Wood cams make some noise. It isn't something that I have to explain to someone standing next to me when I start it up. I'm ok with them.

@gree: Enjoy your ride.................

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Long Rider
160 Posts
Ran the TW5G's in my 03 - great cam, gobs of low end tq. Fairly quiet but a little noise. Have not run the 6's. Was running the TW400-6 in my 07 103". Actually called Bob Woods to ask if all the racket was normal. These cams created one hell of a racket in the valve train. I adjusted, readjusted, changed lifters, readjusted and still the noise didn't change. Again, great cams for power, just noisy.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
It is in my humble opinion the stock new style hydraulic cam chain tensioner assy. are more noisy then the old style spring cam chain tensioners setup. Not a biggie, but some people's quiet is not so quiet to others. Overall the engine is Harley quiet. :blink:

Thorns

1 - 15 of 15 Posts